Short Cuts for Innkeepers

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JunieBJones (JBJ)

Reaction score
What are some shortcuts you have found that you are willing to share? Cleaning, bookkeeping, website, guest related stuff...anything you find that saves you time OR money?

I like to prep as much of the breakfast items as possible the night before. I get to sleep an extra 1/2 hour.
Too new yet to have many shortcuts.
I also do wipe the tub with a papertowel first to collect all that hair.....instead of wiping it around and fighting to collect it.

Breakfast: Having the baked things done ahead of time. Either things that I've frozen or just baking the night before. Fixing anything with the fruit that can be prepped. Setting the table the night before (I've been closing off the dining room at night right before I do this.) Shopping for bulk items, dividing into portions for 2-4 people and freezing (like bacon, sausage, Canadian bacon).
Laundry: Staying on top of the laundry!!!
Guest amenities/doodads: Picking things up when I see them at the dollar store, or discount stores. Especially cards for special occasions or turndown stuff.
Office work: I'm behind on this mostly because of not getting the space set up. I've actually blocked out a couple of days next week to get it done!!
Cleaning: Cleaning caddy that goes with me to the rooms that is fully stocked, including scissors, pen/notepad, screwdrivers, and anything else that I might need. It helps that I have a housekeeping/linen closet upstairs in the Main House & another one in the laundry room of the 2nd house.
You probably do most of this stuff already!

At the end of the holiday season which is the only time I can get whole cranberries (Thanksgiving & Christmas), the price on the cranberries is reduced and I totally stock up and go directly to my freezer locker with them. I have an awesome recipe for cranberry muffins that I use quite a bit because a whole recipe makes enough for a day of trade show and a 1/2 recipe is perfect for breakfast with "care packages".
The freezer locker is in the town where the veggie store is located so I am there every week anyway. Rather than buy a freezer (which I have no place to put in the first place) and then pay the electric bill to run and cringe every time there is a power failure, I pay $50 per year for a nice sized (perfect for my needs) locker at the ice plant.
When I do a dinner (as I did tonight) my French bread recipe makes 2 loaves and the guests get one. The next morning breakfast is ALWAYS bread pudding with the left over loaf. (saves money) It is also one of the do the scut work the night before so I get some extra sleep. Since I have lots of traffic in the next few days, I made up a muffin recipe that can be mixed up and kept for a couple days in the fridge. Another 15 minute snooze. Set table the night before.

At the end of the holiday season which is the only time I can get whole cranberries (Thanksgiving & Christmas), the price on the cranberries is reduced and I totally stock up and go directly to my freezer locker with them. I have an awesome recipe for cranberry muffins that I use quite a bit because a whole recipe makes enough for a day of trade show and a 1/2 recipe is perfect for breakfast with "care packages".
The freezer locker is in the town where the veggie store is located so I am there every week anyway. Rather than buy a freezer (which I have no place to put in the first place) and then pay the electric bill to run and cringe every time there is a power failure, I pay $50 per year for a nice sized (perfect for my needs) locker at the ice plant.
When I do a dinner (as I did tonight) my French bread recipe makes 2 loaves and the guests get one. The next morning breakfast is ALWAYS bread pudding with the left over loaf. (saves money) It is also one of the do the scut work the night before so I get some extra sleep. Since I have lots of traffic in the next few days, I made up a muffin recipe that can be mixed up and kept for a couple days in the fridge. Another 15 minute snooze. Set table the night before..
Does your muffin recipe have eggs in it? If so, the Health Dept here would frown on that :-( It would have to be baked up. Can't store batter like that according to my inspector.

And just how often do you get inspected?
wink_smile.gif

=) Kk.

When I do a dinner (as I did tonight) my French bread recipe makes 2 loaves and the guests get one. The next morning breakfast is ALWAYS bread pudding with the left over loaf. (saves money) It is also one of the do the scut work the night before so I get some extra sleep. Since I have lots of traffic in the next few days, I made up a muffin recipe that can be mixed up and kept for a couple days in the fridge. Another 15 minute snooze. Set table the night before..
K, I too stock up on cranberrys after thanksgiving and christmas and put them in the freezer. Would you when you have time add your cranberry muffin recipe to the recipe list. Or if you don't want to do that, would you share it with me? Thanks

Every afternoon when we have guests, we offer a home made ice cream - different flavor each day. Rather than cooking up a pudding on the stove first to make the base for the ice cream, I've found that canned sweetened condensed milk is a great "short cut"-substitute for the cooked base. This saves me the cooking time, as well as the chilling time for the hot mixture before it can do to the ice cream freezer/churn, and don't forget about the clean up that I don't have to do! We get high marks from our guests for our ice cream and some of the unique flavors, such as Blueberry Cheesecake Ice Cream. Therefore, I don't feel that by using this shortcut that I've compromised any quality or flavor. It's just something that makes life easier...like the Pillsbury frozen biscuits. I can make bread, but I can't make a decent biscuit from scratch to save my life!

We shop at SAM's and I buy shredded cheese and sliced cheese in 5 pound packages, repackage in small packages and freeze. I also buy crumbled bacon like you see on salad bars in the 1 pound package and use that as seasoning or dressing on some dishes. I also buy feta cheese and parmesan cheese (kept frozen) in a large package.
I haven't been freezing muffins, but do fruit breads and freeze. Will be trying the muffins.
Pick up items at the dollar store for the amenity basket that someone may have a need to replace something forgotten or lost.
With smaller number of guests, I buy juice in single servings. Especially like the different ones in the hispanic section. But also buy the other ones too. I open them and serve in crystal glasses. But neither DH or I drink juice, so if I make or buy a larger container, the rest has to go to the grandkids. Same with milk. I buy quart or half gallon and rest goes to grandkids. I keep half and half as I use it in coffee so it doesn't go bad. Tried the single serve from SAM's but they went bad before used.
I buy splenda in single serve packets at sams. I use those too.
I bought the stainless steel carafe at SAM's and really like how it holds coffee hot. Had bought the plastic carafe at SAM's last year, but if coffee isn't used fast enough I don't think the coffee stays hot enough. But is good for groups.
I also like the bar towels you get by the dozen. Use those for kitchen towels.
I get white wash clothes from Walmart by the dozen. Then put 2 single crochet edges around the outside. They are cheaper and go with everything. If I get stained ones that I don't get out, they become cleaning cloths.
Going green is also good for the pocket book.

Every afternoon when we have guests, we offer a home made ice cream - different flavor each day. Rather than cooking up a pudding on the stove first to make the base for the ice cream, I've found that canned sweetened condensed milk is a great "short cut"-substitute for the cooked base. This saves me the cooking time, as well as the chilling time for the hot mixture before it can do to the ice cream freezer/churn, and don't forget about the clean up that I don't have to do! We get high marks from our guests for our ice cream and some of the unique flavors, such as Blueberry Cheesecake Ice Cream. Therefore, I don't feel that by using this shortcut that I've compromised any quality or flavor. It's just something that makes life easier...like the Pillsbury frozen biscuits. I can make bread, but I can't make a decent biscuit from scratch to save my life!.
Your ice cream is a great idea and am sure it is a real treat for your guests. Would you share that recipe in the recipe section?

Every afternoon when we have guests, we offer a home made ice cream - different flavor each day. Rather than cooking up a pudding on the stove first to make the base for the ice cream, I've found that canned sweetened condensed milk is a great "short cut"-substitute for the cooked base. This saves me the cooking time, as well as the chilling time for the hot mixture before it can do to the ice cream freezer/churn, and don't forget about the clean up that I don't have to do! We get high marks from our guests for our ice cream and some of the unique flavors, such as Blueberry Cheesecake Ice Cream. Therefore, I don't feel that by using this shortcut that I've compromised any quality or flavor. It's just something that makes life easier...like the Pillsbury frozen biscuits. I can make bread, but I can't make a decent biscuit from scratch to save my life!.
Your ice cream is a great idea and am sure it is a real treat for your guests. Would you share that recipe in the recipe section?
Yes, I'll post the recipe for the ice cream under "Recipes", but I can't do it now. Tomorrow evening, OK? I've got air conditioning issues with one of my three systems tonight that have consumed my evening. That really irritates me. Fortunately, it's still in warranty. I guess ice cream would be good now, eh?

Yes, I'll post the recipe for the ice cream under "Recipes", but I can't do it now. Tomorrow evening, OK? I've got air conditioning issues with one of my three systems tonight that have consumed my evening. That really irritates me. Fortunately, it's still in warranty. I guess ice cream would be good now, eh?
We all know how emergencies take priority. We all have had them. Looking forward to your recipe when you have time.

OK, I give up....HOW do I post a new recipe? I can't find the "new" button like I do with starting a new thread.

OK, I give up....HOW do I post a new recipe? I can't find the "new" button like I do with starting a new thread..
On the left side of this page, look under the heading of "Create content" for the link to "Recipe" Then you are off an running. ;)

Back