Selling Packages

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I try to give my packages names that tell people what they are immediately - as in Bike N Winery, Bring Your Horse.... I also include 3 or more items so they cannot peel out the costs individually - as in room rates are posted so they know what that cost is. If I just add a dinner, they now know how much I am charging for that dinner (and might say Whoa!) but by adding a packed lunch they do not know how much is the lunch and how much is the dinner and the routing is intellectual property that has a fee. Add local chocolates or your tickets to a music venue........ Make it something that can sit on the shelf or be purchased at the last minute. Lunches are packed in insulated bags that have my logo and contact info and as the lunch is handed to the guest, "...and the bag is yours as a gift of the XYZ House." Unexpected and warm & fuzzy.
When I do a dinner for an anniversary, I also give them each a split of WV sparkling cider and a hand-blown WV goblet to drink it from as a gift of the House. Same thing when a couple books here to find a house and is successful - 3 out of 3 so far!

Everything I'm reading says catch them with a quirky package title and go for the 'events' like b'days, etc.

I haven't got mine set up yet but I have found a massage therapist willing to make house calls and work with me for weekend massages. I expect I will be able to do some restaurant packages as well this year if I want to. I think I am going to package the massage with our current romance package somehow - I just need to look at pricing.

Everything I'm reading says catch them with a quirky package title and go for the 'events' like b'days, etc..
Those 'events' are when they are inclined to spend more/ I left out the in-room massages because that is an add on that I make the appointment and they pay her directly. I do not take a cut. If you do in-room massage appointments have the massuese put you on her insurance as a rider and give you a copy - liability protection. Do not run that fee for the same reason unless your insurance is OK with it. That was what my insurance (when I was with Wolf) advised me to do anyway. I do not touch horse money either for the same reason.
Have had many b'day (for her and for him) with massage added as well as flowers, candy, candles.... If they want it, I will supply it (within reason and legal of course).

I haven't got mine set up yet but I have found a massage therapist willing to make house calls and work with me for weekend massages. I expect I will be able to do some restaurant packages as well this year if I want to. I think I am going to package the massage with our current romance package somehow - I just need to look at pricing..
muirford said:
I haven't got mine set up yet but I have found a massage therapist willing to make house calls and work with me for weekend massages. I expect I will be able to do some restaurant packages as well this year if I want to. I think I am going to package the massage with our current romance package somehow - I just need to look at pricing.
I did that for awhile, then the masseuse kept sending a replacement person I didn't know or setting up in the living room which was awkward. I'm not sure how well appreciated a pkg would be where you have to go out for the massage. So I haven't pursued that angle.

I haven't got mine set up yet but I have found a massage therapist willing to make house calls and work with me for weekend massages. I expect I will be able to do some restaurant packages as well this year if I want to. I think I am going to package the massage with our current romance package somehow - I just need to look at pricing..
muirford said:
I did that for awhile, then the masseuse kept sending a replacement person I didn't know or setting up in the living room which was awkward. I'm not sure how well appreciated a pkg would be where you have to go out for the massage. So I haven't pursued that angle.
My masseuse was going to do it for the same money she charged at her studio - I told her she was carrying equipment and I told HER she was charging $20 more and the only time it is done anywhere other than in the room is if two are getting a massage at the same time and one is done in my Library (don't laugh JBJ - it used to be a lot less messy and will get there again) which is totally private once the drapes are drawn. I raised her rate again last summer and she now gets $25 more for in-room.

muirford said:
My masseuse was going to do it for the same money she charged at her studio - I told her she was carrying equipment and I told HER she was charging $20 more and the only time it is done anywhere other than in the room is if two are getting a massage at the same time and one is done in my Library (don't laugh JBJ - it used to be a lot less messy and will get there again) which is totally private once the drapes are drawn. I raised her rate again last summer and she now gets $25 more for in-room.
gillumhouse said:
I did, sorry. I laughed.
wink_smile.gif

We have a spa on the corner and no guest has used it to date (except me). I will continue to offer it. I cannot find a masseuse willing to come here - one block away, for this service.

muirford said:
gillumhouse said:
I did, sorry. I laughed.
wink_smile.gif

We have a spa on the corner and no guest has used it to date (except me). I will continue to offer it. I cannot find a masseuse willing to come here - one block away, for this service.
cannot find a masseuse willing to come here - one block away, for this service.
Tell them they can offer more money that is charged at the spa.
Laughing is OK. I would have too. Actually made some progress getting ready for Christmas. Tree comes down today - 12th night, Russian Christmas.

My massage therapist travels out to all the b & b's and cabins around here. She makes a ton doing it!!!!She has several helpers that go with her when they do couples massages. She is very popular. I am surprised none of the others will travel. They surely have to know she has the market cornered right now.
She charges $55 an hour in office/ $60 an hour outside of office.... and I think she is going to increase that a bit for traveling out this year.

My massage therapist travels out to all the b & b's and cabins around here. She makes a ton doing it!!!!She has several helpers that go with her when they do couples massages. She is very popular. I am surprised none of the others will travel. They surely have to know she has the market cornered right now.
She charges $55 an hour in office/ $60 an hour outside of office.... and I think she is going to increase that a bit for traveling out this year.
My therapist charges $50 in her studio and she gets $75 here. She has to drive her, she has a heavy (and large) massage table to lug upstairs.... And guests have never balked at the price. To them that is reasonable. And she is GOOD!! If she is unavailable, there is a spa a few miles down the road - also good. I have sent people there when Amanda was unavailable.

My therapist charges $50 in her studio and she gets $75 here. She has to drive her, she has a heavy (and large) massage table to lug upstairs.... And guests have never balked at the price. To them that is reasonable. And she is GOOD!! If she is unavailable, there is a spa a few miles down the road - also good. I have sent people there when Amanda was unavailable.
I'm trying to find one as well. I don't think it would be fair to give out the same therapist name that the other inns do. I'd feel like I was "stealing" them.
I think I'm going to try and buy a table so they don't have to lug it. That might make a difference. Plus the economy is worse than the last time I tried, so maybe I'll find someone now.
Riki

I'm trying to find one as well. I don't think it would be fair to give out the same therapist name that the other inns do. I'd feel like I was "stealing" them.
I think I'm going to try and buy a table so they don't have to lug it. That might make a difference. Plus the economy is worse than the last time I tried, so maybe I'll find someone now.
Riki
If you buy a table you will have to store it - and why? That is the tools of the massage trade. The masseuse deducts that as an expense. If you are going to be the masseuse that is another thing altogether. If you still want to buy one - go to eBay or Craigslist.
And by the way, it is not stealing to use the same masseuse. It means her business is growing because she is good. You want the word of mouth - so does a good masseuse.

Riki
If you buy a table you will have to store it - and why? That is the tools of the massage trade. The masseuse deducts that as an expense. If you are going to be the masseuse that is another thing altogether. If you still want to buy one - go to eBay or Craigslist.
And by the way, it is not stealing to use the same masseuse. It means her business is growing because she is good. You want the word of mouth - so does a good masseuse.
We have the luxury of building our space to our needs unlike others working with antique buildings.
When we put on the other wing we will have another connector space. The connector on the first wing is our tasting room. The other side I want to put in a sauna kit and have a spa space. It can go there no problem. And when the therapist doesn't have to lug the table, it will help them and me. I like to try and make my place and my tours as enjoyable as possible for the people I work with.
Riki

Riki
We have the luxury of building our space to our needs unlike others working with antique buildings.
When we put on the other wing we will have another connector space. The connector on the first wing is our tasting room. The other side I want to put in a sauna kit and have a spa space. It can go there no problem. And when the therapist doesn't have to lug the table, it will help them and me. I like to try and make my place and my tours as enjoyable as possible for the people I work with.
Riki
If you have the space to keep a massage table it is a huge boon to the massage therapist. The therapist we are going to use had an extra table and she is leaving it here in one of our housekeeping closets to use for guests. Not having to lug it is appealing - that was one of the reasons that I couldn't get some of the other local therapists to work with me. Now, I haven't bought my own and would be hesitant to invest in one since I don't know anything about it.

Riki
Riki
The good part about your plan is that there is more time spent on the guest, with the therapist having less 'down time' from a scheduling POV. Also, if the table is set up and ready to go, you will also have decorated the area appropriately so the guest is relaxed and not worried the masseuse will trip over suitcases or get oils on the guests' clothing. It also allows you to control the cleanliness of the towels, sheets, etc that are used.
I like the idea, because it can be part of your overall inn tour, 'And here is our spa services room, we hope you'll have a chance to book a massage while you're here.'

Riki
Riki
If you have the space to keep a massage table it is a huge boon to the massage therapist. The therapist we are going to use had an extra table and she is leaving it here in one of our housekeeping closets to use for guests. Not having to lug it is appealing - that was one of the reasons that I couldn't get some of the other local therapists to work with me. Now, I haven't bought my own and would be hesitant to invest in one since I don't know anything about it.
that's great to hear that it makes a difference to the therapist. That's what I was hoping. I will simply ask a couple of them which tables are popular. But this is down the road.
Riki

Riki
Riki
The good part about your plan is that there is more time spent on the guest, with the therapist having less 'down time' from a scheduling POV. Also, if the table is set up and ready to go, you will also have decorated the area appropriately so the guest is relaxed and not worried the masseuse will trip over suitcases or get oils on the guests' clothing. It also allows you to control the cleanliness of the towels, sheets, etc that are used.
I like the idea, because it can be part of your overall inn tour, 'And here is our spa services room, we hope you'll have a chance to book a massage while you're here.'
Having a separate room available is really great!! For all those reasons you mentioned.

Riki
Riki
My friends have converted their old smokehouse into a Massage therapy room. It is so nice and has a large patio door overlooking the mountains. Folks love it. They can accomodate 2 tables for couples massages and the 2 massage therapists...it works out really well. She loves getting out of her office and traveling and we all love her!!! Hey tomorrow is my massage day. I do go to her though:)

Riki
Riki
My friends have converted their old smokehouse into a Massage therapy room. It is so nice and has a large patio door overlooking the mountains. Folks love it. They can accomodate 2 tables for couples massages and the 2 massage therapists...it works out really well. She loves getting out of her office and traveling and we all love her!!! Hey tomorrow is my massage day. I do go to her though:)
I have a new vinotherapy shampoo and conditioner line that I hope to be able to sell through my gift shop. I'm combining looking for a massage therapist with checking to see which spas in my area are interested in going with this company. They have a whole line made from the oils of the grape seed, leaf and stem. This has been very popular in Europe for some time but the US is just now finding out that the wine grape is good for the outside as well as the inside.
ah what I have to do in the name of work/science. I'll have to go get a number of massages and facials in this venture....!
RIki

Back