Service Animals, Emotional Support Animals and Therapy Dogs

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What about telemedicine? My sister is suggesting me a telemedicine website. Her friend got the esa letter from there and she tells me that the doctor’s license number is legit. So do you have any online site suggestions for the recommendation letter.

What about telemedicine? My sister is suggesting me a telemedicine website. Her friend got the esa letter from there and she tells me that the doctor’s license number is legit. So do you have any online site suggestions for the recommendation letter..
Regina Quirion said:
What about telemedicine? My sister is suggesting me a telemedicine website. Her friend got the esa letter from there and she tells me that the doctor’s license number is legit. So do you have any online site suggestions for the recommendation letter.
You may not have noticed - we don't provide information on how to cheat and lie. If your sister's friends got a fake letter online, just do the same.
But don't expect anyone to accept your pet as a service animal. Over half of US states now have laws that say you can be fined for lying about your pet. Is it worth it?

What about telemedicine? My sister is suggesting me a telemedicine website. Her friend got the esa letter from there and she tells me that the doctor’s license number is legit. So do you have any online site suggestions for the recommendation letter..
Regina Quirion said:
You may not have noticed - we don't provide information on how to cheat and lie. If your sister's friends got a fake letter online, just do the same.
But don't expect anyone to accept your pet as a service animal. Over half of US states now have laws that say you can be fined for lying about your pet. Is it worth it?
Very true.
Experienced innkeepers offer personal hospitality -- guests deal with us directly. We are used to accommodating a wide range of needs, including persons with genuine disabilities. We generally don't accommodate bull ___. If someone shows up waving a letter and a dog wearing a special jacket, my alarm buzzer sounds. We have guests with true service dogs (sometime with a "working dog" sign on the harness) and there is a world of difference between those trained, working dogs and the little beasts passed off as emotional support. I have had to explain this distinction to a few ladies (always) in the past; conversation was short if not sweet.

In the past I raise guide dogs and had a certified therapy dog. I can spot a fake in a moment. We went through difficult training and testing

Thanks for the great post but i have a question How Do you know if Your ESA Letter is Legit or not?.
pdscenter said:
Thanks for the great post but i have a question How Do you know if Your ESA Letter is Legit or not?
You don't. But the good news is that ESAs are NOT covered under the Americans With Disabilities Act, so you are under no legal obligation to accommodate them.
Right, ESA not relevant to accommodations and B&B 5 rooms or under are exempt even from actual ADA service dog requirements. There's other threads on this.
Thanks for reminding everyone about that. We have three rooms and stick to it. We graciously apologize, and explain about other guests and allergens, but since we are clearly under the room exemption, and it is our residence, we do have the right to...and will kindly... offer you the local kennel phone number - or suggest another lodging option!

Regina Quirion said:
I worked at a resort that actually had a dedicated service dog training facility. The puppies were welped onsite and guests at the resort helped provide socialization -- and of course the dogs provided much-needed doggie-love to the guests. It was (and still is) an amazing partnership, and the dogs that eventually come out of that program serve individuals and organizations around the world when they "graduate." It takes a very special animal (breeding and temperament are crucial) and around 18-24 months to fully train one of these very special, fully-qualified service dogs, and the investment is equivalent to about $25,000. Clearly recipients don't pay for them, but this gives an idea of the careful selection and significant amount of time it takes to "make" a qualified service animal. Anyone trying to pass off a pet is doing this invaluable industry -- and those who depend on it -- an incredible disservice.

Late to this thread, but a new member here and new Innkeeper In Texas. I have been informed you can ask “What service does your dog provide.” A service animal is trained to provide assistance for specific needs. If they cannot answer that question, it is not a legitimate service dog and you can enforce existing no-pets policies.
I had to track this info down due to a guest who booked before I stepped in as Innkeeper, who arrived with a “service” dog that wasn’t. Not gonna happen anymore.
Actually, the dog wasn’t as much of an issue as the child was. We are no-kids-under-12 but somehow this person was booked with 11-yr-old. Child and parent were in common areas outside bedrooms chatting loudly at 11pm, I had to point out guests were sleeping in the next room. Lessons learned!

Back