Short rant

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My turn to rant. What else Dip**** has a "show" today (he is actually selling more of his "toys" I hope) and he wants to be there by 8am. I get a call for a room last night and take it! HE comes in the kitchen this morning to make his breakfast, load the car, etc as I knew he would right when I am in the middle of fixing breakfast. I took time out to fix him a lunch (even made bread for him last night) and he decides to mop up water just as I am trying to get the entree ready for the oven so I almost trip over the
potty-mouth.gif
mop TWICE as he moves it as I try to gt over it and then HE is ticked at ME.
Just as it is with guests, it was all about HIM! He was ticked with me for taking the room. See, I can take the guests in stride, but after over 30 years of mostly 24/7 DH is the one that sends me on my rants. It is good to be able to vent so I do not have to call on the 2 ladies to help clean up the mess they did not see.
cry_smile.gif
This is as close to a primal scream as I can get!.
gillumhouse said:
My turn to rant. What else Dip**** has a "show" today (he is actually selling more of his "toys" I hope) and he wants to be there by 8am. I get a call for a room last night and take it! HE comes in the kitchen this morning to make his breakfast, load the car, etc as I knew he would right when I am in the middle of fixing breakfast. I took time out to fix him a lunch (even made bread for him last night) and he decides to mop up water just as I am trying to get the entree ready for the oven so I almost trip over the
potty-mouth.gif
mop TWICE as he moves it as I try to gt over it and then HE is ticked at ME.
Just as it is with guests, it was all about HIM! He was ticked with me for taking the room. See, I can take the guests in stride, but after over 30 years of mostly 24/7 DH is the one that sends me on my rants. It is good to be able to vent so I do not have to call on the 2 ladies to help clean up the mess they did not see.
cry_smile.gif
This is as close to a primal scream as I can get!
He's gone now, right?
Deep breath?
Double butter tonight?
=)
Kk.
Guests are on the way to a funeral from Philidelphia going to Belpre, OH (across the river from Parkersburg) which is 2 hours from me. Since they had to wait until he got home from work to leave - they get here about 1am. They have a 7:30 breakfast.
I knew he expected me to cary his toys out to the car and load it this morning so I pre-did as much as possible - all dry ingredients in bowls for cornbread and for the pumpkin choc chip muffins. Entree and cornbread has to be in the oven by 7. I even made him a lunch! He chose to enter the kitchen at 6:40 - BAD timing. And then HE is angry with me for being upset. I do not go into his studio and muck around - but ...... This is a one butt kitchen as you kow having been here.
BUT - the excercise biek is now gone and I am making more room for me in the kitchen and he is filling it up as fast as I empty.
Yes, he is gone until at least 5. I got the laundry done, dishes almost done (even did a silver polish morning). As soon as the "fluff" in the dryer finishes I will go finish flipping that room. One room tonight. Even beat the mailman to get a b'day card in the mail for a certain prayer shawl person.
Thanks for listening. One would think that after all thse years it would roll off. Most stuff does - but when I am trying to run MY business..... Thank goodness he is a "good one"!

All these bathroom shelves are made of glass that will become little pellets, just like auto safety glass. Would you take all your mirrors out of your bathrooms and guest rooms too? Your windows? Jeez...stuff is bound to get broken. These bathroom shelves work well in spaces where nothing else can fit...we have 3 of them above pedestal sinks.
People do weird stuff...that guy is probably used to putting his foot up on his own furniture to tie his shoe. Idiot..
Not all of them are tempered glass. Most of the shelves in medicine cabinets are simple plate glass.
Not sure what Bree had. If she had a pile of fragments all over then it was tempered. If she had a pile of sharp shards, then it was pre-stressed (like pyrex or corelle) and if she had solid plate pieces with cracks in it, it was plate glass.
Tempered and pre-stressed glass don't break quietly. Due to stresses intensionally built into tempered glass it sort of goes off with a bang. And that which makes it stronger also creates a new weakness. Plate glass can be scratched with a diamond or piece of sand and only result in scratch in the glass. A similar scratch in tempered glass can trigger the release of all that stress. So while it can carry more weight and withstand more impact, a passing glance with a ring can trigger a failure.
swirt said:
Not all of them are tempered glass. Most of the shelves in medicine cabinets are simple plate glass.
Not sure what Bree had. If she had a pile of fragments all over then it was tempered. If she had a pile of sharp shards, then it was pre-stressed (like pyrex or corelle) and if she had solid plate pieces with cracks in it, it was plate glass.
Tempered and pre-stressed glass don't break quietly. Due to stresses intensionally built into tempered glass it sort of goes off with a bang. And that which makes it stronger also creates a new weakness. Plate glass can be scratched with a diamond or piece of sand and only result in scratch in the glass. A similar scratch in tempered glass can trigger the release of all that stress. So while it can carry more weight and withstand more impact, a passing glance with a ring can trigger a failure.
Pyrex is tempered. I just saw it on HOW IT'S MADE and thought of our innkeeper who had guests use it on the stove to boil water.
Pyrex starts out tempered, but each time you use it in the oven, it loses some of its tempering and just becomes pre-stressed. A brand new pyrex baking dish if you drop it on the tile floor will likely shatter and produce the little "safe" fragments. After you've cooked in it a few times, if you drop it on the floor you get these long slivers and slices. I've broken 2 in the sink by losing my grip on them, while washing them and then we had one of our slide out cabinet shelves break loose and crash to the tile breaking 3 pyrex baking pans in one shot
cry_smile.gif
. They all resulted in slices (I got cut two of the three times) not "safe" fragments.

All these bathroom shelves are made of glass that will become little pellets, just like auto safety glass. Would you take all your mirrors out of your bathrooms and guest rooms too? Your windows? Jeez...stuff is bound to get broken. These bathroom shelves work well in spaces where nothing else can fit...we have 3 of them above pedestal sinks.
People do weird stuff...that guy is probably used to putting his foot up on his own furniture to tie his shoe. Idiot..
swirt said:
Pyrex is tempered. I just saw it on HOW IT'S MADE and thought of our innkeeper who had guests use it on the stove to boil water.
Pyrex starts out tempered, but each time you use it in the oven, it loses some of its tempering and just becomes pre-stressed. A brand new pyrex baking dish if you drop it on the tile floor will likely shatter and produce the little "safe" fragments. After you've cooked in it a few times, if you drop it on the floor you get these long slivers and slices. I've broken 2 in the sink by losing my grip on them, while washing them and then we had one of our slide out cabinet shelves break loose and crash to the tile breaking 3 pyrex baking pans in one shot
cry_smile.gif
. They all resulted in slices (I got cut two of the three times) not "safe" fragments.
Interestingly, a cast iron skillet will also shatter into big slivers and shards if hurled with enough force.

swirt said:
cry_smile.gif
Interestingly, a cast iron skillet will also shatter into big slivers and shards if hurled with enough force.
happyjacks said:
Do tell. Please.
teeth_smile.gif

swirt said:
cry_smile.gif
swirt said:
cry_smile.gif
Interesting! I have blown up a few in the oven and contacted them and they accused me of putting them in while preheating. I didn't fall off a turnip truck! I would never do that.

swirt said:
cry_smile.gif
And who was the husband who ducked in time to actually see the cast iron shatter?

swirt said:
cry_smile.gif
swirt said:
cry_smile.gif
Interesting! I have blown up a few in the oven and contacted them and they accused me of putting them in while preheating. I didn't fall off a turnip truck! I would never do that.
And putting them in while pre-heating would be dangerous because they are heating more rapidly than if placed in an already heated oven??? (I'm questioning/mocking their logic, not yours.)

swirt said:
cry_smile.gif
swirt said:
cry_smile.gif
And putting them in while pre-heating would be dangerous because they are heating more rapidly than if placed in an already heated oven??? (I'm questioning/mocking their logic, not yours.)
swirt said:
Yes temps BOOST way way high to preheat. It might read the current temp on the outside of the oven, but inside it is soaring rapidly.

swirt said:
cry_smile.gif
swirt said:
cry_smile.gif
swirt said:
Yes temps BOOST way way high to preheat. It might read the current temp on the outside of the oven, but inside it is soaring rapidly.
Sorry, there are two things you are describing here and neither are quite true.
"temps BOOST way way high to preheat" - This one deals with the actual temperature inside the oven. or perhaps the temperature of the element. If you mean the temp of the element/burner, this is always true. If the element is "on" it will always be hotter than the oven itself. It has to be hotter than the oven in order to get heat to move from the element to the rest of the oven. So this part is true whether pre-heating or simply cooking. The oven temp either air or sidewalls depending on how you want to measure it won't go beyond the temp you set the pre-heat for. So if you set the oven for 375 the temp of the air or rack or sidewall will not go above 375 (but again the burner or element will). So the cooking dish if in the oven would not go above the set temp unless it is really close to the burner/element (which is possible).
"but inside it is soaring rapidly" - this has to do with rate of change of temperature. Solid objects conduct heat at a constant rate based on what the material is. Glass conducts heat more slowly than metal, so it will change temperature more gradually than the metal of the oven and rack. But the rate is not dependent on temperature. If you put the dish in a 375degree oven it will change temp at the same rate as if you put it in a 500degree oven. They will both reach 375 at the same time, it is just that the one in the 500 degree oven will keep going until it reaches 375.
There is also radiant heating to consider. If the element or burner in your oven is covered (as they are in better ovens), then radiant heating plays a minor role. If it is uncovered (think old or inexpensive oven) then radiant heat may play a role and could cause the dish to warm more rapidly which may lead to the problem. Most ovens that have an actual "pre-heat" setting avoid this by actually taking longer to pre-heat to give the heat the chance to spread out. Our oven when you set it to pre-heat actually cycles back and forth between the main element and the broiler to spread the heat more evenly. Then when you switch the setting to regular bake it just uses the main element. So for modern ovens the preheat is actually slower and more gradual than just turning the oven "on."
The real problem related to pyrex is usually not the high temperature, it is the abrupt change by contact or different temperatures within the glass itself. Metal can bend and flex as the temps change, but glass doesn't bend or flex well so it breaks.
Examples:
  • taking the hot pyrex dish out of the oven and then resting it on the much colder stovetop (off)...the coils in the stove top cause part of the pyrex to cool very rapidly while the rest of it remains hot.
  • taking a cold pyrex dish and setting it on a preheated oven rack that is already 375 causes little hot lines that match the oven rack to form in the glass.
  • The pyrex dish as placed in the oven has a frozen chicken breast in it...the glass not touching the chicken gets hot fairly rapidly but the part touching the chicken is still cold.
  • In ovens with exposed burners where radiant plays a much bigger roll, putting food in the dish that does not evenly distribute in the dish so the food gets hot but the areas of the glass where there is no food, remain colder. Caserole good, because the entire dish gets heated evenly. Game hen bad because it leaves large portions of the dish exposed (if you look at the list of people's experiences you will see that a lot of the explosions were cooking chickens, or a halves of a squash or stuffed mushrooms or other solid objects that leave places of the glass clear for the radiant heat to pass through.) edited: I think this where the preheat concern comes in if the oven's preheat setting uses the broiler element which heats more by radiant heating.

swirt said:
cry_smile.gif
And who was the husband who ducked in time to actually see the cast iron shatter?
This was waaaay before my B&B days, so PITA in question was my boyfriend. We were having an argument over the phone. I hung up angry and instead of hurling and breaking another phone, I picked up what was close at hand--a cast iron skillet--and flung it down. The apartment I was living in at the time had concrete under the parquet floor and the skillet just shattered. Who knew? I must say, it completely deflated my anger.
BTW, the argument that caused it couldn't have been too important because the boyfriend is now my husband. And while he does incite me to want to throw things sometimes, cast iron skillets are now on the 'do not hurl' list.
(My roomate at the time never said a thing about the broken skillet in the gargabe, but that year for christmas she gave me a foam brick from the novelty store.)

swirt said:
cry_smile.gif
This was waaaay before my B&B days, so PITA in question was my boyfriend. We were having an argument over the phone. I hung up angry and instead of hurling and breaking another phone, I picked up what was close at hand--a cast iron skillet--and flung it down. The apartment I was living in at the time had concrete under the parquet floor and the skillet just shattered. Who knew? I must say, it completely deflated my anger.
BTW, the argument that caused it couldn't have been too important because the boyfriend is now my husband. And while he does incite me to want to throw things sometimes, cast iron skillets are now on the 'do not hurl' list.
(My roomate at the time never said a thing about the broken skillet in the gargabe, but that year for christmas she gave me a foam brick from the novelty store.)
LOL Then I should warn you that hitting a cast iron bathtub with a sledgehammer will also end in a similar fashion..it will just take you a lot longer to clean up. ;)

You bring up something I wanted to ask.
This morning my heavy duty cookie sheet which housed the two quiches shifted in the hot oven and nearly ruined breakfast. Any idea how to prevent this? If I put the cookie sheet in without the quiche it does this even more so and half warps it.
The two quiche were saved but one was lopsided and the oven smoked up pretty well.

swirt said:
cry_smile.gif
happyjacks said:
Breaking ANOTHER phone? Wild woman!
wink_smile.gif

swirt said:
cry_smile.gif
happyjacks said:
Breaking ANOTHER phone? Wild woman!
wink_smile.gif

when jacks ain't happy.... look out!
devil_smile.gif

This morning my heavy duty cookie sheet which housed the two quiches shifted in the hot oven and nearly ruined breakfast. Any idea how to prevent this? If I put the cookie sheet in without the quiche it does this even more so and half warps it.
The two quiche were saved but one was lopsided and the oven smoked up pretty well..
ooh you've really got me back in ol Physics Teacher mode today. LOL
Quite probably something happened in the history of this cookie sheet that tempered part of the pan in a different way than the rest of it. If the entire cookie sheet is allowed to heat or cool gradually then the tempering is all the same. So the expansion rate or contraction rate is all the same. However, if someone caused one section to heat or cool more rapidly than the other you end up with one section of the metal actually tempered to a different level than rest, so part of the pan expands at a different rate than the rest, which causes it to warp.
This was likley caused by pouring water on it shortly after it came out of the oven, or setting it on top of the stove so that where the cool burners touched it cooled it rapidly but where it was elevated and not touching anything it cooled slowly.
(DISCLAiMER: this might make things worse or ruin something else) You might be able to re-temper it by putting it in your oven at as high a temp as you can get (like 500 degrees) for 10 minutes or so and then just let it stay in the oven and cool naturally. Though my bet would be that you need to weight down the corners so it remains flat....which of course might damage the things you are weighting it with. If it is teflon coated I am not sure what would happen to the coating at that temp.
Quite likely this cookie sheet is destined to become a tray for the garage to catch oil drips :(

The two quiche were saved but one was lopsided and the oven smoked up pretty well..
Quite probably something happened in the history of this cookie sheet that tempered part of the pan in a different way than the rest of it. If the entire cookie sheet is allowed to heat or cool gradually then the tempering is all the same. So the expansion rate or contraction rate is all the same. However, if someone caused one section to heat or cool more rapidly than the other you end up with one section of the metal actually tempered to a different level than rest, so part of the pan expands at a different rate than the rest, which causes it to warp.
This was likley caused by pouring water on it shortly after it came out of the oven, or setting it on top of the stove so that where the cool burners touched it cooled it rapidly but where it was elevated and not touching anything it cooled slowly.
(DISCLAiMER: this might make things worse or ruin something else) You might be able to re-temper it by putting it in your oven at as high a temp as you can get (like 500 degrees) for 10 minutes or so and then just let it stay in the oven and cool naturally. Though my bet would be that you need to weight down the corners so it remains flat....which of course might damage the things you are weighting it with. If it is teflon coated I am not sure what would happen to the coating at that temp.
Quite likely this cookie sheet is destined to become a tray for the garage to catch oil drips :(
swirt said:
Another one bites the dust.
Any suggestions of cookie sheets that are more reliable - as quiche trays. I have to put something under them when I cook them.
chef.gif
Maybe I need to find the cheapest one possible, and just go for that!

swirt said:
Any suggestions of cookie sheets that are more reliable - as quiche trays. I have to put something under them when I cook them.
chef.gif
I don't have any suggestions. on what brands. Only suggestions about how not to wash them or set them down if they are hot. My guess would be that educating the other members of the family would do mroe for preserving a new one than buying some specific brand.
DW does a lot of baking with ramekins and uses a cookie sheet under them. Bakers Secret is the brand. If I were buying one specifically for this purpose I would get one that is not teflon coated so the ramekins don't slide around so much and make sure it has a lip all the way around the edge to keep them from sliding off on the floor. There. You have just reached the end of my internet, please go back ;)

swirt said:
chef.gif
I don't have any suggestions. on what brands. Only suggestions about how not to wash them or set them down if they are hot. My guess would be that educating the other members of the family would do mroe for preserving a new one than buying some specific brand.
DW does a lot of baking with ramekins and uses a cookie sheet under them. Bakers Secret is the brand. If I were buying one specifically for this purpose I would get one that is not teflon coated so the ramekins don't slide around so much and make sure it has a lip all the way around the edge to keep them from sliding off on the floor. There. You have just reached the end of my internet, please go back ;)
swirt said:
DW does a lot of baking with ramekins and uses a cookie sheet under them. Bakers Secret is the brand. If I were buying one specifically for this purpose I would get one that is not teflon coated so the ramekins don't slide around so much and make sure it has a lip all the way around the edge to keep them from sliding off on the floor.
Wet a tea towel and fold it to fit on the baking sheet. Place the ramekins on the wet towel and put the whole thing in the oven. The ramekins won't slide around. Wetting the towel prevents it from scorching and keeps it safe for most egg-based recipes. Do not use it under the broiler or for long cooking at high temps (which you generally don't do with eggs/ramekins anyway).
Or just use a silpat or other silicone baking mat in place of the wet towel.

So, we'll replace it with cork flooring. Quieter, softer, warmer to the feet. (Bree quote)
How does cork flooring do in a bathroom?

So, we'll replace it with cork flooring. Quieter, softer, warmer to the feet. (Bree quote)
How does cork flooring do in a bathroom?.
MTLLodge said:
How does cork flooring do in a bathroom?
With proper installation, it's a good floor material. See here and here.

Back