Security Cameras?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YellowSocks

Reaction score
Hi!!
It's been ages, but I'm popping in to ask about security cameras. I did do a quick search and didn't see anything recent, so I apologize if you've been talking about them a lot already.
Anybody have cameras? Any particular kind? We are in a safe town and safe neighborhood but some years someone steals my kids' pumpkins, or knocks over their snowmen, so one of my boys wants a camera for his birthday. It's probably just university students and other kids, so I'm not sure the cost is really justified, but I like the idea of a little extra security, particularly around the exterior doors.
Naturally, there are tons of different kinds of cameras and systems to wade through. Thanks in advance for advice and comments.
Sorry it's been so long. Ever since I got my smart phone a few years back I'm on my laptop less often. I'm doing about the same... busy but good. My boys are in sixth grade now, and moved to the public school this year. I was hoping that would mean I would be less overwhelmed but that hasn't been the case so far. Business is not booming, but we're doing OK. The innkeepers in my town all meet together every few months for lunch, which has been really nice.
I hope you're all doing well and staying as busy as you'd like to be!
=)
Kk.

How nice to hear from you ! Though I'm sorry you're having issues like that
I can't recommend a camera but I did just read an article about where to place them right here I've a friend who, before he got cameras, just put up stickers saying he had them and vandalism went down.
Will always remember your kindness to me when I was new in the biz.

Aw, thanks! I miss being here!
I wouldn't call it "issues" per se.... but it's a little annoying.
I have a friend who lives south of town who got broken into during the day by people looking to pawn stuff for drug money. They don't have a dog. Nine months later it happened again. I think we are a LOT less vulnerable because we're in town, and as a B&B we have people coming and going during the day (as opposed to my friend... everyone was at work or school both times). There are definitely people knocking on the doors of houses in the country and if no one answers they go around back and break in.
Thanks for the article!

I should ask the priest what kind of camera they put in the Chapel that has a lot of us TOTALLY upset. Since I am afraid of what I might say to him, I cannot ask.

I should ask the priest what kind of camera they put in the Chapel that has a lot of us TOTALLY upset. Since I am afraid of what I might say to him, I cannot ask..
gillumhouse said:
I should ask the priest what kind of camera they put in the Chapel that has a lot of us TOTALLY upset. Since I am afraid of what I might say to him, I cannot ask.
They put a camera in the chapel?????

I should ask the priest what kind of camera they put in the Chapel that has a lot of us TOTALLY upset. Since I am afraid of what I might say to him, I cannot ask..
gillumhouse said:
They put a camera in the chapel?????
Yes. This priest has said he does not care if the Chapel is closed. He has nothing in it and would not be sorry to see it go. The camera is in a corner over one of the banks of candles. The ONLY reason I do not quit is I will not give him the satisfaction of having a reason to close it. That is also why I was there 8 hours a week go - the person who was supposed to come in and put the Host away at Midnight did not show up at 11. The next scheduled was 6 AM. That is when I left - when the next person came in.

Costco sells systems. Lorex Eco Stratus. In Canada, at least. Two or four camera. I got the two camera so that I could watch the parking lot and the front door while I'm busy in the laundry room because I hated not hearing the door bell and DH hated babysitting the door. Just allows me to see the cars pulling in. Been great so far. I set it up myself. Really have to do the step by step instructions m

We have 3 one where I can see people on the front step, one covering the car park (mainly so I can see cars pulling in so I can make sure they park properly and 3rd covers the route to the breakfast room so I can work in my office with the door shut but be up and ready as the first one comes down. - the main thing is to put reasonable signs up about it - just knowing they are there reduces trouble.

Welcome back, Socks! I'm not here much myself since closing the biz, but I know that you've been missed. Glad to hear that you and your boys are doing well.
heart.gif

We had some issues in our downtown neighborhood as well (mostly petty stuff), but people got worried and bought cameras. Mostly at Best Buy or big box warehouse club stores. Gives them piece of mind, but often the images have not been good enough to really help the police in their investigations.
Best of luck in your search!

Back