She'll be sor-ry, bless her heart

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillumhouse

Reaction score
At poll worker training last week, on e of the flutes from Community Band came over and asked if I would play in the orchestra for their Christmas Cantata at her church. They rehearse on Sunday afternoons.
So I dragged my bari sax (don't have alto but they said down an octave is fine) over to the church. In case you don't know how big that horn is, I think with the case it must be 40 pounds at least and feels like 100 because it is ungainly. I get there and it is UP a whole flight of stairs to get to where they are rehearsing. There are a few pieces of bari music, but mostly alto and on one song I am playing cello music.
I could not remember what the tranlation is from bass clef to the treble I can read but it just so happens my guest tonight is a retired Army Band trombonist. He told me just add 3 sharps. Since this is in one flat, I play as written but as 2 sharps.
Now since a LOT of this music has me playing on the up beat and a jillion 16th notes, she is going to be sorry she asked me to play. Bless her heart! (Saving grace is I do know when to stop blowing air into that horn!)

From concert pitch to Bb clarinet I add one sharp... but I also have to play up one note. (Read C play D.) I would think that would be the case for you, that you'd not only add the sharps but play either up or down?
OK, I went and looked it up. Here it is from Wikipedia:
Since the baritone and alto are pitched in E, players can read concert pitch music notated in the bass clef by reading it as if it were treble clef and adding three sharps to the key signature. This process, referred to as clef substitution, makes it possible for the baritone or alto to play from parts written for bassoon, tuba, trombone, or string bass. This can be useful if a band or orchestra lacks one of those instruments.
So what is a low C on bass clef (the one in the middle of the staff) reads as an A in treble clef. You are essentially moving down two notes (or up five), substituting an A for a C, and adding the three sharps.
I don't know if I could do it... I'm not very good at reading bass clef. Well, I can't... I have to kind of count up or down from the notes I know.
Bari is bass clef? I didn't know that.
Treble: FACE (spaces) and Every Good Boy Does Fine (lines)
Bass: ACEG - All Cars Eat Gas (spaces) and GBDFA - Good Boys Deserve Fun Always (lines)
She won't be sorry if you practice a LOT.
wink_smile.gif

Have fun!
cheers.gif

=)
Kk.

From concert pitch to Bb clarinet I add one sharp... but I also have to play up one note. (Read C play D.) I would think that would be the case for you, that you'd not only add the sharps but play either up or down?
Since the baritone and alto are pitched in E, players can read concert pitch music notated in the bass clef by reading it as if it were treble clef and adding three sharps to the key signature. This process, referred to as clef substitution, makes it possible for the baritone or alto to play from parts written for bassoon, tuba, trombone, or string bass. This can be useful if a band or orchestra lacks one of those instruments.
So what is a low C on bass clef (the one in the middle of the staff) reads as an A in treble clef. You are essentially moving down two notes (or up five), substituting an A for a C, and adding the three sharps.
I don't know if I could do it... I'm not very good at reading bass clef. Well, I can't... I have to kind of count up or down from the notes I know.
Bass: ACEG - All Cars Eat Gas (spaces) and GBDFA - Good Boys Deserve Fun Always (lines)
wink_smile.gif

Have fun!
cheers.gif

=)
Kk..
Bari is treble clef which is why I had to have to coaching session.Since it is an E-flat instrument, he said I just play the FACE as normal. When I was in high school, I played in the Wheeling Symphone training orchestra and since orchestras do not have saxophones (alto, tenor, or bari), they gave me cello & bass music and the director told me to play it as I read it. It is so long ago that I do not remember what the key signature was on anything.
Because of that, I told their music librarian to give me cello music on the song she only had string parts for.
PRACTICE??? ME????? Yes, I have so much dead time on my hands... I (as of now anyway) 6 nights this month with no one in house. Someone is supposed to stop by today and drop off a CD so I can hear what it is SUPPOSED to sound like. This is also the first time I have ever had 6/8 conducted in 6!

wink_smile.gif

Have fun!
cheers.gif

=)
Kk..
Bari is treble clef which is why I had to have to coaching session.Since it is an E-flat instrument, he said I just play the FACE as normal. When I was in high school, I played in the Wheeling Symphone training orchestra and since orchestras do not have saxophones (alto, tenor, or bari), they gave me cello & bass music and the director told me to play it as I read it. It is so long ago that I do not remember what the key signature was on anything.
Because of that, I told their music librarian to give me cello music on the song she only had string parts for.
PRACTICE??? ME????? Yes, I have so much dead time on my hands... I (as of now anyway) 6 nights this month with no one in house. Someone is supposed to stop by today and drop off a CD so I can hear what it is SUPPOSED to sound like. This is also the first time I have ever had 6/8 conducted in 6!
i have absolutely no clue what you are talking about.
but it sounds like fun!

wink_smile.gif

Have fun!
cheers.gif

=)
Kk..
but it sounds like fun!
Do you get the impression that Socks could hold her own on any random topic tossed out on the table? I'm impressed! ;)

wink_smile.gif

Have fun!
cheers.gif

=)
Kk..
but it sounds like fun!
I play baritone sax in the Community Band and was asked to play in the "orchestra" for a Christmas Cantata in a nearby town. My eyes, fingers, nd brain operate on 3 different speeds these days - rarely in sync.
Most instruments play music written in the treble clef but tuba, trombone, baritone horn, cello, and bass fiddle play in the bass clef (the only way they can get their notes on a staff since their range is so much lower - my opinion of why).
I do enjoy blowing my brains out!

wink_smile.gif

Have fun!
cheers.gif

=)
Kk..
but it sounds like fun!
Do you get the impression that Socks could hold her own on any random topic tossed out on the table? I'm impressed! ;)
That is why she can home school. More than I coud do.

wink_smile.gif

Have fun!
cheers.gif

=)
Kk..
gillumhouse said:
Bari is treble clef which is why I had to have to coaching session.Since it is an E-flat instrument, he said I just play the FACE as normal.
OK... then yeah, it's easy. You take a bass clef cello part and you read it as treble clef (plus the sharps) and you're good to go. Just make sure they give you a bass clef part to read...
That's a lot easier than me having to add two sharps and read one note up (see D, play E). I usually just retype the music using a program they have at church.
BariQueen said:
Why would it be conducted in 6? Is it slow?
I don't practice either. (Don't tell my group... oh wait, they probably already know...)
Yay on the busy month!
=)
Kk.

wink_smile.gif

Have fun!
cheers.gif

=)
Kk..
gillumhouse said:
Bari is treble clef which is why I had to have to coaching session.Since it is an E-flat instrument, he said I just play the FACE as normal.
OK... then yeah, it's easy. You take a bass clef cello part and you read it as treble clef (plus the sharps) and you're good to go. Just make sure they give you a bass clef part to read...
That's a lot easier than me having to add two sharps and read one note up (see D, play E). I usually just retype the music using a program they have at church.
BariQueen said:
Why would it be conducted in 6? Is it slow?
I don't practice either. (Don't tell my group... oh wait, they probably already know...)
Yay on the busy month!
=)
Kk.
We are accompanying the choir. I do not know why she is doing it in 6 and yes it is slow. She is conducting it like it is 3/4 but two of them in a measure. Ask me why I got lost counting 15 measures in that song the first ime through it? Got the CD and will play it after i get doen with laundry and cleaning. This music is screwy! There is one piece that has a repeat but does not tell where to go back to.... She said measure 17 - OK. We have until December....

wink_smile.gif

Have fun!
cheers.gif

=)
Kk..
but it sounds like fun!
IronGate said:
embaressed_smile.gif

teeth_smile.gif

=)
Kk.

Back