Self Check Ins

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only time I allow it is when they are going to be so late that I can't stay up any longer. After the first tiime of staying up till 2 AM..I figured enough ot that!!! If they are later than 11 PM, then I tell them the door will be open and where to find their room and tell them I will see you at breakfast at 9 AM!!!
We never had many, but the few we did..appreciated it.

I don't like it but I have to sleep sometime...
If we know the guests we give them the code for the door and leave their keys in their room. (Check-in done in the morning.)
If we don't know the guests, we do the same but leave them directions for how to get to their room.
So far not a problem with guests not showing. We did have one couple we never saw. They arrived around 1 AM and left at 6 AM. They told us this in advance and we ran their card and left them the receipt with their keys.

I've had that happen a cuple of times, but they were not "AM" late. I just had prior arrangemennts, like graduation, etc..., to which we just had to go. I left them a note on the door, welcoming them, telling them where their room is, snacks and drinks available and to make theirselves at home.
They appreciated it too.
I don't think I could stay up until the wee morning hours...not that young anymore...haha

With our place it is a little easier than most. We leave a note on our door (pre-printed) that we fill in the name and what cabin they are in and to read the registration form that has been left in their cabin for them. It also lists my cell number in case they need me for something urgent.. The notes are essentially the same. But differ with the circumstances. "Hi we've gone to bed for the night..(full check-in details)..we'll see you in the morning." -or- "Hi we've gone out for a bit....(full check in details) We should be back shortly, we'll see you when we return."

With our place it is a little easier than most. We leave a note on our door (pre-printed) that we fill in the name and what cabin they are in and to read the registration form that has been left in their cabin for them. It also lists my cell number in case they need me for something urgent.. The notes are essentially the same. But differ with the circumstances. "Hi we've gone to bed for the night..(full check-in details)..we'll see you in the morning." -or- "Hi we've gone out for a bit....(full check in details) We should be back shortly, we'll see you when we return.".
What do you put in your check-in details? Do you use the Welcome Letter in SI or something else?? Thanks!

We have three notes:
Note 1
Welcome to [inn name]. We’ve gone bed for the night.
Your cabin is unlocked. You are staying in cabin number _________. Make yourself comfortable. Inside your cabin is your guest registration form. Please look it over before you start using the property. We will ask you to sign a copy when we see you. Breakfast is at 8:30 AM right here in the main house, Coffee is in the Gazebo at 7:00AM if you need it. Have a good night.
- [innkeepers names]

Note 2

Welcome to [inn name]. We’ve gone out for a bit. We’ll be back later.

Your cabin is unlocked. You are staying in cabin number _________. Make yourself comfortable. Inside your cabin is your guest registration form. Please look it over before you start using the property. We will ask you to sign a copy when we see you. In case of emergency call [my cell number]
-[innkeepers names]
Note 3
Welcome to [inn name]. We’re not home from work yet. We’ll be home shortly. [this is for days when I am not working from home]

Your cabins are unlocked. Make yourself comfortable. Inside your cabin is your guest registration form. Please look it over before you start using the property. We will ask you to sign a copy when we see you.

Cabin #1 ______[Guest name]______________________

Cabin #2 ______[Guest name]______________________

Cabin #3 ______[Guest name]______________________

-[innkeepers names]
emergency cell [my cell number]

As a guest I was not offended at all when I arrived to a B&B with a note for us. I thought it was nice that they trusted us. I do the same here whenever I need to.
If it is 9pm, a note goes out automatically.
If they call and say they will be late or attending a function, I give them check in instructions AND then put a note out for them as well.
Tues was a self check in. Guests thought it was cool. Had no issues with it at all.

With our place it is a little easier than most. We leave a note on our door (pre-printed) that we fill in the name and what cabin they are in and to read the registration form that has been left in their cabin for them. It also lists my cell number in case they need me for something urgent.. The notes are essentially the same. But differ with the circumstances. "Hi we've gone to bed for the night..(full check-in details)..we'll see you in the morning." -or- "Hi we've gone out for a bit....(full check in details) We should be back shortly, we'll see you when we return.".
What do you put in your check-in details? Do you use the Welcome Letter in SI or something else?? Thanks!
I have the Welcome letter in a word doc I print off as needed. I SHOULD go thru and make a separate one for each room because of the directions involved. I had it nicely done with 'welcome' in 3-4 different languages but hubs got in there and didn't like that so he erased all of them.
I tell them what time breakfast is, that they can help themselves to cookies and how to get to their room.

Back