Shark steam mop

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agoodman

Reaction score
Been threatening to buy one for a while, finally caved in and used my 20% discount coupon at bedbathandbeyond, they had the deluxe model for 109.00 BEFORE the discount so it was $87 .... , I thought my floors were clean, AMAZING what this picked up off my hardwood floor, someone told me they are fantastic on tile grout so I will see on the bathrooms tomorrow.

I've tried the Shark but read reviews and went with Bissell. I love it and my three cleaning gals each love it! SO much easier than the old heave ho with a regular mop. We use 4 pads tho for a main hallway and our kitchen. The rest is wood and carpet. I do the wood with it too about once a month. I do my kitchen 3 X a week! It gets heavy use. I recommend buying extra pads.

I was ready to love the Shark based on the informercial but I borrowed a friend's and it didn't go anything for our laminate floors. It was also labor intensive to push, and the surface area of the pad is so small that it took forever to clean our large bathroom floors. I was so disappointed. Glad to hear you are having a better time with it.

I was ready to love the Shark based on the informercial but I borrowed a friend's and it didn't go anything for our laminate floors. It was also labor intensive to push, and the surface area of the pad is so small that it took forever to clean our large bathroom floors. I was so disappointed. Glad to hear you are having a better time with it..
Not sure which model you used I know the original one only had the smaller mop head but this one has 3 different sizes, the triangle shaped one is a little small but still the one I used in my kitchen the larger one is 6x 16 so a great size

I've tried the Shark but read reviews and went with Bissell. I love it and my three cleaning gals each love it! SO much easier than the old heave ho with a regular mop. We use 4 pads tho for a main hallway and our kitchen. The rest is wood and carpet. I do the wood with it too about once a month. I do my kitchen 3 X a week! It gets heavy use. I recommend buying extra pads..
Pollyanna said:
I've tried the Shark but read reviews and went with Bissell. I love it and my three cleaning gals each love it! SO much easier than the old heave ho with a regular mop. We use 4 pads tho for a main hallway and our kitchen. The rest is wood and carpet. I do the wood with it too about once a month. I do my kitchen 3 X a week! It gets heavy use. I recommend buying extra pads.
Are the pads on the Bissell reusable?
RIki

agoodman said:
Been threatening to buy one for a while, finally caved in and used my 20% discount coupon at bedbathandbeyond, they had the deluxe model for 109.00 BEFORE the discount so it was $87 .... , I thought my floors were clean, AMAZING what this picked up off my hardwood floor, someone told me they are fantastic on tile grout so I will see on the bathrooms tomorrow.
Does it use any pads? I would like to stop using the swiffer as I don't know if they break down or go into a landfill, and the pads are expensive. The shark might be cheaper in the long run.
RIki

I was ready to love the Shark based on the informercial but I borrowed a friend's and it didn't go anything for our laminate floors. It was also labor intensive to push, and the surface area of the pad is so small that it took forever to clean our large bathroom floors. I was so disappointed. Glad to hear you are having a better time with it..
Not sure which model you used I know the original one only had the smaller mop head but this one has 3 different sizes, the triangle shaped one is a little small but still the one I used in my kitchen the larger one is 6x 16 so a great size
Yes, this one had the 3 different sizes but they were all still too small for the size of the floors we were trying to clean.
We had been using wet Swiffers but they were leaving a terrible residue on the linoleum floors that was trapping more dirt. We are back to the old mop and bucket, that does the best job, with dry Swiffering in between on stay overs.

I've tried the Shark but read reviews and went with Bissell. I love it and my three cleaning gals each love it! SO much easier than the old heave ho with a regular mop. We use 4 pads tho for a main hallway and our kitchen. The rest is wood and carpet. I do the wood with it too about once a month. I do my kitchen 3 X a week! It gets heavy use. I recommend buying extra pads..
Pollyanna said:
That's good to know since the Bissell looks half the price - I see they have washable reusable pads too! I just have hardwood floors so it should work for me...
RIki
Riki

Pollyanna said:
That's good to know since the Bissell looks half the price - I see they have washable reusable pads too! I just have hardwood floors so it should work for me...
RIki
Riki
I thought there was a thread on here a while back about using makeup cloths as pads for these cleaners. Maybe I'm mistaken?
I go the Dollar Tree in town and they have 16 dry cloths for a buck. I have two puppies and hardwood floors, so the swiffer dry cloths are my best friends in between deep cleanings.

Pollyanna said:
RIki
Riki
I thought there was a thread on here a while back about using makeup cloths as pads for these cleaners. Maybe I'm mistaken?
I go the Dollar Tree in town and they have 16 dry cloths for a buck. I have two puppies and hardwood floors, so the swiffer dry cloths are my best friends in between deep cleanings.
Emily Spiers said:
Great advice! I use those to get under the king beds as my vaccum won't reach. I'll have to check it out! Thanks!
Riki

agoodman said:
Does it use any pads? I would like to stop using the swiffer as I don't know if they break down or go into a landfill, and the pads are expensive. The shark might be cheaper in the long run.
RIki.
It uses washable pads, it says no bleach wash and don't dry in machine but they seem like pretty hardy cotton, similar to the Libman green and white stripe ones which have lasted really well.
It came with 8 (or maybe 10?) pads, at least 2 for each of the 3 heads and then some that had more of a "looped" surace for heavier cleaning

agoodman said:
RIki.
egoodell said:
RIki
I use an old Swiffer dry mop handle with old face cloths. I dampen the face cloth and use a spray bottle with vinegar & water. Spritz and wipe, throw the face cloth in the wash. (I clip the face cloths so they don't accidently get back into circulation in the guest rooms.) If you find that vinegar doesn't work for you, there are spray products for hard wood floors or ceramic or whatever you have.
No throwing the Swiffer pads away each time. I found the pads dried out before I was done anyway. This works much better. Flip the cloth over and keep going.
Use the same method dry for just sweeping.

agoodman said:
RIki.
egoodell said:
RIki
I use an old Swiffer dry mop handle with old face cloths. I dampen the face cloth and use a spray bottle with vinegar & water. Spritz and wipe, throw the face cloth in the wash. (I clip the face cloths so they don't accidently get back into circulation in the guest rooms.) If you find that vinegar doesn't work for you, there are spray products for hard wood floors or ceramic or whatever you have.
No throwing the Swiffer pads away each time. I found the pads dried out before I was done anyway. This works much better. Flip the cloth over and keep going.
Vinegar - my new best cleaning friend!!! I have used it on my hardwood floors for the past 15 years, but I just discovered that vinegar and a Mr. Clean Magic eraser make the grout on my ceramic tile bathroom floors look brand new again! I am going to start taking Vinegar and my Magic Erasers to jobs with me and see what magic I can do for clients!

agoodman said:
RIki.
egoodell said:
RIki
Vinegar - my new best cleaning friend!!! I have used it on my hardwood floors for the past 15 years, but I just discovered that vinegar and a Mr. Clean Magic eraser make the grout on my ceramic tile bathroom floors look brand new again! I am going to start taking Vinegar and my Magic Erasers to jobs with me and see what magic I can do for clients!
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the Magic Erasers...they are a God-send for old countertops. I have not tried using with vinegar on the ceramic but I sure will now.

agoodman said:
RIki.
egoodell said:
RIki
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the Magic Erasers...they are a God-send for old countertops. I have not tried using with vinegar on the ceramic but I sure will now.
Oh I love the Magic Erasers too. They made my grout lines look like new. Didn't try with vinegar though. But...you have to be careful using on painted surfaces. It can dull out the paint badly.

agoodman said:
RIki.
egoodell said:
RIki
The first time we used the Magic Erasers on the grout lines on the bathroom floors, they worked great. This year? Nothing. Did not work at all. Very disappointed. Will try with a bit of vinegar.

agoodman said:
RIki.
egoodell said:
RIki
The first time we used the Magic Erasers on the grout lines on the bathroom floors, they worked great. This year? Nothing. Did not work at all. Very disappointed. Will try with a bit of vinegar.
Alibi, let us know if the vinegar made a difference...maybe your grout is too clean already!?

If grout is done properly it should be barely visible. when those dufuses put in thick wide grout, help us all! We have some like that here, shouldn't be this way, constantly cleaning crap from the grout (kitchen)

Back