Service points

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Another thread prompted this one: Service point - turn down service, concierge service, breakfast in bed...
How much service is required in a small mom and pop B&B vs a larger inn? Do you feel the small mom and pop's give more service since they are family owned and operated vs a larger inn? Is part of the service being there vs hired staff? Or is service added amenities and features like evening turn down?
Not insulting anyone for what they do, but how much should we do for our own B&B and what our room rates are?
Is there a specific price criteria where guests expect much more for their room rate?
Your thoughts?

From what I have read here, sounds like alot of guests "want it all" no matter what the cost...AKA "PITA's"
tounge_smile.gif

Our rates were $125-$150 per night. I tried to provide as many amenities as I would want, but certainly nothing out of the ordinary. And nothing I thought would cost me that much to do. What's a few sodas, nice chocolates and my garden flowers in the rooms????
I think hospitality and good customer service is why I opened a B & B. I think it is the innkeepers that make the stay...not necessarily the amenitiies. A safe, clean place with a comfortable room and a good breakfast..that is the B & B basics. I think we all know, repeats come back for the innkeepers...not the building.

Its hard to put together what you should expect for what money.
I do find that when I stay somewhere with lower prices I have lower expectations.
Although the expectations are usually geared more to the type of accomodation I expect along with the location.

I do find that when I stay somewhere with lower prices I have lower expectations.
Although the expectations are usually geared more to the type of accomodation I expect along with the location..
After looking at a few of the sites JB pointed out today. I most certainly would expect amenities up the wazoo for prices at $250+ a night.
But I wouldn't EVER pay that much anyway, so I will never know. There is no room out there worth $250 a night to me...B& B or otherwise...

Although the expectations are usually geared more to the type of accomodation I expect along with the location..
Crystal B said:
Although the expectations are usually geared more to the type of accomodation I expect along with the location.
YES! A motel 6 in NY is $300 a night. So location does play a part in this, maybe a part some guests (Pitas) don't really get? Ye old "When in Rome" scenario.

Crystal B said:
YES! A motel 6 in NY is $300 a night. So location does play a part in this, maybe a part some guests (Pitas) don't really get? Ye old "When in Rome" scenario.
I hate to admit it. If I paid 300.00 for a motel 6 I would expect it to be the nicest motel 6 you have ever seen - but a motel 6 is what I would expect.

Regardless of where we travel or the type of accommodation (hotel/motel/campground/b&b), all I truly expect is what is promised on the property's website...if you say you have a hot tub in each room, it'd better be there and it had better work. If you promise free WiFi, I want it to work from my room. If you advertise free parking, there had better be a space for me.
For upwards of $250/night I think I am more concerned with room amenities...I'd want a porch or deck or some type of private entrance, and a hot tub in the room. For any place I am happy with whatever breakfast I get, I'm just not that picky about it.
While we choose b&b's as often as we can because they tend to be "nicer" (for me this means cleaner better tended than a hotel would be) I definitely shy away from smaller Mom & Pop type places because the innkeepers in my experience have been over-bearing. Privacy is important.

I am small and off the beaten path and decided to provide service to make up for the 3 w/shared I had when i opened. I do provide concierge service in so far as I will make resevations, give routings, and/or press a shirt or whatever. I give privacy of room, I give choice of breakfast time. Knowing that I like to read and may like a munchie late in the evening, I provide free books to be "stolen" and have a basket in each room with bananas, apples, and snack crackers or cookies or both. I try to provide what I would like to have.
I also wanted to wow my guests with my breakfast settings. (I heard one man on second visit tell friends - I told you, didn;t I tell you?) They expect nothing much from Podunk. They find instead elegance. I now use chargers (did not at first) and have silverplate but always have used cloth napkins and glass napkin rings, glass knife rests, goblets for water and for juice as well as a bread plate, a sherbet or pretty bowl for fruit, and of course dinner plate and cup/saucer. Tea drinkers find a custard cup next to their tea cup for the used bag or infuser.
Once guests are in-house and I have shown them to their room, I do not go upstairs unless requested (except of course to clean the shared bath).

This is a great thread! I agree that it's the innkeepers that make the place but it's also how the innkeeper go out of their way to provide service and comfort that impresses people. And, it doesn't have to be BIG things either. We had a couple here for one night at the end of their time in town (they said they had wanted to stay here fpr the length of their stay but we were full for the last week) and they are coming back here next month instead of the other B&B. Why? I think it was the little things that we personally did for them. No real "staff" here except some housekeeping help a couple of days a week and someone who mows our yard. Plus, we live right here and people can see that we pour our heart and soul into this place every single day.
One of our week long guests who travels extensively paid me a great compliment when she said that all the food was wonderful but that we "fed her spirit and soul" which she never gets from a hotel. It doesn't get much better than that!

After looking at a few of the sites JB pointed out today. I most certainly would expect amenities up the wazoo for prices at $250+ a night.
But I wouldn't EVER pay that much anyway, so I will never know. There is no room out there worth $250 a night to me...B& B or otherwise...
catlady said:
I think it's location and what you're used to paying. I think our rates are high, but with the amenities we provide, we need to charge at least what the other inns in our area are charging.
We have had guests from DC and Maryland mention on TripAdvisor that our rates were "extremely reasonable" and "affordable" and we charge $250 and $275 for our suites on the weekends.
But we also since the rates are high here include a bottle of sparkling wine, fresh flowers, expensive vinotherapy hair products, port and locally made chocolate turndown, full local farm produce and meats breakfast which is not cheap for us to buy. We also open a house wine and local cheese for them when we are checking them in. And, if they book our wine tour we offer them transportation to and from dinner, where a cab would be $20 one way even though it's only 6.5 miles to town.
RIki

Regardless of where we travel or the type of accommodation (hotel/motel/campground/b&b), all I truly expect is what is promised on the property's website...if you say you have a hot tub in each room, it'd better be there and it had better work. If you promise free WiFi, I want it to work from my room. If you advertise free parking, there had better be a space for me.
For upwards of $250/night I think I am more concerned with room amenities...I'd want a porch or deck or some type of private entrance, and a hot tub in the room. For any place I am happy with whatever breakfast I get, I'm just not that picky about it.
While we choose b&b's as often as we can because they tend to be "nicer" (for me this means cleaner better tended than a hotel would be) I definitely shy away from smaller Mom & Pop type places because the innkeepers in my experience have been over-bearing. Privacy is important..
InnsiderInfo said:
While we choose b&b's as often as we can because they tend to be "nicer" (for me this means cleaner better tended than a hotel would be) I definitely shy away from smaller Mom & Pop type places because the innkeepers in my experience have been over-bearing. Privacy is important.
Don't say that! 95% on this forum are mom and pops!
wink_smile.gif

But oddly enough I agree with you. Not that I never agree with you, just that as innkeepers we value our away time even more than most of our guests. We don't want to talk shop (Unless visiting an inn-mate then there is no topic off limit!)
Guests told me about innkeepers the other night who sit out on the porch at 9 or 10pm and ...I thought, holy crap by 9 or 10pm, I AM DONE, I WANT MY SHOWER AND MY BED!

While we choose b&b's as often as we can because they tend to be "nicer" (for me this means cleaner better tended than a hotel would be) I definitely shy away from smaller Mom & Pop type places because the innkeepers in my experience have been over-bearing. Privacy is important..
InnsiderInfo said:
Don't say that! 95% on this forum are mom and pops!
wink_smile.gif

But oddly enough I agree with you. Not that I never agree with you, just that as innkeepers we value our away time even more than most of our guests. We don't want to talk shop (Unless visiting an inn-mate then there is no topic off limit!)
Guests told me about innkeepers the other night who sit out on the porch at 9 or 10pm and ...I thought, holy crap by 9 or 10pm, I AM DONE, I WANT MY SHOWER AND MY BED!
I know, and I consider US Mom & Pop...but there is a difference...you can usually tell by the website. I'm referring to the more unprofessional (for lack of a better word) Mom & Pop type places...I really can't put my finger on it but you can usually tell that someone is going to be hovering over you the entire time you're in their house.
And just for clarification, I would be lucky to stay at ANY of the member inns on this forum, judging by their websites and their keepers
regular_smile.gif

" I definitely shy away from smaller Mom & Pop type places because the innkeepers in my experience have been over-bearing. Privacy is important. "
Innsider...you just haven't stayed at the right Mom & Pop place! We get rave reviews for the perfect balance of privacy and attention. Pop and I love being small, and the more personal feel of ruinning (and staying at) a small Inn. We don't ever stay at a large place when we travel.
-Mom
wink_smile.gif

" I definitely shy away from smaller Mom & Pop type places because the innkeepers in my experience have been over-bearing. Privacy is important. "
Innsider...you just haven't stayed at the right Mom & Pop place! We get rave reviews for the perfect balance of privacy and attention. Pop and I love being small, and the more personal feel of ruinning (and staying at) a small Inn. We don't ever stay at a large place when we travel.
-Mom
wink_smile.gif

Watch it Blue, you could just tempt me to chuck a bag in the car and head west, PRONTO!

-Mom
wink_smile.gif

Watch it Blue, you could just tempt me to chuck a bag in the car and head west, PRONTO!
Any, any time, Innsider. I would love to meet you.

InnsiderInfo said:
Most people feel like you do. I really think a big reason why we are busier than most of the B&Bs in my region is that our website stresses privacy. Yes, we offer the luxury, service and coziness of a B&B, but we offer the privacy most couples crave.
If your B&B offers a lot of privacy, then be sure to portray that on your website. It will definitely pay off.

I think over $200 most guests expect a lot of amenities, including access to 'services'. Also, I think larger inns DO give this kind of service and it is expected. But, at a 'mom & pop' it is mom & pop who are giving the service. HOWEVER, when it IS mom & pop, the guest does NOT see this as going above and beyond but as your 'duty'. If you had an employee, they would think it was 'extra' service. Does that make sense?

I think over $200 most guests expect a lot of amenities, including access to 'services'. Also, I think larger inns DO give this kind of service and it is expected. But, at a 'mom & pop' it is mom & pop who are giving the service. HOWEVER, when it IS mom & pop, the guest does NOT see this as going above and beyond but as your 'duty'. If you had an employee, they would think it was 'extra' service. Does that make sense?.
That makes perfect sense to me! It's almost like since they see us doing everything, they expect us to do MORE!

I've had occasion to stay in many B&Bs over the past 5 years, most 3 rooms or less so I guess that's what you would term "Mom & Pop". They usually strike a pretty good balance between being accessible and leaving us alone.
As far as amenities and services go, we're low maintenance: good, nourishing breakfast served at a table; a different breakfast every day; queen bed, regular bath and/or shower. Good, large, thick towels. Don't need a tv, as long as they can tell me what to expect of the weather. Don't need evening turn down, but do want someone to make up the room in the morning. Don't need wine, chocolate dipped strawberries, etc. but do appreciate a natural soap and shampoo, and the owner having a stash for emergencies (i.e. toothbrush and the like).
Prices vary, but we'll spend more money for the following: space (a king instead of queen bed; a double-sized bath and/or shower; a private balcony or porch). Access to equipment (e.g. canoes, bicycles, BBQ). A picnic service. Shuttle service. And, as catlady mentioned above, the innkeeper's attitude encourages return visits!

I've had occasion to stay in many B&Bs over the past 5 years, most 3 rooms or less so I guess that's what you would term "Mom & Pop". They usually strike a pretty good balance between being accessible and leaving us alone.
As far as amenities and services go, we're low maintenance: good, nourishing breakfast served at a table; a different breakfast every day; queen bed, regular bath and/or shower. Good, large, thick towels. Don't need a tv, as long as they can tell me what to expect of the weather. Don't need evening turn down, but do want someone to make up the room in the morning. Don't need wine, chocolate dipped strawberries, etc. but do appreciate a natural soap and shampoo, and the owner having a stash for emergencies (i.e. toothbrush and the like).
Prices vary, but we'll spend more money for the following: space (a king instead of queen bed; a double-sized bath and/or shower; a private balcony or porch). Access to equipment (e.g. canoes, bicycles, BBQ). A picnic service. Shuttle service. And, as catlady mentioned above, the innkeeper's attitude encourages return visits!.
Welcome Denise!

Back