Sheet advice (for those of you who use sheets)

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arks

Reaction score
I want to comment on my recent (last few months) experience with sheets.
Last weekend I stayed at a large (11 guestroom) B&B and couldn't believe it when I pulled back the bedspread that first night. The 100% cotton sheets looked like someone had been sleeping on them a week, although I pray they were fresh and clean. Wrinkles, folds, just horrible. Ugly.
On the contrary, I've been sleeping for 3 months now on synthetic microfiber sheets and can attest that, after washing and no ironing, I have never seen even a hint of a wrinkle. Smooth as a baby's bottom. And the feel, as you slide your neked leg around on these things, is pure luxury. I have seen no negatives regarding these sheets. They are not hot. I have found no hairs embedded in them. They are, in my opinion, the sheets God intended us to use.
If you iron your cotton sheets, God bless you and keep it up as long as you can hold out. But if you don't want to iron, GO MICROFIBER TWILL!!

You've been staying at the other B&B to long with all the "God intended us to use and God bless you".
Guess it rubbed off (no pun intended). lol

You've been staying at the other B&B to long with all the "God intended us to use and God bless you".
Guess it rubbed off (no pun intended). lol.
Colleen848 said:
You are correct!

Told DH today as I hung up the microfiber sheets that I am going to get a set for us to try out and then will be getting more. They dried SO quickly!! There is a bit of wrinkles, but not as much as I get with the cotton (I guess I cannot fold nicely). It they are REAL wrinkled, I do have an iron upstairs and have used it with the sheets on the bed.

Would not be happy if I got into a bed and the sheets were crinkled like you say I would be worried about a previous occupant! this is why if I get ones that are too creased from our laundry service I send them back as rejects as I would not be happy as a guest! they don't charge me for rejects so its not worth the gorrila!

Except the static. That is an issue, but I tell guests there will be sparks. :)

I have both cotton (pressed either by mangle or the laundry) and the microfiber. I personally don't like the microfibers and my DH hates sleeping in them but they do perform well right out of the dryer - I just press the pillowcases. Things really do stick to them, though - I always find hair and lint clinging to them. The trick for dealing with that is to make the beds with a lint roller, apparently. It is the main reason I don't switch to them completely - guests do love them.

I personally preferred pressed cotton. That to me is LUXURY. But as we get busier, we are having to include the comphy sheets. I will warn you that they take forever to deliver. We purchased at the MidAtlantic Conference and are still waiting for just a partial order. I'm not sure when we will finally receive the rest of it either. They don't tell you that when you order.
And yes they can be hot and everything sticks to them. But they have changed slightly since we first saw them. When I first saw them they looked like a poly shirt from the 70s. But we just slept on them in New Orleans and they are different now.
I was told they had not changed and that I was nuts - but I recently found out they did change factories and are different. Now they look more silky and not like the old poly material of the 70s.
Riki

To each his own. I have non-pillow top mattresses and find that there is almost too much excess fabric on the fitted sheets from com phy. When I opened the B&B I bought 3 sheet sets that had fitted sheets entirely too snug, so I bought just fitted sheets to replace the too snug ones. I don't like having to remove all the extra hair and lint and having to tuck in the sheets all around. However, this does seem to decrease static for the guests.
On the PAII forum there is a thread that suggests there may also be some quality issues with their new manufacturer, but that the company has been good to replace any sheets that have had excessive pilling.

I'm the low person in the pecking order at our B&B & not the regular day-to-day worker (mainly the marketing person)... but I get so aggitated when I see wrinkled sheets going on the beds. I cannot seem to get into everyone's brain how important presentation is. They figure the bed is clean, who cares if its wrinkled. I've gone behind them & ironed pillowcases to rolled eyes... I wish they would "get it"

I personally preferred pressed cotton. That to me is LUXURY. But as we get busier, we are having to include the comphy sheets. I will warn you that they take forever to deliver. We purchased at the MidAtlantic Conference and are still waiting for just a partial order. I'm not sure when we will finally receive the rest of it either. They don't tell you that when you order.
And yes they can be hot and everything sticks to them. But they have changed slightly since we first saw them. When I first saw them they looked like a poly shirt from the 70s. But we just slept on them in New Orleans and they are different now.
I was told they had not changed and that I was nuts - but I recently found out they did change factories and are different. Now they look more silky and not like the old poly material of the 70s.
Riki.
egoodell said:
I will warn you that they take forever to deliver. We purchased at the MidAtlantic Conference and are still waiting for just a partial order.
I ordered mine at the Little Rock meeting and they came 10 days later.
But I wrote them yesterday complaining that their website has, for months now, shown [X] where there is supposed to be a photo of sheets on their B&B sales page. I heard back today that they've let the web page "go" because they're about to launch a completely new web design.
I think fixing that photo would be a 2-minute job for their web master, and "letting the web page go" for months like that is not excusable. Unfortunately, they didn't ask for my opinion!
omg_smile.gif

To each his own. I have non-pillow top mattresses and find that there is almost too much excess fabric on the fitted sheets from com phy. When I opened the B&B I bought 3 sheet sets that had fitted sheets entirely too snug, so I bought just fitted sheets to replace the too snug ones. I don't like having to remove all the extra hair and lint and having to tuck in the sheets all around. However, this does seem to decrease static for the guests.
On the PAII forum there is a thread that suggests there may also be some quality issues with their new manufacturer, but that the company has been good to replace any sheets that have had excessive pilling..
Innkeep said:
I have non-pillow top mattresses and find that there is almost too much excess fabric on the fitted sheets from com phy.
Yes, their sheets are designed for an 18 inch mattress, so it's important to do the mattress + topper (if any) math and get it to come out to approx. 18 inches.

On the PAII forum there is a thread that suggests there may also be some quality issues with their new manufacturer, but that the company has been good to replace any sheets that have had excessive pilling..
Innkeep said:
I have non-pillow top mattresses and find that there is almost too much excess fabric on the fitted sheets from com phy.
Yes, their sheets are designed for an 18 inch mattress, so it's important to do the mattress + topper (if any) math and get it to come out to approx. 18 inches.
Really... Instead of "improving" my mattresses, which are fine the way they are, my solution is to find another vendor for sheets!

Innkeep said:
Really... Instead of "improving" my mattresses, which are fine the way they are, my solution is to find another vendor for sheets!
Innkeep said:
Certainly an option. My whole point is no-iron sheets that look better than un-ironed cotton. If you can get that with another vendor, great!

Sheet advice (for those of you who use sheets)[/h1]
ahem..... what else would we be using? Sleeping bags are a bit ugly on the mattresses - difficult to wash also.

ahem..... what else would we be using? Sleeping bags are a bit ugly on the mattresses - difficult to wash also..
gillumhouse said:
ahem..... what else would we be using?
As a good girl, you would not know this, K, but some of us are sipping...ahem...whisky as we write this stuff late at night :)
Witness my topic title that had to be changed because what seemed hilarious last night seemed offensive this morning!

ahem..... what else would we be using? Sleeping bags are a bit ugly on the mattresses - difficult to wash also..
gillumhouse said:
As a good girl, you would not know this, K, but some of us are sipping...ahem...whisky as we write this stuff late at night :)
Witness my topic title that had to be changed because what seemed hilarious last night seemed offensive this morning!
I just had to tweek you - that is for not sharing the good stuff! You should have titled the other one Thumper!

Concerning the title of this thread, i.e. "for those who use sheets".....for those who don't eeeew!
barf.gif

gillumhouse said:
Arkansawyer said:
gillumhouse said:
A legend in your own mind Arks. There are a few who imbibe while on the forum in the evenings and confuse the heck out of us, and I am sure it was clear as can be when they typed it.
shades_smile.gif
There better not be a hole cut in the floor beneath your desk, that is all I am sayin'...

If this is a double post, I apologize. My computer had a burp.
Anyways, for those who like micro fiber sheets the website http://www.1saleaday.com has Christopher Adams 1600 TC Egyptian Cotton sheet sets in full, queen, king or Calif. king for $19.99 plus a small shipping charge. There are quite a few colors to select from.
As the name of the website implies, this sale is only good today April 5, 2012.
Hope this helps anyone interested.
WARNING: This website may become addictive.

Back