Sheets & Towels Color vs White

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

innovermyhead

Reaction score
We have purchased a property and really need to replace towels and sheets. We're not really a B&B but a small property that may have some of the same issues. White is what you see in every hotel. I assume because you can bleach them clean. Let me say up front that I'm no laundry queen - I've never used bleach much before. I did buy a few "test" towels and had one washcloth come back very dirty. I did wash with bleach and while it was much improved it is still not back to original condition. The PO said if I get white I'll be replacing them like crazy. On the other hand she has a real mish-mash of stuff that I don't care for and unless you use a dark color which will look faded or washed out I'll still have a hard time with things getting stained -won't I?
So, after all that do you all use white? Are you glad you do or wish you didn't? I hate to buy the wrong thing... Any input appreciated!

Our linens are white and we don't use bleach. (Bad for the septic.) Try a half of cup of white vinegar in every wash. It keeps the towels and sheets white and removes any odor as well.

White towels and sheets-oxyclean and bleach-ONLY WHEN NEEDED to much bleach wears out the material.

I also use white for sheets and towels. I have not had discoloration problems by using vinegar in place of fabric softener. I scrub any stains I find with whatever it takes before putting in the machine. The advantages I find are that I have no compunction about using mis-mates for sheet sets. I use 4 pillows per bed, and only need 2 pairs of matching pillow cases. I think over time you may have problems finding matches for a specific color if you lose a sheet to staining or wear.

I went with a cream color instead of white. I find white gets very dingy very quickly. (Also not a laundry queen!)
We had all color towels when we bought. Different colors for different rooms. I couldn't keep up with the laundry! Pink rooms had no pink towels on certain days, then the blue rooms ended up with the pink towels because that's all that was clean.
All one color (cream) and all the same style. No mix 'n' match. I buy them in bulk every 3-4 YEARS. Just got my second bulk purchase last summer. I have backups in the attic for replacements. Yes, they will look 'new' when rolled in with the older ones, but it's just one of those things.
You will find that any color towel has issues. The dark towels tend to get 'bleach' spots form guest chemicals. (What DO they put on themselves?!) The whites tend to get dingy and they get 'dark' from too much mascara being wiped off on them.
You just have to keep an eye on things and toss the dirty stuff if it doesn't come clean.
ALtho I don't buy my inn towels at Penney's I find that my own towels have held up very well when I've bought them there.
Oops, didn't mention sheets- tone on tone cream-colored sheets as well. Still going strong after 4 years. Wish they still sold them, I need some replacements!

We use off white. I can't like colored sheets. I don't know how to get stains out of them without messing up the color. I like the spa like look of white and off white. And I can mix them all without having to keep track of sets.
RIki

Thank you for the input so far! I found a good deal on white and would like to do it - of course I feel like we're spending money like there is no tomorrow and would hate to make the wrong choice!

Innover I am no laundry queen either but last year went with white and they are working out great, much less laundry sorting, I throw them in with the sheets but dry them separatel, throw in some bleach into the dispenser on some but not every load
I used to have themed and colored but no more and it is much better. WHEN I get round to doing guest directories it will ask guests to request dark towels for messes and spills (and hair coloring etc ..the unmentionables)
I got them from Atlanta Textile good quality and prices, reasonable shipping

We have all white towels. We wash with bleach and oxy, but we have a front load machine, so we use a lot less bleach. We double rinse them and only use gain softener with towels. We really fill the machine with towels, so they aren't getting an enormous amount of bleach and our Samsung front loaders uses 4 oz and puts it in only on the last wash. We donate ripped bath towels, which can simply be darned and we rotate smaller towels into rags, which are dyed to ensure that they aren't mixed in with our guest towels.
Our sheets are colour coded with beige being the colour of choice for Queen and burgundy or mocha the colour of choice for King, though I'm thinking of moving to a lighter colour.
As for stains on colour sheets, we find that pretreater and oxy get out most stains, especially with cold water. (See my remarks about protein stains elsewhere... and protein stains set with heat.) When something is particularly dirty, we soak items. We always use liquid fabric softener unless someone requests vinegar only. Our usual soap is organic powdered soap (Nellie's). We use harsher liquid soaps when needed.
No septic system around here. And considering where people have put the towels... I want mine bleached, thank you!

Thank you for the input so far! I found a good deal on white and would like to do it - of course I feel like we're spending money like there is no tomorrow and would hate to make the wrong choice!.
innovermyhead said:
Thank you for the input so far! I found a good deal on white and would like to do it - of course I feel like we're spending money like there is no tomorrow and would hate to make the wrong choice!
Last time I bought my bulk towels I bought just a couple first and brought them home and used them, washed them, beat on them before I placed the order.
Don't order sheets that need ironing no matter how much you love them if you don't love ironing, too. Or, if you don't have someone ironing for you or one of those ironing machines.

Thanks for the Atlanta Textile reference. Talked to a nice guy over there. The price on towels is great!

I had all white linens and had no problems with discoloration or anything. I used oxyclean in every load. I personally like the crisp look of white sheets. The color came into play with comforters, etc.
One sheet set was ruined by my overzealous cleaning of a couple of spots. I learned from that one.
I did have some hand towels that matched the decor in some baths/rooms and that worked out well.
Also, I had makeup wash cloths in various colors.
Having everything in white definitely made it easier to grab linens to make up the rooms.

We provide white towels, hand towels and washcloths for general bathing. We also provide a less expensive color towel for a hair towel (rolled up next to the hair dryer) and colored washcloths for make up removal.
When it is rainy, we also provide old towels to be used on windshields, shoes or whatever. This one practice has saved numerous white towels.

We provide white towels, hand towels and washcloths for general bathing. We also provide a less expensive color towel for a hair towel (rolled up next to the hair dryer) and colored washcloths for make up removal.
When it is rainy, we also provide old towels to be used on windshields, shoes or whatever. This one practice has saved numerous white towels..
I provide an old husband to wipe down windshields.
Seriously - we keep things separate. He has his job, I have mine (the B&B) but when he's home he'll request car keys and get everyone's cars de-iced, warmed up and ready to go.

When it is rainy, we also provide old towels to be used on windshields, shoes or whatever. This one practice has saved numerous white towels..
Seriously - we keep things separate. He has his job, I have mine (the B&B) but when he's home he'll request car keys and get everyone's cars de-iced, warmed up and ready to go.
The Tipsy Butler said:
If/when I go on my Innspiring innmates road trip I really want to visit you. Sounds like there are very few dull moments. I keep imagining that you must be a cross between Helen Mirren and Carol Burnett.

The Tipsy Butler said:
If/when I go on my Innspiring innmates road trip I really want to visit you. Sounds like there are very few dull moments. I keep imagining that you must be a cross between Helen Mirren and Carol Burnett.
Innkeep said:
I keep imagining that you must be a cross between Helen Mirren and Carol Burnett.
With a dash of Jennifer Saunders as Anne of Green Gables...

The Tipsy Butler said:
Innkeep said:
I keep imagining that you must be a cross between Helen Mirren and Carol Burnett.
muirford said:
Innkeep said:
That's kind of scary.

The Tipsy Butler said:
Innkeep said:
muirford said:
Innkeep said:
That's kind of scary.
Proud Texan said:
That's kind of scary.
Not in the least!

The Tipsy Butler said:
Innkeep said:
muirford said:
Innkeep said:
That's kind of scary.
Proud Texan said:
That's kind of scary.
Not in the least!
lrg_Untitled-1_0.jpg

Yep, Scary.

Back