Shark steam mop

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
agoodman said:
Been threatening to buy one for a while, finally caved in and used my 20% discount coupon at bedbathandbeyond, they had the deluxe model for 109.00 BEFORE the discount so it was $87 .... , I thought my floors were clean, AMAZING what this picked up off my hardwood floor, someone told me they are fantastic on tile grout so I will see on the bathrooms tomorrow.
Does it use any pads? I would like to stop using the swiffer as I don't know if they break down or go into a landfill, and the pads are expensive. The shark might be cheaper in the long run.
RIki.
egoodell said:
Does it use any pads? I would like to stop using the swiffer as I don't know if they break down or go into a landfill, and the pads are expensive. The shark might be cheaper in the long run.
RIki
I use an old Swiffer dry mop handle with old face cloths. I dampen the face cloth and use a spray bottle with vinegar & water. Spritz and wipe, throw the face cloth in the wash. (I clip the face cloths so they don't accidently get back into circulation in the guest rooms.) If you find that vinegar doesn't work for you, there are spray products for hard wood floors or ceramic or whatever you have.
No throwing the Swiffer pads away each time. I found the pads dried out before I was done anyway. This works much better. Flip the cloth over and keep going.
Use the same method dry for just sweeping.
Vinegar - my new best cleaning friend!!! I have used it on my hardwood floors for the past 15 years, but I just discovered that vinegar and a Mr. Clean Magic eraser make the grout on my ceramic tile bathroom floors look brand new again! I am going to start taking Vinegar and my Magic Erasers to jobs with me and see what magic I can do for clients!
The first time we used the Magic Erasers on the grout lines on the bathroom floors, they worked great. This year? Nothing. Did not work at all. Very disappointed. Will try with a bit of vinegar.
Alibi, let us know if the vinegar made a difference...maybe your grout is too clean already!?
suellen222 said:
Alibi, let us know if the vinegar made a difference...maybe your grout is too clean already!?
Looking at the floor I can see exactly where guests walk all the time and where they barely tread. Definitely not clean. However, my floors look much cleaner than the tiled bathroom shower walls where I went last week. Yuk. Luckily it was a huge shower so no need to ever touch the walls for any purpose.

If grout is done properly it should be barely visible. when those dufuses put in thick wide grout, help us all! We have some like that here, shouldn't be this way, constantly cleaning crap from the grout (kitchen).
Joey Bloggs said:
If grout is done properly it should be barely visible. when those dufuses put in thick wide grout, help us all! We have some like that here, shouldn't be this way, constantly cleaning crap from the grout (kitchen)
1/4 inch grout lines here. Stand out like a sore thumb when dirty. We have redone 2 bathrooms and removed the white floor tiles and put in dark tiles with dark grout. Glory be!

agoodman said:
Been threatening to buy one for a while, finally caved in and used my 20% discount coupon at bedbathandbeyond, they had the deluxe model for 109.00 BEFORE the discount so it was $87 .... , I thought my floors were clean, AMAZING what this picked up off my hardwood floor, someone told me they are fantastic on tile grout so I will see on the bathrooms tomorrow.
RIki.
egoodell said:
RIki
I use an old Swiffer dry mop handle with old face cloths. I dampen the face cloth and use a spray bottle with vinegar & water. Spritz and wipe, throw the face cloth in the wash. (I clip the face cloths so they don't accidently get back into circulation in the guest rooms.) If you find that vinegar doesn't work for you, there are spray products for hard wood floors or ceramic or whatever you have.
No throwing the Swiffer pads away each time. I found the pads dried out before I was done anyway. This works much better. Flip the cloth over and keep going.
Vinegar - my new best cleaning friend!!! I have used it on my hardwood floors for the past 15 years, but I just discovered that vinegar and a Mr. Clean Magic eraser make the grout on my ceramic tile bathroom floors look brand new again! I am going to start taking Vinegar and my Magic Erasers to jobs with me and see what magic I can do for clients!
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the Magic Erasers...they are a God-send for old countertops. I have not tried using with vinegar on the ceramic but I sure will now.
I've started using the magic eraser on the big whirlpool tubs. Holy cow, makes it easier! It really gets rid of the skumy stuff on the walls of the tub. I've seen an ad on tv that they have special magic erasers for this, but I'm just using the regular one.

agoodman said:
RIki.
egoodell said:
RIki
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the Magic Erasers...they are a God-send for old countertops. I have not tried using with vinegar on the ceramic but I sure will now.
I've started using the magic eraser on the big whirlpool tubs. Holy cow, makes it easier! It really gets rid of the skumy stuff on the walls of the tub. I've seen an ad on tv that they have special magic erasers for this, but I'm just using the regular one.
Magic erasers for the shower doors too - talk about scummy stuff!!!

agoodman said:
RIki.
egoodell said:
RIki
suellen222 said:
Now this is a place we don't have problems. We scrub the shower doors every single day because I have seen how hideous scummy doors can make a $300/night guest room look. We also wash the floors everyday but that doesn't seem to help. Possibly because the grout is absorbing moisture and the glass doors don't.

i have a friend who has to sell her house. very sad! the realtor advised replacing the kitchen tile floor ... no money for that!
anyway, after trying to clean the grout in her kitchen, she bought 2 grout pens ... a little under $10 each. cleaned the floor best she could first. had to shake a long while to get them started ... but ended up buying liquid grout colorant and using disposable foam tipped brushes, then cleaning off any that got on the tiles after it had set a while.
i went over to help and it might have taken a little less time without the wine
cheers.gif

but what a difference! looks like a new floor. we'll see how it holds up. but for now, open house time, it's looking good. and the grout is higher now, so maybe so much 'gunk' won't get between the tiles.

agoodman said:
RIki.
egoodell said:
RIki
suellen222 said:
Now this is a place we don't have problems. We scrub the shower doors every single day because I have seen how hideous scummy doors can make a $300/night guest room look. We also wash the floors everyday but that doesn't seem to help. Possibly because the grout is absorbing moisture and the glass doors don't.
Is it white grout? If so, try the Clorox pen. It gets it into those small places.

"Running B and Bs for Dummies" mentions vingear (acetic acid after all) can etch out and ruin the grout. I also note Magic Erazers do have some acids so could explain Alibi Ike's second round disappointment JJ

"Running B and Bs for Dummies" mentions vingear (acetic acid after all) can etch out and ruin the grout. I also note Magic Erazers do have some acids so could explain Alibi Ike's second round disappointment JJ.
I did wonder about the vinegar on the grout. Thanks for pointing that out. Maybe I should just research grout cleaning as a winter project. As long as the answer is not chipping it all out and starting over.

"Running B and Bs for Dummies" mentions vingear (acetic acid after all) can etch out and ruin the grout. I also note Magic Erazers do have some acids so could explain Alibi Ike's second round disappointment JJ.
I did wonder about the vinegar on the grout. Thanks for pointing that out. Maybe I should just research grout cleaning as a winter project. As long as the answer is not chipping it all out and starting over.
I'm watching a show now on HGTV and they just talked about a grout whitening pen you can buy at a hardware store!

i have a friend who has to sell her house. very sad! the realtor advised replacing the kitchen tile floor ... no money for that!
anyway, after trying to clean the grout in her kitchen, she bought 2 grout pens ... a little under $10 each. cleaned the floor best she could first. had to shake a long while to get them started ... but ended up buying liquid grout colorant and using disposable foam tipped brushes, then cleaning off any that got on the tiles after it had set a while.
i went over to help and it might have taken a little less time without the wine
cheers.gif

but what a difference! looks like a new floor. we'll see how it holds up. but for now, open house time, it's looking good. and the grout is higher now, so maybe so much 'gunk' won't get between the tiles..
One of the bathrooms has had a repair to the floor tile, tile looks good, but the grout they used is too white, should have been more sand colored. Would this cover everything to even out the color? I have heard of grout "paint" is this what this is? Does it need to be sealed over?
Also, I searched for cleaning grout, and one flooring forum recommends "oxygen bleach" not sure if this is oxyclean sort of stuff?

I'm watching a show now on HGTV and they just talked about a grout whitening pen you can buy at a hardware store!
Breakfast Diva said:
I worry about what those shows sometimes tell viewers to do. A lot of them are strictly getting something ready for sale and it's a travesty what they do to good, solid houses to sell them. 3 months down the line, when the new homeowner is trying to clean something, they find out it's been painted over or has the wrong cleaning product used on it.

Back