Seriously? You have to ask!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baygirl

Reaction score
I just did a post regarding our policy of no children under 10. Now we get a phone call last night around 10PM, since we stop answering phones after a certain time in the evening they left a message. Message I wake up to says that him, his wife and 11mo baby would love to stay with us over the weekend and he saw the policy online regarding the age limit for children, but he wasn't sure if that applied to his baby... Because he said babies may not fall in to that category. Seriously??? I haven't returned the phone call and I'm not sure I will.
omg_smile.gif

Oh what a bunch of idiots we have out there!!! GRRR I feel sorry for all of you having to put up with so much crap from guests and potential guests.

Ah, yes, the word contortionist. You SAID 'children', he has a baby. Not the same thing at all. Go update it to say 'Anyone under 10 years of age' or 'children and babies under 10 years of age.'
It goes along with guests saying the baby will sleep in the bed with them so why can't they put the baby in a room for 2? Because you and the baby make 2, the other adult makes 3 and the room is only sized for 2, of any age.

I have a whole pile of stuff (as do we all) on my website about how to get here taking the train. Got an email asking if they could take a train to get here. And could they walk to stuff. Amazingly, info right on the home page. And in the drop down menus. I even have packages devoted to doing those things.
And I thought I did a good job of getting rid of text!

Ah, yes, the word contortionist. You SAID 'children', he has a baby. Not the same thing at all. Go update it to say 'Anyone under 10 years of age' or 'children and babies under 10 years of age.'
It goes along with guests saying the baby will sleep in the bed with them so why can't they put the baby in a room for 2? Because you and the baby make 2, the other adult makes 3 and the room is only sized for 2, of any age..
It goes along with guests saying the baby will sleep in the bed with them so why can't they put the baby in a room for 2?
Because we do not want anyone to roll over on the baby in the night and wake up with a dead child. Our liability insurance does not cover smothered babies.

It goes along with guests saying the baby will sleep in the bed with them so why can't they put the baby in a room for 2? Because you and the baby make 2, the other adult makes 3 and the room is only sized for 2, of any age..
You forgot those people who don't count children as people. Seen a few of those over the years.

Today I had a couple who thought that the world revolves around their children. They were in the cottage 1 night. I did not charge for the kids because they were young and we didn't have to cook for them.
Father comes into the 'lobby' at 11:45, interrupts me checking out another couple, has the older 4 year old in his arms, still in jammies and says his other child (approx 6-8 months old) is in the middle of his morning nap and could they check out late so he can sleep? I told him I'm so sorry, but we need to turn over all our rooms today and it's really not possible. Presses me again for it...I'm in front of other guests and it's very awkward so I say I can give him an extra 15 minutes and that's it because it's just the two of us that have to turn over the whole place.
Sooo, at 11:15 he comes back in and wants to sit in the main house and use the wifi (he had wifi in the cottage the whole time during his stay). I tell him I'm sorry, but we are running around crazy, that won't work. He goes back and sits on the ground near the Cottage and wife is loading bicycles onto car and I see the older kid in the car seat.
I go into the cottage, to the bathroom so they can see we need to start cleaning and I turn on the light and right in front of me is the 'pack and play' with a blanket over it. The father then comes in and pulls the kid out of it! What??? You're supposed to be out of here!
No apologies, no rushing, nothing! They didn't leave until 11:35 (I can't imagine what time they would have left if we hadn't be on their ass) and then they left items behind so I'm going to have to deal with them again. Oh yeah, and their next stop today is only 15 minutes down the road...camping.
Not only did we have to turn over all the rooms, but I also had to get into town and get flowers before check-in. I just wanted to scream at these people!

Today I had a couple who thought that the world revolves around their children. They were in the cottage 1 night. I did not charge for the kids because they were young and we didn't have to cook for them.
Father comes into the 'lobby' at 11:45, interrupts me checking out another couple, has the older 4 year old in his arms, still in jammies and says his other child (approx 6-8 months old) is in the middle of his morning nap and could they check out late so he can sleep? I told him I'm so sorry, but we need to turn over all our rooms today and it's really not possible. Presses me again for it...I'm in front of other guests and it's very awkward so I say I can give him an extra 15 minutes and that's it because it's just the two of us that have to turn over the whole place.
Sooo, at 11:15 he comes back in and wants to sit in the main house and use the wifi (he had wifi in the cottage the whole time during his stay). I tell him I'm sorry, but we are running around crazy, that won't work. He goes back and sits on the ground near the Cottage and wife is loading bicycles onto car and I see the older kid in the car seat.
I go into the cottage, to the bathroom so they can see we need to start cleaning and I turn on the light and right in front of me is the 'pack and play' with a blanket over it. The father then comes in and pulls the kid out of it! What??? You're supposed to be out of here!
No apologies, no rushing, nothing! They didn't leave until 11:35 (I can't imagine what time they would have left if we hadn't be on their ass) and then they left items behind so I'm going to have to deal with them again. Oh yeah, and their next stop today is only 15 minutes down the road...camping.
Not only did we have to turn over all the rooms, but I also had to get into town and get flowers before check-in. I just wanted to scream at these people!.
Breakfast Diva said:
I just wanted to scream at these people!
In your own way, you just did!
thumbs_up.gif

Not only did we have to turn over all the rooms, but I also had to get into town and get flowers before check-in. I just wanted to scream at these people!.
Breakfast Diva said:
thumbs_up.gif

Arkansawyer said:
Breakfast Diva said:
thumbs_up.gif
thanks for the vent!

Hey, you've read my yelp review right? What a prima donna that was. And did not get her pretty ass out of here until almost 1 PM and then gave me grief online? Spare me. Turning the whole house by ourselves and I have to deal with this crap?

Hey, you've read my yelp review right? What a prima donna that was. And did not get her pretty ass out of here until almost 1 PM and then gave me grief online? Spare me. Turning the whole house by ourselves and I have to deal with this crap?
Madeleine said:
Oh yeah, I forgot about your yelp review! If I get one from this family, I'm seriously going to go ballistic.
Now, on the positive side, we got the most amazing wonderful review on TA a couple of days ago. It restores my faith in humanity!

Came home from the Concert to a rez (love RezKey) that actually Commented that the online reservation would not let them enter 2 children, will that be a problem? WOOHOO - people who tell you they have 2 kids. My motorcycle guests went to the concert tonight and when we got home he offered to carry the bari sax in for me!! The long-term huy told me that if need help with anything just let him know and he will do it for me - offered to take the trash to the curb for me trash day.

So I didn't call the guy back and woke up to this email this morning from him!
I would like to reserve a room for the night of July 4th, checking out July 5th. We
are driving from Philadelphia to Montreal and have a very well behaved (as well as
cute and charming) 11 month old daughter traveling with us. We would bring a travel
crib and would require no additional resources to handle her needs.
Would you be able to accommodate this request?
I nicely wrote, sorry our no children under 10 policy includes babies. UGH....PEOPLE!!!!!!!!

I just read that review and it's not really a review, it's an attempt to play he said/she said and if you are correct in what you said and have the data to pass it off, it does legally fall under the classification of libel. And I would try to bring that to Y's attention. They have lost numerous lawsuits when it comes to libel. It's worth a try anyway.
Though, it comes off to me that you were reasonable faced with an unreasonable situation and as I use Y myself, I wouldn't even give that review a moment's thought... I would classify it as "funny" showing how stupid the user was, rather than a reflection on you.
I do find it odd that it isn't filtered, though. Usually when someone has only one review posted it moves into the filtered category. Or could it be your reply that keeps it from being filtered?

I just read that review and it's not really a review, it's an attempt to play he said/she said and if you are correct in what you said and have the data to pass it off, it does legally fall under the classification of libel. And I would try to bring that to Y's attention. They have lost numerous lawsuits when it comes to libel. It's worth a try anyway.
Though, it comes off to me that you were reasonable faced with an unreasonable situation and as I use Y myself, I wouldn't even give that review a moment's thought... I would classify it as "funny" showing how stupid the user was, rather than a reflection on you.
I do find it odd that it isn't filtered, though. Usually when someone has only one review posted it moves into the filtered category. Or could it be your reply that keeps it from being filtered?
Most guests who comment on that review, and a few do, want to know was she really as awful as she sounds. And I tell them, 'Worse.'
But it has made us very leery of group bookings where we only have one cc on file.

It's amazing how many people ask that question. "I see you only allow for 2 people per suite, can we bring our son/daughter with us?"

Most guests who comment on that review, and a few do, want to know was she really as awful as she sounds. And I tell them, 'Worse.'
But it has made us very leery of group bookings where we only have one cc on file.
I find that people tend to see through people like that. It does make a nice conversation starter. You could mention that instead of a car she came in on a Hoover bagless vacuum. :)

So I didn't call the guy back and woke up to this email this morning from him!
I would like to reserve a room for the night of July 4th, checking out July 5th. We
are driving from Philadelphia to Montreal and have a very well behaved (as well as
cute and charming) 11 month old daughter traveling with us. We would bring a travel
crib and would require no additional resources to handle her needs.
Would you be able to accommodate this request?
I nicely wrote, sorry our no children under 10 policy includes babies. UGH....PEOPLE!!!!!!!!.
This guy is clueless!

Back