Septic

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McQuade72

Reaction score
Do any of you run on Septic? If so how often do you get it pumped (I know depends on size) and cost? Inn is 8 bedrooms.

We do. 3 units plus us. Don't know the volume. Haven't pumped since installation about 2002. Tank was inspected two years ago and we're still good for the foreseeable future. I'm v e r y careful about what goes down. I towel grease out of pans before washing, don't use conditioner, if bleaching use buckets and deposit outside not down drain. I'm pretty obsessive. Guests maybe not so much.
med_Capture.JPG

We have a state of the art mound system that doesn’t need to get pumped, but we pay $249 a year for remote monitoring and an inspection/filter replacement.
its so high-tech if a toilet is running, we get an alert.
and yes, we’re careful about grease and other things going in.

Also we have a water alarm that goes off that it looks like old owners ignored. I have the septic getting pumped this week so hopefully thats what it is?

We do, 8 guest rooms plus family quarters. From memory, 2000g septic tank, runs through filter to 1500g pump tank, and then to a distribution box that feeds seven lines of what I think they called "tiles". Those seven lines are small PVC lines and a "tile" looked to me like a five or six concrete blocks glued together. There are about 500 feet of "tiles", in theory the system pumps, those tiles fill, and water has a length of time to seep into the ground before the system cycles again. System has worked for many years without a problem except for a couple of pump replacements over the years. Due to it being older now we general have it pumped once or twice a year just for our peace of mind. Cost to pump I think is $225 or in that range.
There is a light and an alarm that goes off if the system fails to pump (don't know if that is the sort of alarm you mention) has only been an issue when the pump failed, (usually at bedtime in the rain for me), last issue was that the alarm and pump control failed, if you have my type of system that might be something to check.

Our township approval is based on an annual pumping...had to do it based on specs, but hey, its not a bad thing! Signs in each bathroom, so hopefully guests are made aware. But we live in a very agriculturally based area (fruit growers, federal/state parks, etc... so we are happy to do it - and the cost goes in the "pile" for the CPA!)
wink_smile.gif

we have 5 rooms and pump every three years. also must have an access port on your tank so you can visually inspect from time to time to see how thick the "mat" is. Sounds kind of gross but I take a long stick and poke it to see how thick- it floats on top. Also need to check for tree root penetration if you are surrounded by trees like we are. We use rootX twice a year- you can google it.

Every year. Guest flush everything down the toilets. So it’s cheaper to pump every year than to replace the system. Clogged lines are no fun. We learned the hard way. Use to do every 2-3 years. Our guy that does it actually recommends every 6-8 months because you know what you flush. But guests flush everything. They are there to have a good time and that means flushing the party balloons when the party is over.

We had a septic blockage disaster last winter. Mainly due to gradual settling that left inlet pipe about 3 inches offset too low so the rubber connector (Fernco) caught clogs. We caught it before it was really bad, but we still flooded a room. I dug out tank (rented a little back hoe), re-did pipes and added clean out and inspection ports. I check every 6 months. Pumping is expensive here - about $700 -- because of wastewater treatment charges. I also left closest clean out lid loose so if it blows again, its on the lawn, not inside the house.

We had a septic blockage disaster last winter. Mainly due to gradual settling that left inlet pipe about 3 inches offset too low so the rubber connector (Fernco) caught clogs. We caught it before it was really bad, but we still flooded a room. I dug out tank (rented a little back hoe), re-did pipes and added clean out and inspection ports. I check every 6 months. Pumping is expensive here - about $700 -- because of wastewater treatment charges. I also left closest clean out lid loose so if it blows again, its on the lawn, not inside the house..
I am on city sewer system (a very old one). April 2017 discovered sewer was coming up in the yard - called sewer dept. They came with their handy dandy truck whatever and told me there was a grease ball - a big one. Interesting as I do not fry anything. They found the clean-out and my son who was here for the Memorial Service figured out how to put a cap on it - odd size since it goes back to about 1912. Friday I discovered it was backing up again and yesterday while I was checking on it, water bubbled out - yep, neighbor had just flushed.
Called sewer dept first thing this morning. He said, "Already?" This time it was TP. The guy with the hose said he will put me on the list to check it every other Friday to see that it stays clear. I like our guys. They are sooo good. (He cleaned up what was there today. Sunday I had raked up the muck and shoveled it into a garbage bag - this morning was trash day.)

We have six septic tanks, three pump stations, and two leach fields. We are trying to keep the septic tanks on a schedule where they each get pumped out once every three years. There is only one company in the area with honey wagons that have enough capacity to handle two of our tanks...

Back