Shampoo vs Shampoo and Conditioner

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Innkeep

Reaction score
I just noticed one of my amenity suppliers (G&S) now has both 1 oz and 2 oz bottles of shampoo and conditioner in the same bottle. Without side tracking to say small bottles vs pumps, would you as a guest feel any different about using a combo "2 in 1" instead of having separate bottles for conditioner and shampoo? When the conditioner is used at all at my place, usually it's a much smaller amount. (That means that when I use the leftovers for myself I've still got lots of little bottles of conditioner left over!) I'd love to offer both in one bottle.

Personally I dislike the 2 in 1 combo, as I have fine hair, often times the conditioner is too heavy or my hair feels dirty once dry. With that said as a guest, and I had only the one choice of a 2 in 1 I would certainly use it, but might not be thrilled. Winter weather vs summer weather may (as it does for me) change a person's needs for conditioner. As does hair type.
You can't be all things to all people's hair but I would rather choose for myself rather than a cosmetic company deciding for me. However, it is only for a few days, not a lifetime.

I generally only use the shampoo. I bring my own conditioner in a small tube. Why not just offer the shampoo if you find you rarely get anyone using a lot of the conditioner?
BTW, if all you had was the 2-in-1, I would use it and it wouldn't make a bit of difference to me. If there is a shampoo and a conditioner I won't use the conditioner unless it smells really good.
(My hair is so short I could use a bar of soap and it wouldn't make any difference!) Maybe you should just discount my opinion altogether.

We offer the conditioning shampoo in the BeeKind paper bottle from G&S; have always offered conditioning shampoo in one form or another. I have gotten one question about a separate conditioner (from someone who apparently didn't read the label) in 10 years, nothing else - no mention in complaints on reviews or comment cards. I think it's fine to offer. If people are picky, they usually bring their own hair stuff.

I use a G&S shampoo/conditioner combo. Never a complaint. For my personal use, I use separates, but when traveling, I happily use the combo. Really, for a day or two, I don't think it matters and why not save $ by having a combo.

I use the dispensers and the conditioner is rarely used. I fill the shampoo twice + to having to refill the conditioner. And many people travel with their own stuff.

Well, we have "Conditioning Shampoo" is this what you mean?
You can still order conditioner or just this when you order. The issue I have withoffering both and Muirford can attest to this, many times the bottles LOOK the same and only have diff wording, so once you are in the shower, esp if you wear glasses and are without them you can't tell them apart. This may be ONE reason people don't use the conditioner, I have done it myself, washed my hair with the conditioner and realized afterward.
poke.gif

I am of the opinion that part of owning this B&B for me, are the fun little things like tiny bottles of shampoos, and dishware etc. When I go to B&B's I like these same things. I also like neat pens, walks on the beach and puppies named Randall. (Just kidding, wait maybe I do!)

You can still order conditioner or just this when you order. The issue I have withoffering both and Muirford can attest to this, many times the bottles LOOK the same and only have diff wording, so once you are in the shower, esp if you wear glasses and are without them you can't tell them apart. This may be ONE reason people don't use the conditioner, I have done it myself, washed my hair with the conditioner and realized afterward.
poke.gif

I am of the opinion that part of owning this B&B for me, are the fun little things like tiny bottles of shampoos, and dishware etc. When I go to B&B's I like these same things. I also like neat pens, walks on the beach and puppies named Randall. (Just kidding, wait maybe I do!).
Joey Bloggs said:
poke.gif
When I had the plastic bottles of conditioning shampoo and bath gel, I ordered them with different colors and styles of caps for that reason. Now I don't have bath gel, and the only thing that is the same packaging as the shampoo is the body lotion. I don't think that usually that goes into the shower. Although I am now thinking of going to the big dispensers for body lotion on the next go-round. It seems to me if you are going to use the lotion that's a pretty small amount in those little guys.

I've polled, occasionally, local people on this very issue for over a year. I've never found a single woman who likes shampoo and conditioner combined into one bottle. Most said something about their hair not "coming out right", whatever that means, and a couple mentioned that they can't use conditioner because they're allergic or something.
As you may see, I don't pay a lot of attention as to WHY they don't like the combo, as I don't pretend to understand women and their hair, but I can definitely tell they don't like it.

poke.gif

I am of the opinion that part of owning this B&B for me, are the fun little things like tiny bottles of shampoos, and dishware etc. When I go to B&B's I like these same things. I also like neat pens, walks on the beach and puppies named Randall. (Just kidding, wait maybe I do!).
I have used the conditioner as hand lotion. Ugh.

I've polled, occasionally, local people on this very issue for over a year. I've never found a single woman who likes shampoo and conditioner combined into one bottle. Most said something about their hair not "coming out right", whatever that means, and a couple mentioned that they can't use conditioner because they're allergic or something.
As you may see, I don't pay a lot of attention as to WHY they don't like the combo, as I don't pretend to understand women and their hair, but I can definitely tell they don't like it..
You live in a place where hair is a BIG deal. Around here, if you've got hair that's good enough. So, here's a secret for you...you need to provide a TABLE in your bathroom for all the product you are going to see if your guests are from anywhere within 500 miles of you.
Make sure your showers/tubs have deep shelves or lots of hanging shelves or you're going to have some mighty grumpy womenfolk.

Speaking of women, some of them, if you can believe it, when traveling, carry their own shampoo and other hair products, disdaining the free offerings provided by their place of lodging.
I'd make more fun of women and their obsession with hair, except I have to admit, it works for them. Women manage to stay younger-looking a lot longer than men, and I think what they do with their hair is a big part of that, and I applaud their success.

As you may see, I don't pay a lot of attention as to WHY they don't like the combo, as I don't pretend to understand women and their hair, but I can definitely tell they don't like it..
You live in a place where hair is a BIG deal. Around here, if you've got hair that's good enough. So, here's a secret for you...you need to provide a TABLE in your bathroom for all the product you are going to see if your guests are from anywhere within 500 miles of you.
Make sure your showers/tubs have deep shelves or lots of hanging shelves or you're going to have some mighty grumpy womenfolk.
Madeleine said:
You live in a place where hair is a BIG deal. Around here, if you've got hair that's good enough.
teeth_smile.gif

So listen I don't want to make a male vs female type statement, but let's just say IT IS THE MEN who use the conditioning shampoo and would never consider a separate "conditioner" - this is a blanket statement and applies to 80% of the men who stay with us. People who are concerned with their hair do not use our products at all. As you all have mentioned they pay big bucks (and on ocassion leave them behind and want them mailed back as they are professional hair products)
So who are you providing these bathroom amenities for? Consider that and then go for it.

Speaking of women, some of them, if you can believe it, when traveling, carry their own shampoo and other hair products, disdaining the free offerings provided by their place of lodging.
I'd make more fun of women and their obsession with hair, except I have to admit, it works for them. Women manage to stay younger-looking a lot longer than men, and I think what they do with their hair is a big part of that, and I applaud their success..
Arkansawyer said:
It's a certain contingent. Those who care about their hair. Never been a big deal for me, as anyone who has ever cut my hair can tell you. Wash, run a comb thru, go. It is what it is. I will admit to 'big hair' in the '80's. But I have destroyed all the photos, so maybe I'm telling the truth and maybe I ain't.

I'd make more fun of women and their obsession with hair, except I have to admit, it works for them. Women manage to stay younger-looking a lot longer than men, and I think what they do with their hair is a big part of that, and I applaud their success..
Arkansawyer said:
It's a certain contingent. Those who care about their hair. Never been a big deal for me, as anyone who has ever cut my hair can tell you. Wash, run a comb thru, go. It is what it is. I will admit to 'big hair' in the '80's. But I have destroyed all the photos, so maybe I'm telling the truth and maybe I ain't.
Madeleine said:
Who can we bribe for the photos and how much is it going to cost us. I'm sure your mother has some.... or dad... your other half? Someone has got documented proof!

Madeleine said:
You live in a place where hair is a BIG deal. Around here, if you've got hair that's good enough.
teeth_smile.gif

So listen I don't want to make a male vs female type statement, but let's just say IT IS THE MEN who use the conditioning shampoo and would never consider a separate "conditioner" - this is a blanket statement and applies to 80% of the men who stay with us. People who are concerned with their hair do not use our products at all. As you all have mentioned they pay big bucks (and on ocassion leave them behind and want them mailed back as they are professional hair products)
So who are you providing these bathroom amenities for? Consider that and then go for it.
Well, not all men, but as a generalization (and as we all know, all generalizations are false, even this one) combo products sell to men. Women want two seperate products.
But we have found that most ladies, bring their own.
But... we provide them seperately. Now labeling them is a different problem, because in France they use different terms for conditioner than we do.

Madeleine said:
teeth_smile.gif

Well, not all men, but as a generalization (and as we all know, all generalizations are false, even this one) combo products sell to men. Women want two seperate products.
But... we provide them seperately. Now labeling them is a different problem, because in France they use different terms for conditioner than we do.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
But all of our products here are English french for Canadian Sales.
In Calf English/Spanish.

Madeleine said:
teeth_smile.gif

Eric Arthur Blair said:
But all of our products here are English french for Canadian Sales.
In Calf English/Spanish.
North America
  • Shampoo/Shampooing
  • Conditioner/Revitalisant
Europe
  • Shampoo/Shampooing
  • Conditioner/Apres-Shampooing
Minor difference, but still confusing to some. Then again it's funnier when they have trouble with the meals, the word we use for lunch, they use for dinner. They are forever having lunch at dinner-time. The worst is the slang for child, the word they use there is our word for testicles. Nothing will get people to start spurting coffee out of their mouths like a sprinkler faster than someone from France calling after their children in the park. "Come here, testicles, come here." Or asking "Do you want to see a picture of my testicles?

Madeleine said:
teeth_smile.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
...IT IS THE MEN who use the conditioning shampoo and would never consider a separate "conditioner"
Yes, that's exactly what my informal poll shows. Men don't care. They'll use just shampoo, if that's all there is, or they'll use the combo product, if available, on the theory that it takes no more time than just shampooing, and it couldn't hurt.
But ask us to put in an extra step, like applying conditioner after shampooing, and we'll skip it. We don't even know what conditioner is (and don't care).

Back