Sending forgotten guest items back

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
We had a guest who left a very small item here a couple of months ago. Missed it immediately and called to ask if we could send it on. Popped it in the mail next day. Yesterday got a check in the mail for the postage. Never asked for the money but am wondering if the item JUST got to them! 2 months later! It just seemed so odd to send a check for so little (less than a dollar).

We had a guest on a motorcycle on the first leg of a week-long trip leave his wallet. He was a Houston police officer and was packing heat. His credit card, drivers license and gun permit were all in the wallet. We had to overnight fedex the wallet to his next destination some 400 miles away. I think it cost about $70 to ship it. I paid for the shipping and just added it to his bill.

just sent some trousers back took them a month to ring up and ask (he was lucky cos we don't keep things for ever it had very nearly gone to goodwill) took a credit card and sent it back and just charged for the jiffy bag, postage, and $2 for my time. Think that was reasonable. I always charge as people say they will send a cheque and don't and or they just send for postage and I have to pay for the jiffy bag to send it in. Some places charge a standard $10 charge whatever it is. Think that is a bit harsh as it my only be a small thing. I charge what I think is reasonable. also if it is an expensive item I have it insured just in case.

Over the first few years I sent a number of items back to people, and not one of them acknowledged receipt or paid me a penny compensation.
Don't do that anymore.
Had a lady from the US leave a wash bag recently, full of toiletries and contact lens cases, all sorts. Asked for it to be mailed to her, got it priced at the Post Office, told her it would be £35, never heard from her again.

Over the first few years I sent a number of items back to people, and not one of them acknowledged receipt or paid me a penny compensation.
Don't do that anymore.
Had a lady from the US leave a wash bag recently, full of toiletries and contact lens cases, all sorts. Asked for it to be mailed to her, got it priced at the Post Office, told her it would be £35, never heard from her again..
I keep everything for a month as once one lady left a half used lipstick and my chamber maid threw it away as it was in a drawer and assumed she had left it on purpose and she rang for it and threw a wobbley about it! so my chamber maid brings me everything now even hair bobbles and all sorts but that is it any longer and it is off to the charity shop.

Don't do that anymore.
Had a lady from the US leave a wash bag recently, full of toiletries and contact lens cases, all sorts. Asked for it to be mailed to her, got it priced at the Post Office, told her it would be £35, never heard from her again..
I keep everything for a month as once one lady left a half used lipstick and my chamber maid threw it away as it was in a drawer and assumed she had left it on purpose and she rang for it and threw a wobbley about it! so my chamber maid brings me everything now even hair bobbles and all sorts but that is it any longer and it is off to the charity shop.
threw a wobbley about it!
Love that expression.
We had the same thing...a shower cap for pity's sake. We figured she only needed it the once, no big deal, we threw it out. She called and got all upset saying it was new and she had to buy another one and were we sure she didn't leave it with us she couldn't find it anywhere.

I don't send anything back anymore, or contact the guest about it either. Have had all kinds of things left behind, I just put them all in a box. If they call, I have it......if they don't, I donate everything decent at the end of the year.

just sent some trousers back took them a month to ring up and ask (he was lucky cos we don't keep things for ever it had very nearly gone to goodwill) took a credit card and sent it back and just charged for the jiffy bag, postage, and $2 for my time. Think that was reasonable. I always charge as people say they will send a cheque and don't and or they just send for postage and I have to pay for the jiffy bag to send it in. Some places charge a standard $10 charge whatever it is. Think that is a bit harsh as it my only be a small thing. I charge what I think is reasonable. also if it is an expensive item I have it insured just in case..
A local bnb charges $20! I have NEVER been reimbursed for postage sending something back. A recent guest forgot something, and sent the return envelope post-paid. Unfortunately, I received it postage due and she will have to pay postage too, too. Never got reimbursed. Once I left a swim suit at a bnb, but sent the innkeeper $5 to forward it to me, back when postage was about 1/2 of that.

Don't do that anymore.
threw a wobbley about it!
Love that expression.
We had the same thing...a shower cap for pity's sake. We figured she only needed it the once, no big deal, we threw it out. She called and got all upset saying it was new and she had to buy another one and were we sure she didn't leave it with us she couldn't find it anywhere.
Had one of those left, too. Got no response after I contacted the guest. I sent a top once, my expense. Never got as much as a "thank you."

I don't send anything back anymore, or contact the guest about it either. Have had all kinds of things left behind, I just put them all in a box. If they call, I have it......if they don't, I donate everything decent at the end of the year..
I donate at the end of each month as you would not believe the amount of t-shirts, shoes, pants one chap left 8 hankershiefs all folded up all sorts they go in the box then off to the charity shop (luckily there are 3 in the next street very convenient) People shoudn't leave things or should ring up straight away for them. My last call was from a chap who stayed about 3 weeks ago any longer and they would be off.

The only times we have charged or been sticklers was one kid whose shirt needed to go to the UK. And the girl who snuck the extra people into her room- she had to send a prepaid mailer to get her stuff back. Otherwise, we get relatively few calls for left-behinds and what we do send back is usually under $5.
Some people swing back for stuff.
I was just amazed someone would wait 2 months to mail me a check for 87 cents. Or whatever it was.

I find it very amazing you recieved a check for such a little amount... and after 2 months why bother. But it is very nice that they did remember. So many do not! In fact I think some think it is your obligation to return their property left behind.
I do not return things unless they have called and requested. Mostly it is the usual charger left behind and many of those are never requested as I think it is cheaper to go to wally world or the local cell store and get a replacement.
I do not keep undies, they are tossed in the garbage that day, never thinking anyone would request them to be returned.... BUT it DID happen! A couple of days after departure, a lady called and said her husband left a pair of boxers in the bathroom and these were a special pair, so wanted them sent back. I had to dig through the garbage, luckily the bag was near the top and the other garbage in the bag was paper products. Not a single word of thanks.
Since then, if they want anything sent, they pay for the packaging and postage via credit card charge. Since they are paying, I always ask if they want ins. on the package. I always get the tracking and send them an email with the amount of the charge and the tracking number.
I had one guy leave a umbrella - expensive golf style. He called and asked for me to hold it for him as he was sure he would be traveling through again. That umbrella sat here for 10 months and finally one day he called and asked if he could stop by.

I find it very amazing you recieved a check for such a little amount... and after 2 months why bother. But it is very nice that they did remember. So many do not! In fact I think some think it is your obligation to return their property left behind.
I do not return things unless they have called and requested. Mostly it is the usual charger left behind and many of those are never requested as I think it is cheaper to go to wally world or the local cell store and get a replacement.
I do not keep undies, they are tossed in the garbage that day, never thinking anyone would request them to be returned.... BUT it DID happen! A couple of days after departure, a lady called and said her husband left a pair of boxers in the bathroom and these were a special pair, so wanted them sent back. I had to dig through the garbage, luckily the bag was near the top and the other garbage in the bag was paper products. Not a single word of thanks.
Since then, if they want anything sent, they pay for the packaging and postage via credit card charge. Since they are paying, I always ask if they want ins. on the package. I always get the tracking and send them an email with the amount of the charge and the tracking number.
I had one guy leave a umbrella - expensive golf style. He called and asked for me to hold it for him as he was sure he would be traveling through again. That umbrella sat here for 10 months and finally one day he called and asked if he could stop by..
We took the vacuum bag apart looking for a diamond earring. Did not find it. Guest thought we did and kept it. Like I need ONE diamond earring. I understand the stress because I have a pair of diamond earrings Gomez gave me on our wedding day. I'd be unahppy if I lost one. And it was this woman's 25th anniversary.

Sound like we all need to add still ANOTHER disclaimer to our policies about lost or left items. Not that anyone would read it, but spell out that left items will only be returned with valid credit card information and that a service fee will be levied on top of the actual shipping charges.
There is being nice then there is being walked upon. I'm nicely trying to run a business.

Sound like we all need to add still ANOTHER disclaimer to our policies about lost or left items. Not that anyone would read it, but spell out that left items will only be returned with valid credit card information and that a service fee will be levied on top of the actual shipping charges.
There is being nice then there is being walked upon. I'm nicely trying to run a business..
I tend to balance it our with how long they stayed. More than 2 nights? Ship for free unless it's very expensive. 1 night? Depends on what it will cost me. Under $5? No problem. PITA? Does not matter how long they stayed or what they paid or how much it will cost to ship it back...they pay.
It's like a logic problem.
teeth_smile.gif

There is being nice then there is being walked upon. I'm nicely trying to run a business..
Proud Texan said:
Sound like we all need to add still ANOTHER disclaimer to our policies about lost or left items.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Asked one lady at checkout if everything was OK, she said "Yes, but the rubber sheet on one of the beds was very warm in the night". We both looked at each other and said "What rubber sheet?".
Sure enough when we checked the room under the matress protector was a rubber sheet, no idea where it came from or who left it there.
On another occasion an Oriental lady checked in and then came down and said "One of the draws in our room is full of ladies underwear". Must have forgotten to check all the draws that day, needless to say the owner never got in touch.
Coincidentally, just this week friends of ours had guests go out to dinner and when they got back the lady said she'd left her "Lucky" hat in the restaurant and would they get it back. Lucky hat ?
As others have said, we keep things for a couple of weeks and if no-one asks for them back they go in the bin or charity box.

Probably just slipped their mind, but how nice of them to acknowledge that you sent something back and to pay you for the postage!
I kept things found in the room and waited to hear from the guest, unless I knew that there would probably not be a problem emailing them to let them know they left something behind. Have had things left after "flings" and didn't contact the guests....those items went to the donation box, if appropriate.
Had a gentleman leave some clothing when he stayed here & contacted him and offered to return it and would charge his credit card for the postage. He said that he would send a postage paid mailer. I guess he thought that I'd charge him a whole lot more than it cost to return the item?? The pre-paid mailer worked out well. After that, that's the direction I took for most people with larger items. Send me a mailer and I'll return your item.
I had a lady leave a small jewelry case here and FINALLY got the daughter (who had booked the rooms for her parents) to respond to my repeated emails with an address to send it to. I don't think the jewelry was that expensive but I sent it insured & delivery confirmation, which I received. Never heard back from the mother that she received it, even after enclosing a note thanks for your stay & to please email me that it arrived safely. Didn't receive payment for the mailing either. This made me change my procedure to get addresses on everyone in our rooms, even when booked by someone else staying here.
A guest lost a necklace somewhere here in town that had sentimental value & I felt so bad for her! Probably lost it while walking around and taking photos. :-(
Our guest registration form (which is generated by the rez system) had a note that read something like "XYZ Inn not responsible for lost or stolen items"...taken right from some hotel registration form.
A guest that takes the time to send back the postage, no matter when, is a nice guest!!

Probably just slipped their mind, but how nice of them to acknowledge that you sent something back and to pay you for the postage!
I kept things found in the room and waited to hear from the guest, unless I knew that there would probably not be a problem emailing them to let them know they left something behind. Have had things left after "flings" and didn't contact the guests....those items went to the donation box, if appropriate.
Had a gentleman leave some clothing when he stayed here & contacted him and offered to return it and would charge his credit card for the postage. He said that he would send a postage paid mailer. I guess he thought that I'd charge him a whole lot more than it cost to return the item?? The pre-paid mailer worked out well. After that, that's the direction I took for most people with larger items. Send me a mailer and I'll return your item.
I had a lady leave a small jewelry case here and FINALLY got the daughter (who had booked the rooms for her parents) to respond to my repeated emails with an address to send it to. I don't think the jewelry was that expensive but I sent it insured & delivery confirmation, which I received. Never heard back from the mother that she received it, even after enclosing a note thanks for your stay & to please email me that it arrived safely. Didn't receive payment for the mailing either. This made me change my procedure to get addresses on everyone in our rooms, even when booked by someone else staying here.
A guest lost a necklace somewhere here in town that had sentimental value & I felt so bad for her! Probably lost it while walking around and taking photos. :-(
Our guest registration form (which is generated by the rez system) had a note that read something like "XYZ Inn not responsible for lost or stolen items"...taken right from some hotel registration form.
A guest that takes the time to send back the postage, no matter when, is a nice guest!!.
Samster said:
A guest that takes the time to send back the postage, no matter when, is a nice guest!!
Yes, but a check for 87 cents? Just send the woman a buck, for crying out loud!

It should be something valuable to ask me to stand in line at the post office. :) I like the "If you need something returned via mail there is a $20 service fee in addition to the postage" My gas, my time.
I won't send anything without charging the guests credit card. I have not had to send anything back for a while, I am accumulating goodwill stuff, I hold onto it for about 30 days then give it away. We have more belts and cell phone chargers at our goodwill than any in our area. LOL!

Back