Sheet advice (for those of you who use sheets)

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Twice I hired help at this B&B. First gal put the sheets on sideways and destroyed the elastic. Second gal put king sheets on a queen bed. Yeah talk about ruffled oversized sheets!.
Joey Bloggs said:
Twice I hired help at this B&B. First gal put the sheets on sideways and destroyed the elastic. Second gal put king sheets on a queen bed. Yeah talk about ruffled oversized sheets!
I had a helper girl last summer that I showed at least eight times how to make a bed...she never could get the hang of it. My other girl got it, but didn't like doing it at all. I didn't realize it was so complicated!!
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Twice I hired help at this B&B. First gal put the sheets on sideways and destroyed the elastic. Second gal put king sheets on a queen bed. Yeah talk about ruffled oversized sheets!
I had a helper girl last summer that I showed at least eight times how to make a bed...she never could get the hang of it. My other girl got it, but didn't like doing it at all. I didn't realize it was so complicated!!
=)
Kk.
My guess? It was her way of telling you she didn't want to make a bed!
Madeleine said:
Bet she doesn't do windows, either.

Twice I hired help at this B&B. First gal put the sheets on sideways and destroyed the elastic. Second gal put king sheets on a queen bed. Yeah talk about ruffled oversized sheets!.
Joey Bloggs said:
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
Joey Bloggs said:
=)
Kk.
Madeleine said:
Arkansawyer said:
Madeleine said:
I think she was clinically depressed. Things just didn't stick. I told her to clean a room and went up and found her cleaning the wrong one. She couldn't even tell it was already done. On the other hand, she cleaned my gutters and did a great job with my lawn, which was definitely her favorite job.
The other girl, the one who got it but didn't like them much, cleaned every window in the house. She didn't like doing them, but she did them all.
They were training through the Workforce Investment Act Program... I was just happy to have any help at all.
=)
Kk.

Joey Bloggs said:
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
Joey Bloggs said:
=)
Kk.
Madeleine said:
Arkansawyer said:
Madeleine said:
I think she was clinically depressed. Things just didn't stick. I told her to clean a room and went up and found her cleaning the wrong one. She couldn't even tell it was already done. On the other hand, she cleaned my gutters and did a great job with my lawn, which was definitely her favorite job.
The other girl, the one who got it but didn't like them much, cleaned every window in the house. She didn't like doing them, but she did them all.
They were training through the Workforce Investment Act Program... I was just happy to have any help at all.
=)
Kk.
Ah, she needed to be outside then. I used to have a housekeeper who was always trying to get outside to weed or water the plants.

If this is a double post, I apologize. My computer had a burp.
Anyways, for those who like micro fiber sheets the website http://www.1saleaday.com has Christopher Adams 1600 TC Egyptian Cotton sheet sets in full, queen, king or Calif. king for $19.99 plus a small shipping charge. There are quite a few colors to select from.
As the name of the website implies, this sale is only good today April 5, 2012.
Hope this helps anyone interested.
WARNING: This website may become addictive..
Colleen848 said:
Anyways, for those who like micro fiber sheets the website http://www.1saleaday.com has Christopher Adams 1600 TC Egyptian Cotton sheet sets in full, queen, king or Calif. king for $19.99 plus a small shipping charge. There are quite a few colors to select from.
WARNING: This website may become addictive.
I did not look at 1600 TC Egyptian cotton sheets as being microfiber. I ordered a set to see what I would get. They are labeled 100% microfiber but the label on the front of the package says 1700 TC cotton. $20 was OK for microfiber. They are a bit wrinkled - but I did not get them out of the dryer the second it stopped (rain predicted so did not hang them on the line).
So far, the web site has not shown me anything that interests me - but I do look.

Colleen848 said:
I did not look at 1600 TC Egyptian cotton sheets as being microfiber. I ordered a set to see what I would get. They are labeled 100% microfiber but the label on the front of the package says 1700 TC cotton. $20 was OK for microfiber. They are a bit wrinkled - but I did not get them out of the dryer the second it stopped (rain predicted so did not hang them on the line).
So far, the web site has not shown me anything that interests me - but I do look.
You may want to check these websites:
http://www.midnightbox.com (Not the greatest IMO)
http://www.justdeals.com (Can vary from kitchenwares to tools. I bought a Rockwell Thickness Planer from them for $100. less than Amazon. Shipping was minimal, I think $5.)
http://www.bradsdeals.com (they have a lot of magazine subscriptions for $5. a year with no shipping, pillows, glassware, etc.)
http://www.bensoutlet.com (Just a variety of stuff. Purchased 2 articulating wall mounts for flat panel tvs that not only move out but angle for $39.99 a pc.)
Then there is http://www.woot.com (Sometimes you'll notice Amazon running specials from "their friends" at woot).
I have a lot more that I check frequently. Amazon also runs lightning deals running during the day. It changes everyday.
I live on a very fixed income and so I watch the deals closely.
Have fun.

Colleen848 said:
You may want to check these websites:
http://www.midnightbox.com (Not the greatest IMO)
http://www.justdeals.com (Can vary from kitchenwares to tools. I bought a Rockwell Thickness Planer from them for $100. less than Amazon. Shipping was minimal, I think $5.)
http://www.bradsdeals.com (they have a lot of magazine subscriptions for $5. a year with no shipping, pillows, glassware, etc.)
http://www.bensoutlet.com (Just a variety of stuff. Purchased 2 articulating wall mounts for flat panel tvs that not only move out but angle for $39.99 a pc.)
Then there is http://www.woot.com (Sometimes you'll notice Amazon running specials from "their friends" at woot).
I have a lot more that I check frequently. Amazon also runs lightning deals running during the day. It changes everyday.
I live on a very fixed income and so I watch the deals closely.
Have fun.
Thanks, but no thanks. I am not a shopper and do not spend unless I absolutely must. I checked out the sheets because I recently bought a second queen and if I did not like them it would be no loss since I could use them myself.

Arkansawyer said:
Last weekend I stayed at a large (11 guestroom) B&B and couldn't believe it when I pulled back the bedspread that first night. The 100% cotton sheets looked like someone had been sleeping on them a week, although I pray they were fresh and clean. Wrinkles, folds, just horrible. Ugly.
I was just thinking about this again, and have decided the cotton is not the main part of the problem. The main problem is that their fitted sheet size doesn't match their mattress thickness. The sheets were made for a thicker mattress, leading to the "folds" I mentioned.
I think it's critical to do the math, know the depth of mattress you have, and make sure the sheets fit it tightly. If the fitted sheets are too big for the bed, they'll look bad even if you iron them..
The problem with sheets (and we do use them)- you buy sheets for an 'x' depth bed but all of your beds were made by different mfg'ers and they're all different depths. The sheets themselves are all slightly different. They shrink. They stretch.
I have a brand new set for my own really ancient (thus not too deep) mattress and they don't fit after washing them. I had to fold the mattress up to get the fitted sheet on.
Sheets will make you crazy.
If the sheets are too big for the mattress it's pretty simple to tug them tight and tuck the excess under the mattress. No alternative for too small.
My mattresses were mostly made by the same company. They are not the same size even tho I order the same mattress every time! Drives me spare when I get to the room with the slightly larger mattress and I have in hand the slightly smaller sheet set! And don't get me started on trying to get a quilt to fit!
Madeleine said:
Spoken a like a pro ;)

And have you tried them? You know the saying"if it sounds too good to be true..it probably is" Well that's what I think about this. I wouldn't waste my money.
No, I have not personaly tried theses sheets but I have ordered many things off of this website and have been absoulutely amazed at the quality. Aslo, I have never had to pay sales tax.
They do have a return policy which is exceptional.
The deal sounds to good to be true because it only lasts 24 hrs. That's it.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
My favorite motto is "The biggest risk in life is never taking one". You have nothing to lose if you tried them.
What? You've never returned anything before. Well, I am impressed!
As far as I can tell, there is a NO RETURN policy for this site, unless there is a defect. So I guess you could say that the return policy is exceptional...but not my idea of a place I would ever shop.
Please correct me if I am mistaken....have you ever returned anything that you have bought at onesaleaday.com?

This is why I iron. Not one person will ever comment on the nicely pressed sheets, but if I don't every one of them will think exactly as you did, and likely never say a word!

This is why I iron. Not one person will ever comment on the nicely pressed sheets, but if I don't every one of them will think exactly as you did, and likely never say a word!.
Anon Inn said:
This is why I iron. Not one person will ever comment on the nicely pressed sheets, but if I don't every one of them will think exactly as you did, and likely never say a word!
Good point. Just because nobody comments on the ironing doesn't mean it's not doing you a lot of good.
We do a lot of things nobody ever comments on, but they'd sure comment, negatively, if we DIDNT do them!

Arkansawyer said:
Last weekend I stayed at a large (11 guestroom) B&B and couldn't believe it when I pulled back the bedspread that first night. The 100% cotton sheets looked like someone had been sleeping on them a week, although I pray they were fresh and clean. Wrinkles, folds, just horrible. Ugly.
I was just thinking about this again, and have decided the cotton is not the main part of the problem. The main problem is that their fitted sheet size doesn't match their mattress thickness. The sheets were made for a thicker mattress, leading to the "folds" I mentioned.
I think it's critical to do the math, know the depth of mattress you have, and make sure the sheets fit it tightly. If the fitted sheets are too big for the bed, they'll look bad even if you iron them..
The problem with sheets (and we do use them)- you buy sheets for an 'x' depth bed but all of your beds were made by different mfg'ers and they're all different depths. The sheets themselves are all slightly different. They shrink. They stretch.
I have a brand new set for my own really ancient (thus not too deep) mattress and they don't fit after washing them. I had to fold the mattress up to get the fitted sheet on.
If the sheets are too big for the mattress it's pretty simple to tug them tight and tuck the excess under the mattress. No alternative for too small.
My mattresses were mostly made by the same company. They are not the same size even tho I order the same mattress every time! Drives me spare when I get to the room with the slightly larger mattress and I have in hand the slightly smaller sheet set! And don't get me started on trying to get a quilt to fit!
Madeleine said:
You're right there, though I'm not too sure the tucking will hold up through a night of tossing and turning. Comphy says their elastic is so good it will pull the fitted sheet tight even on a too-thin mattress. I can confirm that this is NOT so, and no amount of tucking has made my bottom sheet look as tight and smooth as I'd like. I'm going to have to get a thicker mattress to use the 18" Comphy sheets.
If the sheets are too big, my thought would be to look for a mattress topper of the right thickness to make things just right.
If the sheets are too small, yes, big problem. Must get bigger sheets, or abandon fitted sheets, or something.
I'm just convinced that it's really important to have things look perfect when that bed is turned down. The look of the folds and wrinkles of the bottom sheet at that B&B we recently visited still haunt me! Just not acceptable!
Arkansawyer said:
I'm just convinced that it's really important to have things look perfect when that bed is turned down. The look of the folds and wrinkles of the bottom sheet at that B&B we recently visited still haunt me! Just not acceptable!
The name of the game is BED and Breakfast to do either with less than a best effort (we can't be perfect) would be futile. The bed imvho must be as inviting as the breakfast is appetizing.
One thing I have found that does help with a thinner mattress are the elastic sheet keepers, the ones that clip on the edge of the sheets and go diagonally across the corner under the mattress. I hate sloppy bottom sheets.
Sheet clips can help. They have a groove where you slide the sheet side over the piping on the mattress. It holds the sheet sides tight but is difficult to use over mattress covers!
thumb_sheet%20clips.jpg

Arkansawyer said:
Madeleine said:
You're right there, though I'm not too sure the tucking will hold up through a night of tossing and turning. Comphy says their elastic is so good it will pull the fitted sheet tight even on a too-thin mattress. I can confirm that this is NOT so, and no amount of tucking has made my bottom sheet look as tight and smooth as I'd like. I'm going to have to get a thicker mattress to use the 18" Comphy sheets.
If the sheets are too big, my thought would be to look for a mattress topper of the right thickness to make things just right.
If the sheets are too small, yes, big problem. Must get bigger sheets, or abandon fitted sheets, or something.
Arkansawyer said:
The name of the game is BED and Breakfast to do either with less than a best effort (we can't be perfect) would be futile. The bed imvho must be as inviting as the breakfast is appetizing.
One thing I have found that does help with a thinner mattress are the elastic sheet keepers, the ones that clip on the edge of the sheets and go diagonally across the corner under the mattress. I hate sloppy bottom sheets.
Sheet clips can help. They have a groove where you slide the sheet side over the piping on the mattress. It holds the sheet sides tight but is difficult to use over mattress covers!
thumb_sheet%20clips.jpg

I had a mattress cover that did not want to stay on a particular mattress. I got the elastic pieces with a clip on each end (like the old garter belt clips - cannot think of a better description, sorry you young whippersnappers will not know what I am talking about). The cover was so think it was hard to get them on it, but they kept it on the mattress by forming a triangle at the corners. That would work for "fitted" sheets too.

Arkansawyer said:
Madeleine said:
Arkansawyer said:
thumb_sheet%20clips.jpg

Anon Inn said:
thumb_sheet%20clips.jpg
I will tell ya right now, when we bought this place the po's used those, I believe because the sheets were old and stretched out (no elastic left) and what they DID DO is tear the sheets. I think they are just awful. (Sorry but I do!)

Arkansawyer said:
Madeleine said:
Arkansawyer said:
thumb_sheet%20clips.jpg

I had a mattress cover that did not want to stay on a particular mattress. I got the elastic pieces with a clip on each end (like the old garter belt clips - cannot think of a better description, sorry you young whippersnappers will not know what I am talking about). The cover was so think it was hard to get them on it, but they kept it on the mattress by forming a triangle at the corners. That would work for "fitted" sheets too.
gillumhouse said:
I had those here too, like a short garter belt. But they TORE the mattress protector. These are things I had to learn the hard way. Much better to just get the dang sheets that fit the bed! SO MUCH STUFFING AROUND WITH THOSE!!

Arkansawyer said:
Madeleine said:
Arkansawyer said:
thumb_sheet%20clips.jpg

gillumhouse said:
I had those here too, like a short garter belt. But they TORE the mattress protector. These are things I had to learn the hard way. Much better to just get the dang sheets that fit the bed! SO MUCH STUFFING AROUND WITH THOSE!!
I hated them too. Got rid of that mattress cover.

Back