Self-Discipline

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Innspiration for innkeepers
Self-Discipline
You’ve been at it for hours, your body is tired, your mind could use a rest, you’d love some comfort or some fun, but your dominant thoughts override all that and you keep going – to do what needs to be done in the time it needs to be done. You don’t like it, but you take greater satisfaction in its accomplishment. You do it anyway.
That’s self-discipline; and it’s often the difference between the successful and unsuccessful.
from http://www.thinkdaily.com/category/think-daily-for-businesspeople/

Odd. This is what the shrinks call 'normal' behavior and no one in my immediate family functions this way.

Odd. This is what the shrinks call 'normal' behavior and no one in my immediate family functions this way..
?
In a recent spate of 'testing' we found out that 'normal' behavior is to sit down and get r done, no matter how you feel about the project at hand. 'Abnormal' behavior is to wander around doing other things instead of the task at hand.
So, getting up from a difficult task to get a drink of water, make some phone calls, blog a bit, etc, is abnormal behavior and should be stopped. Sitting still and finishing the task is normal and should be encouraged. (Hey, don't ask me, that's what the shrink said.)

Oh.
I thought of Don Draper when I read this, as they have been at it hard for weeks with no relief. Wanting to throw in the towel, but know they cannot, they must keep their eye on the prize, keep on. Being successful means getting it done, no matter what. Never giving up. I don't think the article says sit still for hours and not move or do anything else while you are getting it done. All studies show that a small break increases production.
Case in point our kids in marching band, they would love to sit back in the shade, but to be in marching band they have to practice for hours and hours on their feet in the hot sun. They are required total discipline while doing this, when they are done they can go for a swim and goof off, but not a second earlier. In the end, the pay off will be a disciplined get it done marching band that wins awards. Is this self discipline? In a way it is as marching band is extra-curricular on their time, much of the summer and during the school year after doing school all day, they practice 3 hours every day after school.
But I agree, finishing the task should be encouraged. Finsih school, finish the assignment, finish the project, finish that repair or renovation instead of leaving it half undone (Did I just say that aloud? Yeah!)

Oh.
I thought of Don Draper when I read this, as they have been at it hard for weeks with no relief. Wanting to throw in the towel, but know they cannot, they must keep their eye on the prize, keep on. Being successful means getting it done, no matter what. Never giving up. I don't think the article says sit still for hours and not move or do anything else while you are getting it done. All studies show that a small break increases production.
Case in point our kids in marching band, they would love to sit back in the shade, but to be in marching band they have to practice for hours and hours on their feet in the hot sun. They are required total discipline while doing this, when they are done they can go for a swim and goof off, but not a second earlier. In the end, the pay off will be a disciplined get it done marching band that wins awards. Is this self discipline? In a way it is as marching band is extra-curricular on their time, much of the summer and during the school year after doing school all day, they practice 3 hours every day after school.
But I agree, finishing the task should be encouraged. Finsih school, finish the assignment, finish the project, finish that repair or renovation instead of leaving it half undone (Did I just say that aloud? Yeah!).
Agree with finishing what was started. Totally. Hated when friends let their kids drop in and out of extra curricular activities because they 'didn't feel like it today'. And I am awful at finishing anything.
I guess it's just on the top of my mind right now that my family's way of doing things is viewed as 'abnormal'. Being 'distractable' is not normal and needs to be 'fixed'.

Ha! This made me think of my post yesterday too! Thanks JB. In the end I know it is worth it, there's not much that can be done except take it one minute at a time and just do the best you can in each minute.
heart.gif

Ha! This made me think of my post yesterday too! Thanks JB. In the end I know it is worth it, there's not much that can be done except take it one minute at a time and just do the best you can in each minute.
heart.gif
Don Draper said:
heart.gif
and of course let us not forget "You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!" :)

I admit that I can be a bit of a procrastinator (ie fanny about with this and that) but i always get the important/boring task done everything is always tied up at the end of the day and that's what matters. My trouble is I have 6 or 7 things on the go at once so picking which one goes first is the tricky thing.

Joey Bloggs said:
Innspiration for innkeepers
Self-Discipline
You’ve been at it for hours, your body is tired, your mind could use a rest, you’d love some comfort or some fun, but your dominant thoughts override all that and you keep going – to do what needs to be done in the time it needs to be done. You don’t like it, but you take greater satisfaction in its accomplishment. You do it anyway.
That’s self-discipline; and it’s often the difference between the successful and unsuccessful.
And here I thought I just had OCD.

It is after 1AM. I was up at 6 yesterday (now) to do breakfast and get ready to go to the Fest again. I also had promised to make a BIG pot of coffee and some muffins for a "work detail" at the range which thankfully one of the guys stopped by to pick up. After a long day at the Fest there was e-mail to catch up on, mail to sort, and guess who wanted chocolate pudding! Then it was time to go to Chapel.
I am not bothering to go to bed as breakfast is at 5:30. Table is set, I had muffins in the pan ready to bake already in the freezer. If I go to sleep, I will over-sleep for sure or else sleep so fitfully that I may as not have bothered. I would be more productive - as in keeping an appointment with the dreaded ironing board, but it screeches when I open it. The ironing board hates me as much as I hate it! Today is the last day so I get to take down the dozen paintings, lug them to the car and then unload when we get home. At least there is one I will not have to deal with - it is going home to Colorado.

It is after 1AM. I was up at 6 yesterday (now) to do breakfast and get ready to go to the Fest again. I also had promised to make a BIG pot of coffee and some muffins for a "work detail" at the range which thankfully one of the guys stopped by to pick up. After a long day at the Fest there was e-mail to catch up on, mail to sort, and guess who wanted chocolate pudding! Then it was time to go to Chapel.
I am not bothering to go to bed as breakfast is at 5:30. Table is set, I had muffins in the pan ready to bake already in the freezer. If I go to sleep, I will over-sleep for sure or else sleep so fitfully that I may as not have bothered. I would be more productive - as in keeping an appointment with the dreaded ironing board, but it screeches when I open it. The ironing board hates me as much as I hate it! Today is the last day so I get to take down the dozen paintings, lug them to the car and then unload when we get home. At least there is one I will not have to deal with - it is going home to Colorado..
gillumhouse said:
I am not bothering to go to bed as breakfast is at 5:30. Table is set, I had muffins in the pan ready to bake already in the freezer. If I go to sleep, I will over-sleep for sure or else sleep so fitfully that I may as not have bothered. I would be more productive - as in keeping an appointment with the dreaded ironing board, but it screeches when I open it. The ironing board hates me as much as I hate it! Today is the last day so I get to take down the dozen paintings, lug them to the car and then unload when we get home. At least there is one I will not have to deal with - it is going home to Colorado.
This lifestyle of yours will either kill you or keep you young. I have a feeling it's keeping you young!
wink_smile.gif

I am not bothering to go to bed as breakfast is at 5:30. Table is set, I had muffins in the pan ready to bake already in the freezer. If I go to sleep, I will over-sleep for sure or else sleep so fitfully that I may as not have bothered. I would be more productive - as in keeping an appointment with the dreaded ironing board, but it screeches when I open it. The ironing board hates me as much as I hate it! Today is the last day so I get to take down the dozen paintings, lug them to the car and then unload when we get home. At least there is one I will not have to deal with - it is going home to Colorado..
gillumhouse said:
This lifestyle of yours will either kill you or keep you young. I have a feeling it's keeping you young!
wink_smile.gif

I cannot count - it was 15 pantings that came home but 2 of them are now just visiting. As soon as the check arrives, they will be taken to the "we pack it" or whatever it is called and ship them to California. The man looked, asked price, asked a couple more questions, and said he wanted the 2 Dick Mann paintings he now owns both of those bikes! We also have a commission for another painting. Wonderful weekend!

gillumhouse said:
wink_smile.gif

I cannot count - it was 15 pantings that came home but 2 of them are now just visiting. As soon as the check arrives, they will be taken to the "we pack it" or whatever it is called and ship them to California. The man looked, asked price, asked a couple more questions, and said he wanted the 2 Dick Mann paintings he now owns both of those bikes! We also have a commission for another painting. Wonderful weekend!
good for you and good for DH in both a money way but I am sure it perks his self estime up to be valued and his work valued! hope the word gets out among the bike community that he is the way to go if you want a painting done.

Kathleen, you have too much fun!
wink_smile.gif
MTLLodge said:
Kathleen, you have too much fun!
wink_smile.gif
Actually, I do! There is so much joy to be had with this festival - the friends we have made who actually look forward to seeing us when I know I have looked forward to seeing them. I also get a lot of joy in seeing how my City is coming back - the right way, slowly moving forward. Giant leaps are not sustainable.
A well-known and well respected motocycle historian was at the festival. He was taking a break sitting in one of the chairs at our set-up when I came back from one of my short trips away. We talked just a bit and he told me he would be coming back to talk to me. I pointed out DH and told him that was the person he wanted to talk to and told him some of the history of DH's motorcycle youth. He DID come back and as he was talking to DH, the organizer of the Vintage Show walked past and told me in an aside, "We are going to make him famous yet!"
New people we met this year helped me take the paintings out to the car and take down my draping. I had a H-D "oil drum" my daughter got when she bought a new bike and gave to DH in Iowa - it is a soft-sided cooler! I filled it woth bottles of water and every day took frozen bottles to use as the cooler instead of ice. Certain folks were told about the water and it was used. One of the guys is talking about staying with us next year. I will not make anything on it because I am giving a very special rate - but I will not have the andst of trying to give DH is 4-days and do the B & B too. Next year if they are not going to the festival - not here.
Today is making CDs for my class Thursday. I DO have fun!!!

Back