Selling Our Home and Former B & B

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeannineIrish

Reaction score
After nearly 14 years of welcoming guests into our home we closed "Touch of Ireland Guest House" in June of 2013. It then became our personnel residence until we put it on the market in May of 2014. We then downsized to a condo in a nearby town to be closer to our daughter. Our reason for closing the B & B is that in Feb 2013 my husband Michael was diagnosed with Stage IV pancreatic cancer. Since surgery was not an option he started chemotherapy in March 2013. Because of his illness and the treatments side effects we found that we were unable to continue running the B & B and serving our guests in the manner that we had in the past. We welcomed our last guests in May of 2013 for Yale Graduation. We truly miss welcoming people from all over the world into our home. The house (former B & B) is located at the fringes of the Yale University campus. Being an urban B & B located near 5 universities we had to do very little advertising. New Haven is definitely a college town of around 130,000 people and is considered the cultural and gastronomic center of CT. It is located between New York and Boston. Because of its location we did very little advertising over those 14 years other than our website and being listed on BBonline.com and BedandBreakfast.com. We were also listed on the CT and New Haven websites.
Listed below is our listing on Realtor.com. Although we are selling it as a personal residence, the setup and location is perfect for a small urban bed and breakfast.
http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/670-Whitney-Ave_New-Haven_CT_06511_M35997-31457
My contact information is: Jeannine McCann 203-605-7370

So sorry to hear about your husband. Best wishes with the sale.

I am sorry to hear this news. Good luck with everything. God Bless You.

If anyone knows of anyone that may be looking for a small (4 guest rooms) B & B in an urban setting, please let them know. Thanks.
It has also been almost 2 years since diagnosis and although he is still receiving treatment he is stable. Michael had a seven month hiatus from treatment last September til April and his oncologist said that depending on the results of his scan in Jan. he may have another break from chem.
Thanks for your words of encouragement.

You were an early innspiration for us. Thank you for sharing your words of wisdom then, and for letting us know what's going on now. Best wishes to you both.

Wishing you the best of luck with the sale of your property and our thoughts will be with you and your husband through these difficult times.

I am so sorry. This is a terrible ordeal for both of you. What a beautiful place you had. Prayers are with you both.

You were an early innspiration for us. Thank you for sharing your words of wisdom then, and for letting us know what's going on now. Best wishes to you both..
Thank you for your kind words. It meant a lot to me !!

So sorry to hear this, Jeannine - good luck with the sale. You were one of the first innmates I ever met in person! Such a welcoming place you have up there in New Haven - I know someone will make it their own.
Jeanne

I have thought fondly of you over the years, am sorry to hear about these trials and tribulations in your life, and wish the best for you and your family!
I pray that the B&B/House sells so you have one less burden to deal with. I will pass this on!

What a fantastic looking property. The stairway and bannister remind me of my childhood home, especially the swirl at the downstairs.
I am sure it will be missed but will attract a loving new owner soon.

I'm so sorry! I pray you sell soon, and that your husband has a full recovery.

So glad that you checked back in here but sorry to hear about Michael. I remember you so fondly from the "other" forum! Best wishes for no complications in his continued treatment.
I hope that your home sells quickly! Lovely place.

I have thought fondly of you over the years, am sorry to hear about these trials and tribulations in your life, and wish the best for you and your family!
I pray that the B&B/House sells so you have one less burden to deal with. I will pass this on!.
Thanks Joey. Still no bites. Am reaching out next to B & B owners in CT to see if they may know someone that may want an Urban B & B that requires very little advertising.

So sorry to hear this, Jeannine - good luck with the sale. You were one of the first innmates I ever met in person! Such a welcoming place you have up there in New Haven - I know someone will make it their own.
Jeanne.
Thanks Jeanne. I remember you with fond memories,

Jeanne, I am so sorry to hear about your situation. I have a son in New Haven. I will pass your information on to him and ask him to spread the word. Best wishes.

I pray that the B&B/House sells so you have one less burden to deal with. I will pass this on!.
Thanks Joey. Still no bites. Am reaching out next to B & B owners in CT to see if they may know someone that may want an Urban B & B that requires very little advertising.
have you tried Linked in as well? its free and worth a try.

Back