Sheets

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adayscalm

Reaction score
What do you do about wrinkles? I prefer cotton sheets and have 500 + thread count sheets...but they need pressing out of the dryer....does anyone know of the perfect cotton brand that wrinkles less? Thanks!

I go thru this all the time. The only way I can get 100% cotton sheets to not wrinkle is to wash the sheets separately from the pillow cases so they don't get all wound up. Then, put the sheets (only 2 sets) in the dryer with either a couple of clean sneakers or a rubber dog toy that's about the size of a grapefruit.
Otherwise, I think a lot of it has to do with where the sheets are made and what kind of cotton it is. Sooooo, I use poly-cotton on the sheets I use most and 100% cotton on the rest.
I don't think you can rely on brands, either. I bought 9 sets of sheets at the same time, from the same store (Ralph Lauren) and some of them shrunk and some of them didn't. Some of them stayed crisp and some wrinkled up like mad.

500 TC is just asking for trouble, if you ask me. The material will be so thin and I bet you go through them and have them rip all the time.
I use sheets that are about 300TC, 100 cotton and have been chemically treated to be wrinkle resistant. The wrinkle resistant chemical essentially limits the amount of wrinkling, as long as you pull them out of the dryer immediately (and they haven't wound on anything, as Maddie suggested above.) I find them at JCP and Targé, among other places. I have tried the 400TC and 600TC at Land's End, but they end in tatters well before the chemical treatment wears off.
When the chemical treatment does wear off, the sheets will still remain quite wrinkle resistant because the fabric threads have been properly aligned, but it will never be perfect as long as it is cotton.
I use Poly/Cotton in the winter only, because polyester (other terms for polyester are bamboo or microfiber) is a fabric that doesn't breath and therefore gets heat in. A good mix is usually about 60% cotton and 40% polyester. But make sure that there is enough fabric for modern mattresses. Some manufacturers don't put on enough fabric.

500 TC is just asking for trouble, if you ask me. The material will be so thin and I bet you go through them and have them rip all the time.
I use sheets that are about 300TC, 100 cotton and have been chemically treated to be wrinkle resistant. The wrinkle resistant chemical essentially limits the amount of wrinkling, as long as you pull them out of the dryer immediately (and they haven't wound on anything, as Maddie suggested above.) I find them at JCP and Targé, among other places. I have tried the 400TC and 600TC at Land's End, but they end in tatters well before the chemical treatment wears off.
When the chemical treatment does wear off, the sheets will still remain quite wrinkle resistant because the fabric threads have been properly aligned, but it will never be perfect as long as it is cotton.
I use Poly/Cotton in the winter only, because polyester (other terms for polyester are bamboo or microfiber) is a fabric that doesn't breath and therefore gets heat in. A good mix is usually about 60% cotton and 40% polyester. But make sure that there is enough fabric for modern mattresses. Some manufacturers don't put on enough fabric..
Eric Arthur Blair said:
I find them at JCP and Targé, among other places.
You are the first person I've seen spell Target, the way everyone I know says it!

I use Poly/Cotton in the winter only, because polyester (other terms for polyester are bamboo or microfiber) is a fabric that doesn't breath and therefore gets heat in. A good mix is usually about 60% cotton and 40% polyester. But make sure that there is enough fabric for modern mattresses. Some manufacturers don't put on enough fabric..
Eric Arthur Blair said:
I find them at JCP and Targé, among other places.
You are the first person I've seen spell Target, the way everyone I know says it!
They are actually months away from actually legally being called that. goo.gl/ka9qE

My solution probably will not work for most of you....for most of the year I hang my sheets outside on the clothesline. The wind irons for me! Sometimes I feel compelled to iron the pillowcases to put the finishing touches on the linens, but mostly during the summer they go from the line to the bed!
In the cooler months we are generally slower so I try to dry just one set of sheets at time in the dryer, removing them while still just a teeeeeeny bit damp and "hand ironing" them. (Smoothing the begeebers out of them) Then I hang them on the laundry rack to finish drying. This works well for me since my laundry rack is directly above our baseboard-heating element in the laundry room.

My solution probably will not work for most of you....for most of the year I hang my sheets outside on the clothesline. The wind irons for me! Sometimes I feel compelled to iron the pillowcases to put the finishing touches on the linens, but mostly during the summer they go from the line to the bed!
In the cooler months we are generally slower so I try to dry just one set of sheets at time in the dryer, removing them while still just a teeeeeeny bit damp and "hand ironing" them. (Smoothing the begeebers out of them) Then I hang them on the laundry rack to finish drying. This works well for me since my laundry rack is directly above our baseboard-heating element in the laundry room..
I also line dry when possible. I do make appointments with the dreaded ironing board for pillowcases. No place to hang them inside so I have to just fold them and put on the shelf. I am a lousy folder unfortunately. Wrinkle city.

I'm a brand new innkeeper - 2 weeks as of tomorrow. I can hardly keep up and now I read here about ironing sheets?!?!! I'm happy just to get them washed & put back on. I haven't even considered the ramifications of wrinkled sheets *gasp*. And we're in slow season... (I'm so glad I've found you guys!)

I'm a brand new innkeeper - 2 weeks as of tomorrow. I can hardly keep up and now I read here about ironing sheets?!?!! I'm happy just to get them washed & put back on. I haven't even considered the ramifications of wrinkled sheets *gasp*. And we're in slow season... (I'm so glad I've found you guys!).
Welcome.

I'm a brand new innkeeper - 2 weeks as of tomorrow. I can hardly keep up and now I read here about ironing sheets?!?!! I'm happy just to get them washed & put back on. I haven't even considered the ramifications of wrinkled sheets *gasp*. And we're in slow season... (I'm so glad I've found you guys!).
Welcome.
Thank you!

Dena said:
I'm a brand new innkeeper - 2 weeks as of tomorrow. I can hardly keep up and now I read here about ironing sheets?!?!! I'm happy just to get them washed & put back on. I haven't even considered the ramifications of wrinkled sheets *gasp*. And we're in slow season... (I'm so glad I've found you guys!)
Welcome. I'm allergic to irons. That tells you how many sheets I have ironed in 18 years of doing this.

Welcome.
Thank you!
Im not alergic to ironing but with 12 rooms there is no fricking way I am ironing! we have a laundry service who provide all the sheets etc and we send them in dirty with bathmats covered in shoe polish and they come back sparkling white fabulous! It does get easier but if you have a busy season it may be worth finding a reasoably priced laundry who will wash and iron or dry straight for you just to keep your sanity. Its what the smaller bb's round me do they manage on their own when its quiet and send the excess to Brian's (that's the chap who has the local laundrette and specialases in BB linen processing) just to keep on top of things. Its worth thinking about.

Most of my bed linen is 500TC pima cotton. It's a pita to iron to start with but the beauty of it is that the older it gets the softer and easier to iron it becomes.

welcome.gif
Dena. Glad you found us. I came here 3 years ago and I was also new at that time. Get ready to learn alot here.

Welcome along. We've been guest free for a couple of weeks, but this week because it's half-term break we're very busy. It's a shock to the system to not only have to get out of bed early but to get everything organised. Don't panic, you'll settle into a routine in a while.
I got up this morning an realised I'd no orange juice ready and I've been doing this for 8 years. I've had cartons out of the freezer floating round in bowls of hot water for the past half hour.
regular_smile.gif

Dena said:
I'm a brand new innkeeper - 2 weeks as of tomorrow.
welcome.gif

Back