Sheet advice (for those of you who use sheets)

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If this is a double post, I apologize. My computer had a burp.
Anyways, for those who like micro fiber sheets the website http://www.1saleaday.com has Christopher Adams 1600 TC Egyptian Cotton sheet sets in full, queen, king or Calif. king for $19.99 plus a small shipping charge. There are quite a few colors to select from.
As the name of the website implies, this sale is only good today April 5, 2012.
Hope this helps anyone interested.
WARNING: This website may become addictive..
And have you tried them? You know the saying"if it sounds too good to be true..it probably is" Well that's what I think about this. I wouldn't waste my money.

Anyways, for those who like micro fiber sheets the website http://www.1saleaday.com has Christopher Adams 1600 TC Egyptian Cotton sheet sets in full, queen, king or Calif. king for $19.99 plus a small shipping charge. There are quite a few colors to select from.
And have you tried them? You know the saying"if it sounds too good to be true..it probably is" Well that's what I think about this. I wouldn't waste my money.
No, I have not personaly tried theses sheets but I have ordered many things off of this website and have been absoulutely amazed at the quality. Aslo, I have never had to pay sales tax.
They do have a return policy which is exceptional.
The deal sounds to good to be true because it only lasts 24 hrs. That's it.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
My favorite motto is "The biggest risk in life is never taking one". You have nothing to lose if you tried them.
What? You've never returned anything before. Well, I am impressed!

I guess you just cranked me out because I ordered 2 sets in white. I will let you know my honest opinion when I receive them. Shipping is normally very quick.
No offense but your screen name suits you. lol. GGRRrrr. Glad I'm out of reach. Ha Ha
I understand your reluctance about things being too good to be true.
Therefore I should tell you I purchased a automatic coffee pot made by Cuisinart (which I think is a good product, you may disagree) which normally retailed in my area between $130. to $150. I bought it for approx. $39.00.
Let you know when I get the sheets. Of course, then it will be to late.

No, I have not personaly tried theses sheets but I have ordered many things off of this website and have been absoulutely amazed at the quality. Aslo, I have never had to pay sales tax.
My favorite motto is "The biggest risk in life is never taking one". You have nothing to lose if you tried them.
PS- if you buy things online you still have to pay the sales tax when you file your monthly business tax forms with the state.

Colleen848 said:
My favorite motto is "The biggest risk in life is never taking one".
Another innspiring quote for innkeepers.

PS- if you buy things online you still have to pay the sales tax when you file your monthly business tax forms with the state.
I am not open yet as a B&B so I do not have a tax I.D. that NYS excepts me to be a tax collector for them.
I asked my accountant about this many years ago (about 30) if I should apply for one. She advised me not to bother. Since I was only renting apts. I was only advised to allocate expenses as to 100, 2/3, 1/3 etc percentage along with depreciation of Capital Improvements tools, maintenance, et .... blah blah. This is a "3 unit building". That's why I have her. I very much dislike that stuff. Give me something I can build with my hands and use my imagination, then I understand.
Then again I am a so called "wheeler-dealer" when it comes to bartering to purchase antiques and what not for the upcoming B&B. I have someone who I have purchased numerous items from that owns 2 local shops. He still is willing to participate in the dickering aspect, accepts my payments w/o state tax and delivers it to me even carrying it upstairs. What he does with his books is none of my business Guess he knows if I feel the price is right I will buy and I'm sure he likes the sales..
Ooops. Maybe I said to much. Loose lips sink ships.
But, it works for him and it works for me.
I have put off getting that tax exempt number for the fact that the state does not expect it from me and in my current situation, everything is written onto the long form tax return anyways.
NYS has tried and is still trying to pass that law regarding online sales but to date it has not been passed. Any business that has a physical presence in the state is obligated to collect sales tax. Not sure why Amazon does but then again I don't know if there any sites in this state. When I track packages the all seem to originate from Kentucky.
Once again, just my 2 cents.

I am not open yet as a B&B so I do not have a tax I.D. that NYS excepts me to be a tax collector for them.
I asked my accountant about this many years ago (about 30) if I should apply for one. She advised me not to bother. Since I was only renting apts. I was only advised to allocate expenses as to 100, 2/3, 1/3 etc percentage along with depreciation of Capital Improvements tools, maintenance, et .... blah blah. This is a "3 unit building". That's why I have her. I very much dislike that stuff. Give me something I can build with my hands and use my imagination, then I understand.
Then again I am a so called "wheeler-dealer" when it comes to bartering to purchase antiques and what not for the upcoming B&B. I have someone who I have purchased numerous items from that owns 2 local shops. He still is willing to participate in the dickering aspect, accepts my payments w/o state tax and delivers it to me even carrying it upstairs. What he does with his books is none of my business Guess he knows if I feel the price is right I will buy and I'm sure he likes the sales..
I have put off getting that tax exempt number for the fact that the state does not expect it from me and in my current situation, everything is written onto the long form tax return anyways.
NYS has tried and is still trying to pass that law regarding online sales but to date it has not been passed. Any business that has a physical presence in the state is obligated to collect sales tax. Not sure why Amazon does but then again I don't know if there any sites in this state. When I track packages the all seem to originate from Kentucky.
Colleen848 said:
Amazon collects the sales tax because NYS won that round. I really don't care if you pay your sales tax, collect lodging tax or not, just saying that it IS required, at least where I live. You are welcome to run your business legally or illegally, however you choose. Just offering advice so you stay ahead of the tax man. I'll shut up now, you seem to know whatever you need to from advice given 30 years ago.

Colleen848 said:
Amazon collects the sales tax because NYS won that round. I really don't care if you pay your sales tax, collect lodging tax or not, just saying that it IS required, at least where I live. You are welcome to run your business legally or illegally, however you choose. Just offering advice so you stay ahead of the tax man. I'll shut up now, you seem to know whatever you need to from advice given 30 years ago.
Believe me, I run nothing illegal. Most of the time I misplace receipts I could have claimed. Better for me as a buffer.
Apparently NYS did not win the entire round. If you purchase a certain amount you can volunteer to pay the tax.
I thought you lived in NYS too. They nickel and dime us to death. Actually we are past the nickel and dime and on up into the dollars now.
Obviously my information is NOT 30 years old as I file returns every year and have asked my accountant exstensive questions about starting up a B&B. I did so because I was advised by the attorneys that won my case for SSD that I couldn't. Don't know what they thought. I'd be making a million bucks a year! Just not ready to give up on life yet. Didn't ask to be on SSD. Good old GM made me apply, when I was turned down they required that I appeal. When it was granted it I paid them back in full. Felt like a 94 yr. old who had her car keys taken away from her.
I sense that many people here do not like "landlords". When you live onsite this is not an absentee business either.
No, I don't have to make their beds, nor prepare their breakfast but I do have to listen to every nit picky thing they come up with on a daily basis. No, they do not check in for a few days and then leave. Can't complain about the furnishings in my portion of the house. But I've heard, can you rake the grass where you mowed the yard. The kids are tracking it in the house. I provide them with a door mat and an entry way with hooks to hang their coats and take off their shoes. Oh, by the way, when you were mowing the grass with 20 mile wind gusts you got grass on my car!!! Excuse me. What God puts on God will take off.
Bartering has been around since civilization started. It's a take it or leave it situation.

Arkansawyer said:
Last weekend I stayed at a large (11 guestroom) B&B and couldn't believe it when I pulled back the bedspread that first night. The 100% cotton sheets looked like someone had been sleeping on them a week, although I pray they were fresh and clean. Wrinkles, folds, just horrible. Ugly.
I was just thinking about this again, and have decided the cotton is not the main part of the problem. The main problem is that their fitted sheet size doesn't match their mattress thickness. The sheets were made for a thicker mattress, leading to the "folds" I mentioned.
I think it's critical to do the math, know the depth of mattress you have, and make sure the sheets fit it tightly. If the fitted sheets are too big for the bed, they'll look bad even if you iron them.

Arkansawyer said:
Last weekend I stayed at a large (11 guestroom) B&B and couldn't believe it when I pulled back the bedspread that first night. The 100% cotton sheets looked like someone had been sleeping on them a week, although I pray they were fresh and clean. Wrinkles, folds, just horrible. Ugly.
I was just thinking about this again, and have decided the cotton is not the main part of the problem. The main problem is that their fitted sheet size doesn't match their mattress thickness. The sheets were made for a thicker mattress, leading to the "folds" I mentioned.
I think it's critical to do the math, know the depth of mattress you have, and make sure the sheets fit it tightly. If the fitted sheets are too big for the bed, they'll look bad even if you iron them..
The problem with sheets (and we do use them)- you buy sheets for an 'x' depth bed but all of your beds were made by different mfg'ers and they're all different depths. The sheets themselves are all slightly different. They shrink. They stretch.
I have a brand new set for my own really ancient (thus not too deep) mattress and they don't fit after washing them. I had to fold the mattress up to get the fitted sheet on.
Sheets will make you crazy.
If the sheets are too big for the mattress it's pretty simple to tug them tight and tuck the excess under the mattress. No alternative for too small.
My mattresses were mostly made by the same company. They are not the same size even tho I order the same mattress every time! Drives me spare when I get to the room with the slightly larger mattress and I have in hand the slightly smaller sheet set! And don't get me started on trying to get a quilt to fit!

Arkansawyer said:
I think it's critical to do the math, know the depth of mattress you have, and make sure the sheets fit it tightly. If the fitted sheets are too big for the bed, they'll look bad even if you iron them..
The problem with sheets (and we do use them)- you buy sheets for an 'x' depth bed but all of your beds were made by different mfg'ers and they're all different depths. The sheets themselves are all slightly different. They shrink. They stretch.
I have a brand new set for my own really ancient (thus not too deep) mattress and they don't fit after washing them. I had to fold the mattress up to get the fitted sheet on.
If the sheets are too big for the mattress it's pretty simple to tug them tight and tuck the excess under the mattress. No alternative for too small.
My mattresses were mostly made by the same company. They are not the same size even tho I order the same mattress every time! Drives me spare when I get to the room with the slightly larger mattress and I have in hand the slightly smaller sheet set! And don't get me started on trying to get a quilt to fit!
Madeleine said:
You're right there, though I'm not too sure the tucking will hold up through a night of tossing and turning. Comphy says their elastic is so good it will pull the fitted sheet tight even on a too-thin mattress. I can confirm that this is NOT so, and no amount of tucking has made my bottom sheet look as tight and smooth as I'd like. I'm going to have to get a thicker mattress to use the 18" Comphy sheets.
If the sheets are too big, my thought would be to look for a mattress topper of the right thickness to make things just right.
If the sheets are too small, yes, big problem. Must get bigger sheets, or abandon fitted sheets, or something.
I'm just convinced that it's really important to have things look perfect when that bed is turned down. The look of the folds and wrinkles of the bottom sheet at that B&B we recently visited still haunt me! Just not acceptable!

Arkansawyer said:
When sheets were made in the USA (I wish they still were) you bought sheets that had a fabric edge on the top and bottom that made the ends snap tightly. But when people wanted cheaper and cheaper sheets, the overseas manufacturers put elastic all around and since then, you have to tuck sheets in.
Sheets that are cotton generally don't have as much stretch as sheets with poly/cotton and therefore snap better. But unless they top was made to fit tight, you won't have a taut top. You need a sheet that is made exactly to the specs on the top and let's face it, specifications and "cheap" don't go together.
PS: The chemical treatment for wrinkle-free isn't perfect and it lasts about 50 washings. By then the material should have settled and be essentially no-iron, but the tautness on the bed is a major part of this. And remember that material will stretch in the middle where it isn't held by the corners, because the centre edges no longer pull.

Arkansawyer said:
:: burp ::
Chrome 18

Arkansawyer said:
Madeleine said:
You're right there, though I'm not too sure the tucking will hold up through a night of tossing and turning. Comphy says their elastic is so good it will pull the fitted sheet tight even on a too-thin mattress. I can confirm that this is NOT so, and no amount of tucking has made my bottom sheet look as tight and smooth as I'd like. I'm going to have to get a thicker mattress to use the 18" Comphy sheets.
If the sheets are too big, my thought would be to look for a mattress topper of the right thickness to make things just right.
If the sheets are too small, yes, big problem. Must get bigger sheets, or abandon fitted sheets, or something.
I'm just convinced that it's really important to have things look perfect when that bed is turned down. The look of the folds and wrinkles of the bottom sheet at that B&B we recently visited still haunt me! Just not acceptable!
Arkansawyer said:
The name of the game is BED and Breakfast to do either with less than a best effort (we can't be perfect) would be futile. The bed imvho must be as inviting as the breakfast is appetizing.
One thing I have found that does help with a thinner mattress are the elastic sheet keepers, the ones that clip on the edge of the sheets and go diagonally across the corner under the mattress. I hate sloppy bottom sheets.

Arkansawyer said:
Madeleine said:
Look at it this way- as long as the sheets look good getting into the bed you're all set. The messier the bed in the morning, well, the more fun had the night before in my opinion! No one cares what the bed looks like in the morning. But that initial impression is important.

Twice I hired help at this B&B. First gal put the sheets on sideways and destroyed the elastic. Second gal put king sheets on a queen bed. Yeah talk about ruffled oversized sheets!

Twice I hired help at this B&B. First gal put the sheets on sideways and destroyed the elastic. Second gal put king sheets on a queen bed. Yeah talk about ruffled oversized sheets!.
Joey Bloggs said:
Twice I hired help at this B&B. First gal put the sheets on sideways and destroyed the elastic. Second gal put king sheets on a queen bed. Yeah talk about ruffled oversized sheets!
I had a helper girl last summer that I showed at least eight times how to make a bed...she never could get the hang of it. My other girl got it, but didn't like doing it at all. I didn't realize it was so complicated!!
=)
Kk.

Twice I hired help at this B&B. First gal put the sheets on sideways and destroyed the elastic. Second gal put king sheets on a queen bed. Yeah talk about ruffled oversized sheets!.
Joey Bloggs said:
I had a helper girl last summer that I showed at least eight times how to make a bed...she never could get the hang of it. My other girl got it, but didn't like doing it at all. I didn't realize it was so complicated!!
=)
Kk.
In the UK its worce as they at home have a duvet ie just put the cover on it and a fitted sheet. No presentation or effort required especially with a no iron sheet and duvet cover which most have or don't bother ironing. They have no idea what to do with a flat sheet.

Sheet advice (for those of you who use sheets)[/h1]
ahem..... what else would we be using? Sleeping bags are a bit ugly on the mattresses - difficult to wash also..
haha ... i thought that too. what else but sheets on the bed?
my own sheets right now are the wrong size. too big i guess. i must have bought the deep fitted ones by mistake and i wake and they are off the mattress.
sad_smile.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
Joey Bloggs said:
=)
Kk.
My guess? It was her way of telling you she didn't want to make a bed!

Back