Serving Trays

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Red Handed Jill

Reaction score
Okay, so, when I was a child, my mother had these serving trays. Simple, very plain, but useful and quite large. Very flat, no handles sticking up on the ends. I would really like a couple of these - we don't serve breakfast in the rooms, but I do put treats/snacks in there, and I get tired of make umpteen trips upstairs. Also, sometimes I'd just like to make ONE trip to the dining room with coffee makings...you get the idea.
So naturally, I am seeking for the trays my mother had (who has been gone for over ten years, so who knows what my dad did with them!). And, I think those are a lost cause. The trays I've been looking at all have handles that stick up, and most are made of plastic, which I'm not thrilled about. My mom's were some kind of composite - not plastic, but not a very wood-y feel either. I'd settle for wood.
If you use trays, what are they like and are you satisfied with them? I'd like some real-life commentary before I buy another thing to take up space. Thanks.

I get trays like the ones your mom used at thrift stores and estate sales. Can never have too many of them, IMHO.
I find trays made of all kinds of composites, hammered stainless trays, wooden trays, silverplated trays, painted trays, and everything else to be useful for all kinds of things.
And the ones without handles are the best; easiest to stack and store in handy places so there's always one around when you need it.

I agree. You can find some great ones at yard sales, estate sales, antique shops, and sometimes thrift shops. I've also found nice, inexpensive trays at TJ Maxx, Marshalls, and Tuesday Morning.

Actually, you might find it easier to find full size sheet pans (most of the sheet cakes that you might get at a bakery are actually half size). The full size are 18 x 26". I found a couple used ones at the restaurant supply store in town, and these seem to have the characteristics you're looking for.

I got some at Kohls, others at Bed, Bath and Beyond and others at SteinMart. Just like you describe. But,,,this was several years ago.

LOL. My DH says you all have enabled my search for these trays. Well, it's good to know I'm not alone in my thinking. Will continue to troll my favorite thrift shop and keep an eye on estate sales. Thanks.

I found some nice wooden trays at World Market.
RIki.
I forgot about them....that's another GREAT place to find stuff like that. They have nice wine bottle coasters, ice buckets, etc. too! I love that place. I have to drive to the next State to go to a World Market. If you join their World Explorer mailing list you get great coupons and notices of sales, too.

LOL. My DH says you all have enabled my search for these trays. Well, it's good to know I'm not alone in my thinking. Will continue to troll my favorite thrift shop and keep an eye on estate sales. Thanks..
The fun is in the search!

Back