Selling your stuff

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IronGate

Reaction score
Do you have guests want to buy the stuff you use at your place (sheets, towels, robes, dishes, recipes, soap, etc.)? Is it worthwhile to have a "gift shop"?

I have a few things in mine, the guide books from American Historic Inns which have a photo of my Inn on the cover, and which sell like hotcakes, although it is a big outlay every year. Each year I order a larger order but the guests love the free night certificates. Cost is around $11, sales price is $24.95
I have found that things that sell best are definately the personalized things. Currently I have the 3 box soaps. I am looking at getting some personalized jams and teas ... sometime.
I also have some other "pet stuff" because I am pet friendly, but yes I do have to pay tax on the inventory at the end of the year. I don't take a physical inventory, I just base it on what I entered into my books as "gift shop purchases" less "gift shop sales".
Mine is really just a baker's rack sized gift shop in my dining room!

Whatever you sell you have to pay tax on it as inventory each year. (I did and do)
I had a full fledged gift shop that was a royal pain as I had to keep it heated/cooled and dusted.
I have a gift shop area now - that to me really clutters up the place, even tho I have it in an old china cabinet, and I do sell items now and again. It is an added amenity for the guests. Even tho I have plenty of regional items, people really want tshirts and that sort of thing. I would love to make up some great tshirts for the area - but again, have to pay for it all in advance to get anything back on it would take time. I already have stock here I need to sell.
When we had the full fledged gift shop - and had craft shows here with artisans doin' their thing, we had about 50% consignment items. I would have to deal with all those artists when they would call over and over "Anything sell?" I told them they will get a check as soon as an item sells.
So anytime someone wanted to come and browse I had to stop what I was doing and go stand and chat for an hour or TWO and possibly not sell A THING!
So my advice, whatever you decide to sell, buy a small stock of it so you can move it. Putting it where guests can get their hands on it also helps.
A couple of innkeepers on this forum have seen and hopefully used the handmade candles from these mountains. Very nice subtle scents, nothing stinky, and noone buys them. I have had artwork, turned wood, books, jewelry, cookbooks of all sorts - state, regional, B&B related, music on cd's, music books, hand weaved scarves from local sheep!, vintage items, primitive dolls, primitive stitchings, this that and the other. COOL STUFF - I thought. Oh and some food items, local VA peanuts, nothing made in China! Selling them one item every couple months is not my idea of a good idea. That is just me. I am impatient, can you tell? DON'T ANSWER THAT!

I PLANNED ON making our B&B Blend/brand coffee - in fact I KNOW I COULD SELL THAT. There are plenty of places that can print up coffee bags for you, or you could make your own labels or run with the idea. I have yet to do it. I just know it would be a hit.
Again, the outlay of the $ upfront. I would also sell it with cloth and clay mugs. More $ . I am trying to be good and ween out this inventory before I buy MORE stuff. LOL!
The coffee would use the LINE drawing on the label or sack.
I just emailed THIS PLACE to see what the cost would be per case. (Just noticed this place is in Marietta GA FYI)

I have heard of innkeepers paying for their yearly travel with their gift shop items.
RIki

Whatever you sell you have to pay tax on it as inventory each year. (I did and do)
I had a full fledged gift shop that was a royal pain as I had to keep it heated/cooled and dusted.
I have a gift shop area now - that to me really clutters up the place, even tho I have it in an old china cabinet, and I do sell items now and again. It is an added amenity for the guests. Even tho I have plenty of regional items, people really want tshirts and that sort of thing. I would love to make up some great tshirts for the area - but again, have to pay for it all in advance to get anything back on it would take time. I already have stock here I need to sell.
When we had the full fledged gift shop - and had craft shows here with artisans doin' their thing, we had about 50% consignment items. I would have to deal with all those artists when they would call over and over "Anything sell?" I told them they will get a check as soon as an item sells.
So anytime someone wanted to come and browse I had to stop what I was doing and go stand and chat for an hour or TWO and possibly not sell A THING!
So my advice, whatever you decide to sell, buy a small stock of it so you can move it. Putting it where guests can get their hands on it also helps.
A couple of innkeepers on this forum have seen and hopefully used the handmade candles from these mountains. Very nice subtle scents, nothing stinky, and noone buys them. I have had artwork, turned wood, books, jewelry, cookbooks of all sorts - state, regional, B&B related, music on cd's, music books, hand weaved scarves from local sheep!, vintage items, primitive dolls, primitive stitchings, this that and the other. COOL STUFF - I thought. Oh and some food items, local VA peanuts, nothing made in China! Selling them one item every couple months is not my idea of a good idea. That is just me. I am impatient, can you tell? DON'T ANSWER THAT!.
Do you just pay inventory tax each year? Don't you have to pay sales tax on it monthly?
Riki

Personally I never wanted to be bothered with selling anything extra. However we did a little cookbook of our recipes and our state assoc. one and they sold very well. But I have friends who built a gift shop for their place. They are so into antiques and one is a professional floral arranger..so it was a natural for them. They do VERY VERY WELL with it and locals shop there too. A Get a little look here

A couple of innkeepers on this forum have seen and hopefully used the handmade candles from these mountains. Very nice subtle scents, nothing stinky, and noone buys them. I have had artwork, turned wood, books, jewelry, cookbooks of all sorts - state, regional, B&B related, music on cd's, music books, hand weaved scarves from local sheep!, vintage items, primitive dolls, primitive stitchings, this that and the other. COOL STUFF - I thought. Oh and some food items, local VA peanuts, nothing made in China! Selling them one item every couple months is not my idea of a good idea. That is just me. I am impatient, can you tell? DON'T ANSWER THAT!.
Do you just pay inventory tax each year? Don't you have to pay sales tax on it monthly?
Riki
egoodell said:
Riki
You pay sales tax on what you SELL. You pay inventory tax on what you don't sell.

Personally I never wanted to be bothered with selling anything extra. However we did a little cookbook of our recipes and our state assoc. one and they sold very well. But I have friends who built a gift shop for their place. They are so into antiques and one is a professional floral arranger..so it was a natural for them. They do VERY VERY WELL with it and locals shop there too. A Get a little look here.
catlady said:
Personally I never wanted to be bothered with selling anything extra. However we did a little cookbook of our recipes and our state assoc. one and they sold very well. But I have friends who built a gift shop for their place. They are so into antiques and one is a professional floral arranger..so it was a natural for them. They do VERY VERY WELL with it and locals shop there too. A Get a little look here
I love all that stuff, and if you are into it, then it is FUN. But when it becomes a burden and you think about HOW MUCH you have in overhead, all of those items they bought to see some items now and again. You have to keep it STOCKED to be presented well.
I actually sold MOST of the antique peices I had for sale out there and any I didn't I put into a guest room or foyer etc. So it ended up working out in the end. If I had not sold the big ticket items tho, I would be a very unhappy camper rightabout now. There is a chap down the road here who goes in and buys up estate stuff - here is the check and i will take care of it all. (Not an auctioneer) and has a shop over near our lake. The ladies at the lake are there EVERY week to see what is new and he does very well. He also knows the value for each item, so if he sells and makes a steal on one it coutners the other 25 items still sitting there. He loves it and it is fun!

Personally I never wanted to be bothered with selling anything extra. However we did a little cookbook of our recipes and our state assoc. one and they sold very well. But I have friends who built a gift shop for their place. They are so into antiques and one is a professional floral arranger..so it was a natural for them. They do VERY VERY WELL with it and locals shop there too. A Get a little look here.
catlady said:
I love all that stuff, and if you are into it, then it is FUN. But when it becomes a burden and you think about HOW MUCH you have in overhead, all of those items they bought to see some items now and again. You have to keep it STOCKED to be presented well.
I actually sold MOST of the antique peices I had for sale out there and any I didn't I put into a guest room or foyer etc. So it ended up working out in the end. If I had not sold the big ticket items tho, I would be a very unhappy camper rightabout now. There is a chap down the road here who goes in and buys up estate stuff - here is the check and i will take care of it all. (Not an auctioneer) and has a shop over near our lake. The ladies at the lake are there EVERY week to see what is new and he does very well. He also knows the value for each item, so if he sells and makes a steal on one it coutners the other 25 items still sitting there. He loves it and it is fun!
yeah these fellows know there stuff very well. They have a knack of finding just the right things and they get great buys on stuff. They continually amaze me at what they find and at such good prices. I never had that kind of luck which is why I never got into it. And of course, their inn is crammed full of stuff as well...sometimes when they replace things...it goes out in the barn. Nothing in the house is for sale. They only B& B related thing they sell is their mugs.

I just looked at vista print, anyone have a place they recommend who can print the size labels for coffee bags? It seems more economical to not order the bags preprinted as you have to order the coffee from them too, which is not a good price, but to add my own label.
I have purchased special blends at farmer's markets across the country this way, in a brown lines paper sack with a personalize label "Barb's breakfast blend" etc. But I don't trust my printer to do a satisfactory job of labels.

I have a Hoosier cupboard in my dining room that is my "gift shop"/ One year I grossed $600 from it and that was years ago when I was not busy. I will have to restock this Spring. One guest already told me she wants 2 aprons when I reorder them. I also get the insulated lunch bags I use for lunches in packages. I give the packed bags as part of the "warm & fuzzie" of the package and also sell them. The mugs made by the WV potter flew off the shelves. I could have sold many more but he had pneumonia and did not get my reorder made. I will have them next year.
In addition to the standard T-shirts & polo shirts, I have sold aprons with my logo, local jams & jellies, local honey, cookbooks, tea, and Shinnston Community Band CDs. I do not keep a large inventory. With the tea, they have their tea in the morning and if they find something they like, it MIGHT be on the Hoosier shelf.
I will be restocking in the Spring.

I PLANNED ON making our B&B Blend/brand coffee - in fact I KNOW I COULD SELL THAT. There are plenty of places that can print up coffee bags for you, or you could make your own labels or run with the idea. I have yet to do it. I just know it would be a hit.
Again, the outlay of the $ upfront. I would also sell it with cloth and clay mugs. More $ . I am trying to be good and ween out this inventory before I buy MORE stuff. LOL!
I just emailed THIS PLACE to see what the cost would be per case. (Just noticed this place is in Marietta GA FYI).
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
I just emailed THIS PLACE to see what the cost would be per case. (Just noticed this place is in Marietta GA FYI)
As a guest I would be very interested in the coffee with your label on it. I love those Cloth & Clay mugs too! We bought 3 of them on our trip over the Summer and use them almost daily, it's a nice reminder of all the fun we had!
If you do decide on doing the coffee, the one thing that comes to mind if you use the paper bags for the coffee is that it doesn't stay as fresh as the coffee packaged in the sealed foil bags. I would think you would have to rotate your stock quite frequently....

I have a Hoosier cupboard in my dining room that is my "gift shop"/ One year I grossed $600 from it and that was years ago when I was not busy. I will have to restock this Spring. One guest already told me she wants 2 aprons when I reorder them. I also get the insulated lunch bags I use for lunches in packages. I give the packed bags as part of the "warm & fuzzie" of the package and also sell them. The mugs made by the WV potter flew off the shelves. I could have sold many more but he had pneumonia and did not get my reorder made. I will have them next year.
In addition to the standard T-shirts & polo shirts, I have sold aprons with my logo, local jams & jellies, local honey, cookbooks, tea, and Shinnston Community Band CDs. I do not keep a large inventory. With the tea, they have their tea in the morning and if they find something they like, it MIGHT be on the Hoosier shelf.
I will be restocking in the Spring..
gillumhouse said:
I like the local jams, jellies, honey, etc., when I go somewhere. When we stayed in Kennebunkport the Inn was selling a local cookbook to help the local Humane Society and it had a recipe from Barbara Bush and one from Laura Bush so I just had to buy it! When I'm on vacation it's the local and/or handmade things that I love to bring home for souveniers and gifts!

gillumhouse said:
I like the local jams, jellies, honey, etc., when I go somewhere. When we stayed in Kennebunkport the Inn was selling a local cookbook to help the local Humane Society and it had a recipe from Barbara Bush and one from Laura Bush so I just had to buy it! When I'm on vacation it's the local and/or handmade things that I love to bring home for souveniers and gifts!
I forgot the maple syrup too. I always liked the local foods thing when I traveled as souveniers because there would be no storage problem - the Chicago River would handle it - or for us the Fox River. Also the prices were affordable. I do not sell any "big ticket" items YET! The new face mugs Larry is making for me will be pricey so that is a kind of wait and see. I am having him make 4 to see how they go. They will have a face on one side and my medallion on the other with handles big enough for a man to hold the handle.

gillumhouse said:
I forgot the maple syrup too. I always liked the local foods thing when I traveled as souveniers because there would be no storage problem - the Chicago River would handle it - or for us the Fox River. Also the prices were affordable. I do not sell any "big ticket" items YET! The new face mugs Larry is making for me will be pricey so that is a kind of wait and see. I am having him make 4 to see how they go. They will have a face on one side and my medallion on the other with handles big enough for a man to hold the handle.
gillumhouse said:
OK, you HAVE to post a picture of those mugs when he's done!!!!!!!! Are they going to be like those 3-D face jugs you find at antique stores??

gillumhouse said:
gillumhouse said:
OK, you HAVE to post a picture of those mugs when he's done!!!!!!!! Are they going to be like those 3-D face jugs you find at antique stores??
Yes

gillumhouse said:
gillumhouse said:
Yes
I have to see those! I know you posted a link to Larry before, but can you post it again?
Thanks!

gillumhouse said:
gillumhouse said:
Yes
I have to see those! I know you posted a link to Larry before, but can you post it again?
Thanks!
http://www.websterartists.com/rifflepottery/
Edited to say please tell him I sent you if you contact him.

catlady said:
Oh, my! That gift shop looks like a full-time job all by itself!

Back