Self contained Unit/Apartment

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cbz

Reaction score
Thanks for all your suggestions.
I am planning to throw open 2 of my other properties/self contained apartments soon & start advertising them.
Apart from the points we already discussed, i need your advice on the following:
1. What is the standard occupancy, if any, for apartments?
2. Is it mandatory to provide a utensil cleaning option or is it presumed to be DIY [with detergent & scrub]?
3. Any minimum number of days for it to "qualify" as apartment?
4. Am confused wrt pricing options. How do i decide what price might be suitable for it for weekly/fortnightly basis?
Thanks in advance!

Depends how far you want to go with it but in the UK if you want to be classed as 5 star you have to provide fresh flowers and a fruit basket. Other than that Think you have covered everything sounds lovely.
P.S. note to self must come stay with you!

Depends how far you want to go with it but in the UK if you want to be classed as 5 star you have to provide fresh flowers and a fruit basket. Other than that Think you have covered everything sounds lovely.
P.S. note to self must come stay with you!.
It will be our pleasure to host you.
@ The topic - We are currently rated 1 Star here
teeth_smile.gif
[there is nothing below it hehe ^.^] because there is no concept of B&B/homestay or its rating in India. It's just hotel , hotel eveywhere. But we are fine with it, keeps guest's expectations low.
Ok, What about food stuff? I mean regular ones like lentils/gram/flour/beans etc. Is that to be included?
I don't want to ask the family directly, just want them to be pleasantly suprised when they arrive. So i want to have everything set up beforehand.
P.S: Kitchen has RO/UV mineral water purifier as well [You need it in India, DON'T even think of drinking tap water ]

Typically in the US, food items are not included in a vacation rental... you may provide a few soft drinks, maybe even a few cookies (or local dessert type snack) to say WELCOME. Otherwise, provide them with information on local grocery stores etc. so they may stock the cabinets with the items they desire.
~~~
While I am very hopeful this is a legit booking, one thing that came to mind the instent I read your post was the current s-cam style emails we get in the US. It usually has a request for a 10 +- night stay for several guest rooms or vacation rental style stay. They usually state they want to pay by credit card in advance. and state they are from the UK, but in reality are from N i g e r i a. There are several other flags but best not to state them all here - it wises them up. If any of this sounds a bit familar, feel free to post the email (minus names & email address) for a second opinion.

Typically in the US, food items are not included in a vacation rental... you may provide a few soft drinks, maybe even a few cookies (or local dessert type snack) to say WELCOME. Otherwise, provide them with information on local grocery stores etc. so they may stock the cabinets with the items they desire.
~~~
While I am very hopeful this is a legit booking, one thing that came to mind the instent I read your post was the current s-cam style emails we get in the US. It usually has a request for a 10 +- night stay for several guest rooms or vacation rental style stay. They usually state they want to pay by credit card in advance. and state they are from the UK, but in reality are from N i g e r i a. There are several other flags but best not to state them all here - it wises them up. If any of this sounds a bit familar, feel free to post the email (minus names & email address) for a second opinion..
Thanks, i was unsure about the food part of it! So i will just put some welcome cookies & juices & soft drinks like you suggested.
It is a legit booking. Seems the person works for the British Red Cross, has already deposited the booking amount in INR in Bank & we have been talking over the phone/email regularly.
Thanks for the heads up wrt the e-mail scams. I almost fell for it one time. We do not accept credit cards on site so i usually direct any email bookings to book us through Wotif.com or Airbnb.com. Saves us a lot of headache

in the uk vacation rentals of this type don't usually have any what i would call normal food provided but I would make doubly sure they know about the water its the little things they don't think about like washing your toothbrush under the tap that catches people out. Anything you do will be more than they are expecting so just do what you feel comfortable with. But thinking ahead if you could get on a red cross recomended list or something similar buy looking after these people could be lucrative business.

in the uk vacation rentals of this type don't usually have any what i would call normal food provided but I would make doubly sure they know about the water its the little things they don't think about like washing your toothbrush under the tap that catches people out. Anything you do will be more than they are expecting so just do what you feel comfortable with. But thinking ahead if you could get on a red cross recomended list or something similar buy looking after these people could be lucrative business..
They move in and out of India more often than i get out of my house lol. So am sure they are used to the water quality.
At the moment, i am only concerned with meeting or beating their expectations. I was really unsure of the food stock but thanks to you & copperhead I feel i am on the right track

in the uk vacation rentals of this type don't usually have any what i would call normal food provided but I would make doubly sure they know about the water its the little things they don't think about like washing your toothbrush under the tap that catches people out. Anything you do will be more than they are expecting so just do what you feel comfortable with. But thinking ahead if you could get on a red cross recomended list or something similar buy looking after these people could be lucrative business..
They move in and out of India more often than i get out of my house lol. So am sure they are used to the water quality.
At the moment, i am only concerned with meeting or beating their expectations. I was really unsure of the food stock but thanks to you & copperhead I feel i am on the right track
Unless you specify that you will provide food / breakfast for your guests, a vacation rental usually just means that alone. It might be a nice treat to have some sort of snack arrival basket for them, but other than that, they should be left to their own devices for food.

Hello as regards occupancy it depends on size ie 1 bed appartment max 2 adults and 1 child. Trouble is you don't want to end up in a pack them in to the doors scenario.
In the UK it is expected that you wash up your own stuff but I would definately check they have done it properly on departure ready for the next people.
As regards stays - here the norm is a week but the market here is so competative the self catering people are doing 1 night stays to generate turnover. Less than 5 and you are making a lot of work for yourself mind.

Hello as regards occupancy it depends on size ie 1 bed appartment max 2 adults and 1 child. Trouble is you don't want to end up in a pack them in to the doors scenario.
In the UK it is expected that you wash up your own stuff but I would definately check they have done it properly on departure ready for the next people.
As regards stays - here the norm is a week but the market here is so competative the self catering people are doing 1 night stays to generate turnover. Less than 5 and you are making a lot of work for yourself mind..
Thanks a lot!
I will advertise 1 bedroom & 2 bedroom apartment for 2/1 & 4/2 respectively.
And keep minimum stay at 7 nights.
Thanks again.

Back