Seeking the Sound of Silence

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wendydk

Reaction score
Norma Murray and her husband, Dr. Patrick Murray, never even mentioned the name of the establishment emanating so much loud music that it is seriously hurting their Seville Square business, the Lee House Bed & Breakfast...read more

This reminds me of the people around O'Hare Airport. The airport was there for decades BEFORE the developments went in but the developments complain about the noise and demand the use of flaps and noise abatements that are not necessarily the safest thing for those on board that plane. Airports do not generate noise? Bars are not noisy> Since when!

Ouch...one council member referred to the B&B as a 'rest home'?

This reminds me of the people around O'Hare Airport. The airport was there for decades BEFORE the developments went in but the developments complain about the noise and demand the use of flaps and noise abatements that are not necessarily the safest thing for those on board that plane. Airports do not generate noise? Bars are not noisy> Since when!.
gillumhouse said:
This reminds me of the people around O'Hare Airport. The airport was there for decades BEFORE the developments went in but the developments complain about the noise and demand the use of flaps and noise abatements that are not necessarily the safest thing for those on board that plane. Airports do not generate noise? Bars are not noisy> Since when!
Yes, I'm pretty sure if they spent a night there in 2008, the same noise would have come from that restaurant/bar.
It's why folks really need to check out the locations they're considering for a B&B. If you've never spent a night there, you don't really know what you're getting into.

Gillum, I agree and as long as they (the rest. in this case) is abiding by the law, there is no recourse for the b&b. But after reading this article I do wonder if this resturant/bar is really within the noise ordinance guidelines or whether it is the tax revenue that is driving the situation to fall on deaf ears? We all know how $$$ talks!
The comments are a must read (not quoted) - 1) provide free drinks for the B&B guests, they will go back and pass out! 2) no need for a designated driver - rooms in walking distance.
This article reminded me: Recently heard that there is a couple working on an old home in our neighboring city and wants to open as a B&B. I am delighted in it but after going out to dinner one night in town and hearing all the loud music from their neighboring bars (one ajoining to the property), I thought about the negative impact it would have - well at least on the type of guests I attract.

Gillum, I agree and as long as they (the rest. in this case) is abiding by the law, there is no recourse for the b&b. But after reading this article I do wonder if this resturant/bar is really within the noise ordinance guidelines or whether it is the tax revenue that is driving the situation to fall on deaf ears? We all know how $$$ talks!
The comments are a must read (not quoted) - 1) provide free drinks for the B&B guests, they will go back and pass out! 2) no need for a designated driver - rooms in walking distance.
This article reminded me: Recently heard that there is a couple working on an old home in our neighboring city and wants to open as a B&B. I am delighted in it but after going out to dinner one night in town and hearing all the loud music from their neighboring bars (one ajoining to the property), I thought about the negative impact it would have - well at least on the type of guests I attract..
copperhead said:
This article reminded me: Recently heard that there is a couple working on an old home in our neighboring city and wants to open as a B&B. I am delighted in it but after going out to dinner one night in town and hearing all the loud music from their neighboring bars (one ajoining to the property), I thought about the negative impact it would have - well at least on the type of guests I attract.
That's the kind of local knowledge folks really need to have when they're thinking of opening a new B&B.
Things may be super quiet when they're there during the day working on the place.
Because you really would think that if they knew about the noise, they'd reconsider their plans.

This article reminded me: Recently heard that there is a couple working on an old home in our neighboring city and wants to open as a B&B. I am delighted in it but after going out to dinner one night in town and hearing all the loud music from their neighboring bars (one ajoining to the property), I thought about the negative impact it would have - well at least on the type of guests I attract..
So far, he finds no legal reason to close the bar, which seems to generally fall within the 1987 noise ordinance, although an officer did recently ticket the Fish House for extreme noisiness.
The B & B owners should be getting a copy of the noise ordinance. To be a noice ordinance, it MUST specify descible levels. I think it would behoove me to buy or rent a descible meter for a month or so and take readings. invite the Police to take readings of descible levels. And yes, I do believe there is more thn a little $$$$ talking. I did read the comments and it is obvious that those who were PRO bar do NOT live in the area of said bar.
I sympathize. I live across the street, separated by their parking lot from the little boys club Volunteer Fire Department.

It is one of the reasons that I am having double glazing put in in all of my windows we are quite near bars and pubs but that is not our main source of noise but the people walking home afterwards shouting to each other. It is not a majour problem but sometimes you do get drunks ringing all the doorbells along the street as they go. But we knew what we were getting into and planned for it.

It is one of the reasons that I am having double glazing put in in all of my windows we are quite near bars and pubs but that is not our main source of noise but the people walking home afterwards shouting to each other. It is not a majour problem but sometimes you do get drunks ringing all the doorbells along the street as they go. But we knew what we were getting into and planned for it..
Too bad there is not a way to temporarily disconnect doorbells over the evening...
RIki

It is one of the reasons that I am having double glazing put in in all of my windows we are quite near bars and pubs but that is not our main source of noise but the people walking home afterwards shouting to each other. It is not a majour problem but sometimes you do get drunks ringing all the doorbells along the street as they go. But we knew what we were getting into and planned for it..
Too bad there is not a way to temporarily disconnect doorbells over the evening...
RIki
You can have a switch fitted to under the bell part that turns it on and off (we have one) but I always worry it will be one of our guests who can't get back in.

RIki
You can have a switch fitted to under the bell part that turns it on and off (we have one) but I always worry it will be one of our guests who can't get back in.
With everyone having cell phones they could call you...?
Riki

RIki
Riki
true true

RIki
Riki
true true
Then disable that bell and get some rest. The pranksters will never know the half of it.

RIki
deleted

Back