Seeking homestay in Luray Area

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

egoodell

Reaction score
Hi Catlady and/or anyone near Luray
We are having problems with the housing in the Luray area for the medical students. I have probably asked you this in in the past but my memory fails me.
Our medical students (University of Virginia) come to the Luray area to work with Dr. Switzer from time to time and a couple other docs for 17 days. Naturally, the university has an unrealistic idea of what I can find for housing that is not a motel or hotel (the little darlings need protection...) and will pay only up to $50 per night.
We often can find a B&B that has the dreaded bath down the hall, or a household whose child is at university somewhere and has an extra bedroom. They do not need to feed these kids or give them any amenities. It would be nice if they had a kitchen but have a food allowance if no ktichen. They can even bring their own sheets and towels. The rooms do not need to be fluffed, and they can be asked to check out for the weekend for higher paying guests and check back in on Sunday.
If anyone knows of anybody who may be interested in this, please let me know, thanks!
Erika

Hey, that is my doctor:)
I don't know of anyone off hand..but I have sent your request to the CHamber Director in hopes she might know of someone. Unfortunately the B & B friends I have here are so popular that they are filled most of the time and could not help out.

I don't know of anyone off hand..but I have sent your request to the CHamber Director in hopes she might know of someone. Unfortunately the B & B friends I have here are so popular that they are filled most of the time and could not help out..
catlady said:
I don't know of anyone off hand..but I have sent your request to the CHamber Director in hopes she might know of someone. Unfortunately the B & B friends I have here are so popular that they are filled most of the time and could not help out.
Yes, your friends would not be able to do it since they keep wanting to send them during popular tourist travel times. But the Chamber was a great idea. It may get the word out to someone with an extra bedroom!
Thanks very much!
Erika

I don't know of anyone off hand..but I have sent your request to the CHamber Director in hopes she might know of someone. Unfortunately the B & B friends I have here are so popular that they are filled most of the time and could not help out..
catlady said:
Yes, your friends would not be able to do it since they keep wanting to send them during popular tourist travel times. But the Chamber was a great idea. It may get the word out to someone with an extra bedroom!
Thanks very much!
Erika
Actually there is someone here who has done this. I will email you off forum.

Wish I was close enough to help. Good luck..
gillumhouse said:
Wish I was close enough to help. Good luck.
I do too since you would be so perfect for the kids. But the only WV location is I think on the other side of the state from you.
RIki
Probably the D O School in Lewisburg? Way downstate! But if you ever get them doing work with anything at UHC, Fairmont, Clarksburg, Morgantown, etc just let me know. The new UHC will will be a hair over 6 miles from the house.

gillumhouse said:
I do too since you would be so perfect for the kids. But the only WV location is I think on the other side of the state from you.
RIki
Probably the D O School in Lewisburg? Way downstate! But if you ever get them doing work with anything at UHC, Fairmont, Clarksburg, Morgantown, etc just let me know. The new UHC will will be a hair over 6 miles from the house.
gillumhouse said:
No ithey don't go to a school. They work with doctors, and there is a doctor I think in Northern Virginia that takes our students. The housing is in Moorefield, WV. We can only place the students in Virginia to work as some of the funding is from the state.
Riki

gillumhouse said:
RIki
gillumhouse said:
What you need to find out is if your medical schools send out students to work with any doctors in your area. If your doctors take students, they often don't want to burden them with housing them as well. That's where you'll find the students who may need housing. And I think they have away work for nursing students too. So ask all your docs if they take any students for clerkships and if they do, where they have the housing set up. We're always looking for more housing since budgets are getting cut again.
RIki

catlady said:
Thanks very much!
Erika
catlady said:
Many thanks!!!
Riki

gillumhouse said:
RIki
gillumhouse said:
No ithey don't go to a school. They work with doctors, and there is a doctor I think in Northern Virginia that takes our students. The housing is in Moorefield, WV. We can only place the students in Virginia to work as some of the funding is from the state.
Riki

Too far east for me to help. Are you having a hard time finding lodging there?

gillumhouse said:
RIki
gillumhouse said:
What you need to find out is if your medical schools send out students to work with any doctors in your area. If your doctors take students, they often don't want to burden them with housing them as well. That's where you'll find the students who may need housing. And I think they have away work for nursing students too. So ask all your docs if they take any students for clerkships and if they do, where they have the housing set up. We're always looking for more housing since budgets are getting cut again.
RIki
We have a med school in Morgantown but I have never heard of that program. What would be the title of the person stuck with the job of finding houseing for this?

gillumhouse said:
RIki
gillumhouse said:
Riki

gillumhouse said:
We have a hard time because the university won't place them in motels or hotels as they are not "safe" (good grief these kids are 25 and older). They want them in homes or B&Bs but they don't want to pay more than $40 - $50 a night. Talk about unrealistic.
The kids whine but what we do is have the B&Bs check them out for the weekends so that we can work around their bookings so as not to take away from their high earning nights.
Riki

Back