Seriously?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madeleine

Reaction score
Someone just rang the doorbell asking for a donation. Yes, 9 AM. Do they GET what a B&B does?

Last night we had somebody at our door doing same at 9pm!!! Really?! Did they think we welcome them smiling?

Who goes door to door for donations anymore??? Besides the rudeness of doing that to a b&b, I just wouldn't trust that they were official collectors.
Lately, when I get a solicitation phone call in the morning, I've been having a little fun with them...Especially if they are targeting our industry. I ask them if they know we're a bed and breakfast, then I'll ask them what time is it. At that point, they hang up on me. For some odd reason, I get a kick out of that!

Who goes door to door for donations anymore??? Besides the rudeness of doing that to a b&b, I just wouldn't trust that they were official collectors.
Lately, when I get a solicitation phone call in the morning, I've been having a little fun with them...Especially if they are targeting our industry. I ask them if they know we're a bed and breakfast, then I'll ask them what time is it. At that point, they hang up on me. For some odd reason, I get a kick out of that!.
Our Fire Dept and E squad go door to door..but not first thing in the morning:) They post signs in town letting everyone know the week they will be out..so I am always ready for them. No one else but them :)

Maddie, the answer to your question is NO, they don't think about anything but themselves and the task they have been assigned to do.

Same goes for phone calls during breakfast, they are only thinking of the task at hand - I get just as many calls to book rooms or ask B&B related questions during breakfast as I sales calls. When I ask to call them back (not sales of course) as I am deep into breakfast, I always get a shocked OH, I didn't even think......

They call at 9AM... they don't get a single thing.
Seriously, you've seen the review... they don't know how to us a window instead of AC... you think they know what a B&B is?

Madeleine said:
Do they GET what a B&B does?
No, absolutely no idea. They probably didn't even think about it. Just patted themselves on the back for getting such an early start on their day of fund raising.
Glad you didn't punch them.

Madeleine said:
No, absolutely no idea. They probably didn't even think about it. Just patted themselves on the back for getting such an early start on their day of fund raising.
Glad you didn't punch them..
Arkansawyer said:
Madeleine said:
DH answered the door. He was in the kitchen cleaning up at the time. I was on my way to get the door. He said to them that they should talk to me. They looked at me and all hope sank. They said, 'YOU'RE the owner???' Yeah, sweetheart, me, not the guy you were going to sweet talk. ;-)

Madeleine said:
Glad you didn't punch them..
Arkansawyer said:
Madeleine said:
DH answered the door. He was in the kitchen cleaning up at the time. I was on my way to get the door. He said to them that they should talk to me. They looked at me and all hope sank. They said, 'YOU'RE the owner???' Yeah, sweetheart, me, not the guy you were going to sweet talk. ;-)
I had someone show up at 9am today... PEOPLE PEOPLE! But I have to admit, YES THEY CAUGHT ME HOME. haha

On the flip side...I sent in a donation to a local group. When I did the second year I sent a note saying how much my guests were enjoying the magazine they send out. They called. They want to send multi copies so I can put them out in all the rooms (it is a GORGEOUS magazine, truly a work of art) and send me discount coupons for the guests to use in their store.
No one knocked on anyone's door or called at an inconvenient time. (They asked when they called if I had time to talk with them.) Easy peasy.

Had a guest book online a few weeks ago for today and wanted to check in at 10:00 a.m. Called him and spoke to him not once, but twice about check in time. Guess what? He was here at 10:30. Sheesh, this has not been my week.

Had a guest book online a few weeks ago for today and wanted to check in at 10:00 a.m. Called him and spoke to him not once, but twice about check in time. Guess what? He was here at 10:30. Sheesh, this has not been my week..
Country Girl said:
Had a guest book online a few weeks ago for today and wanted to check in at 10:00 a.m. Called him and spoke to him not once, but twice about check in time. Guess what? He was here at 10:30. Sheesh, this has not been my week.
When they deliberately do that, knowing you've spoken to them, even tho I am trying to NOT think I have to change people's poor behavior, I would have to turn them away. Even, no especially, if we had no guests the night before. That's MY time buddy! You want MY time, you pay for it.
Maybe we should all have the mantra for early check-ins that if you must be here THAT early, book the night before.
It's just rude.

Had a guest book online a few weeks ago for today and wanted to check in at 10:00 a.m. Called him and spoke to him not once, but twice about check in time. Guess what? He was here at 10:30. Sheesh, this has not been my week..
Country Girl said:
When they deliberately do that, knowing you've spoken to them, even tho I am trying to NOT think I have to change people's poor behavior, I would have to turn them away. Even, no especially, if we had no guests the night before. That's MY time buddy! You want MY time, you pay for it.
Maybe we should all have the mantra for early check-ins that if you must be here THAT early, book the night before.
It's just rude.
Madeleine said:
Country Girl said:
It's just rude.
Amen!!!

In the same vein but from a vendor...they called earlier and left a message. They emailed and told me they would be calling next week to discuss their program. I emailed back, explained I had spoken with someone already and gave a concise reason why we were not interested.
Got a response back saying my reasons for not wanting their program were exactly what they wanted to talk with me about. They could MAKE my guests opt in. Even tho I cannot seem to do that on my own. They could! They know how to make old people use the internet! From their office!
I replied back no thanks.
Last email just arrived saying they would be calling me on Tuesday at 1 PM unless there was a better time.

In the same vein but from a vendor...they called earlier and left a message. They emailed and told me they would be calling next week to discuss their program. I emailed back, explained I had spoken with someone already and gave a concise reason why we were not interested.
Got a response back saying my reasons for not wanting their program were exactly what they wanted to talk with me about. They could MAKE my guests opt in. Even tho I cannot seem to do that on my own. They could! They know how to make old people use the internet! From their office!
Last email just arrived saying they would be calling me on Tuesday at 1 PM unless there was a better time..
Madeleine said:
Last email just arrived saying they would be calling me on Tuesday at 1 PM unless there was a better time.
Yes, please call me at a better time. NEVER!!!

Last email just arrived saying they would be calling me on Tuesday at 1 PM unless there was a better time..
Seriously? They imagine that they can make a sale after you told them not to call?
Send back a reply. "Sorry, I'm not interested, especially for a company that can't seem to respect my wishes. Please call, so I can program my call block service for your telephone number."

Back