shared bath etiquette

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 26

Reaction score
we have one guestroom with shared bath on our 2nd floor ... it is a 'shared bath' because it is in the hall next to the room and guests from the third floor who don't want to use the clawfoot tub and hand shower come down to shower in the second floor bathroom. sometimes, they decide to use what is up there.
a guest asked, can i leave my personal things in there during my stay? a woman asked this and i thought she meant soaps and hairbrush and was it okay to leave those in the bath. i told her other people would be going in the bathroom so it would be best to take them with her. also, since the shower is being shared, we CLEAN it each day.
i go in to fluff and find bras and panties and stockings rinsed and drying over the shower curtain rod. i suppose she rinsed them and forgot to take them with her. i don't want to handle them but i don't want them left there for mr. 3rd floor's turn in the shower. there are notices in that bathroom reminding guests to take personal items with them. so i decided to scoop them up and hang them on the towel rack in her room.
felt a little weird arranging her lingerie in her room but ....
couldn't really think of what else to do?
so i left a little note telling her that those items had been left in the shared bath and they had to be removed for cleaning.
do you ever have to remove guest underwear while you clean?

I think I probably would have ended up doing the same thing...
=/
Kk.

Oh my! Have never had that happen. I have a business card hanging on a string attached to the hook on the shared bath door that is the "occupied" sign. Guests flip the card over the door when it is in use. The bathroom has a deadbolt lock and I have the only key so no one can "interrupt" anyone. They would really have a problem here (hanging laundry) because I do not have towel racks in the guestrooms - there are hooks on the backs of the doors though.
I have 2 ladies who consider one of the shared bath guestrooms as "her" room. Each of them has lots of stuff but only leave it in the bathroom when they are the only ones in house.
You did the right thing in moving the items.

I would have done exactly the same thing as you did.
Haven't had to move lingerie or underwear yet but I can't figure out why guests will hang bathtowels on the shower rod when I have multiple towel racks & hooks in there. Maybe it's what they do at home?

We don't have shared baths, so we touch nothing of the guests. We clean around it. But in your case, I would have done just what you did..in fact I probably would have taken them into her room and left the note there. What part of shared doesn't she understand???

Haven't had to move lingerie or underwear yet but I can't figure out why guests will hang bathtowels on the shower rod when I have multiple towel racks & hooks in there. Maybe it's what they do at home?.
Samster said:
Haven't had to move lingerie or underwear yet but I can't figure out why guests will hang bathtowels on the shower rod when I have multiple towel racks & hooks in there. Maybe it's what they do at home?
I did that. Here's why...better air circulation to dry the towels. Up against the wall on a rack they stay damp. Ditto on a hook. Of course, if you close the shower curtain and hang the towel over that, then I have no reason why someone would do that!

Haven't had to move lingerie or underwear yet but I can't figure out why guests will hang bathtowels on the shower rod when I have multiple towel racks & hooks in there. Maybe it's what they do at home?.
Samster said:
I did that. Here's why...better air circulation to dry the towels. Up against the wall on a rack they stay damp. Ditto on a hook. Of course, if you close the shower curtain and hang the towel over that, then I have no reason why someone would do that!
Well, we replace wet towels because they DON'T dry here no matter what. I will remember to remind guests that their wet towels are replaced daily. Towels get shower rod metallic ick on them by doing that.

We don't have shared baths, so we touch nothing of the guests. We clean around it. But in your case, I would have done just what you did..in fact I probably would have taken them into her room and left the note there. What part of shared doesn't she understand???.
that's where i left them, in her room, on her towel rack, with the note.
i am thinking she just plain forgot.

If they know it's a shared bath when they book, you did the right thing.

Back