selling a Domain

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ginocat

Reaction score
I know some of you are pretty savvy about websites and domains. Somebody wants to buy my domains and I don't know the what is legally involved in doing it? Do any of you know?
Thanks, Wendy

There's nothing really 'legal' involved (I don't think). The legalities might come in if you don't own the domain outright (you had a partner at the beginning or something like that).
What you really need to do is determine the fair market value of the domain. I think you had the city name in your domain name, right? THAT has to be worth some bucks in your competitive market. I'm not sure how to value a domain name but I bet a Google search will tell you how to do it.
Once you have determined the price and money has changed hands you can go into your account and transfer the ownership. OR, give the buyer the access info as long as your cc info is not stored in there and you have no other websites under the same account.

Legally there are very few restrictions... you set aq price, they agree to it, they pay, you transfer the name to them through your registrar. The transfer, if all goes well, can take up to a week or so. So it is important to realize it may take a little time and a bit of trust depending on how the exchange of money is going to happen. Money changed hands before transfer, risk is on the buyer and they may get antsy. Money changes hands after the transfer, risk is on the seller. If the amount is significant, doing 50% at the initiation of the transfer and the other 50% changes hands once the transfer is complete. Then the risk is essentially even.

Back