Short rant

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
Guest calls a couple of days ago to book. Husband doesn't want anything fancy for breakfast. Because we know far enough in advance, no problem. Guest comes to breakfast this morning and has to tie shoes. Does he sit down and lean over? No. He puts his foot on another chair (not his own chair), ties shoe, repeats with other shoe. Am I the only one appalled by this?
Then, standing on the steps saying goodbye, he tells us the glass shelf in the bathroom 'just broke, I don't know how, I think it was broken already,' and away he goes.
Now we have to get a replacement glass that fits that particular shelf, but the shelf has to be taken down in order to get the new glass in. Which may mean patching & repainting a section of the wall if it doesn't come down gracefully.

Its a sign that he is comfortable enough to be oblivious, just like he probably is at home. ;)
hmmm broken glass shelf. Any way to replace it with something not made of glass? Glass for a shelf always bothers me as shelves have to bend (even slightly) and glass is one matterial that can't bend without breaking. To me it is kind of like boiling water in a paper cup. Sure it can be done, and it looks cool, but sooner or later it has to fail.

wooden chair or chair with cushion? i'd probably tie my shoes that way, using my own chair, and wiping after. sounds automatic ... like he wasn't thinking ... something he does at home.
embaressed_smile.gif
no offense intended ... not appalled. feeling guilty.
as for the broken glass shelf, i guess it's better that he TOLD you but i wish he'd come to you as soon as possible to tell you.
angry_smile.gif
love the disclaimer 'i think it was broken already'. i have had guests leave and then i go in the room and there is something broken sitting on the floor or a toilet taken apart (the usual suspects) ... i don't have any glass shelves, glass .... i'm thinking glass shards and cut fingers. if you can i'd replace it with a different material. can wood fit in there or is it going to spoil the look? probably you want to replace like with like.

After restapling the runner on the stairs back on, just had a guest bring down his igloo/ice chest/eski/cooler/chilly bin/freezer whatever you call it clunk clunk clunk clunk over each and every step - I am below them here down here it was BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG!
People don't think. I do not think he purposefully was being an idiot.

wooden chair or chair with cushion? i'd probably tie my shoes that way, using my own chair, and wiping after. sounds automatic ... like he wasn't thinking ... something he does at home.
embaressed_smile.gif
no offense intended ... not appalled. feeling guilty.
as for the broken glass shelf, i guess it's better that he TOLD you but i wish he'd come to you as soon as possible to tell you.
angry_smile.gif
love the disclaimer 'i think it was broken already'. i have had guests leave and then i go in the room and there is something broken sitting on the floor or a toilet taken apart (the usual suspects) ... i don't have any glass shelves, glass .... i'm thinking glass shards and cut fingers. if you can i'd replace it with a different material. can wood fit in there or is it going to spoil the look? probably you want to replace like with like..
7 rooms, 14 glass shelves and this is the first one to go. It looks like the top of a bottle was slammed into it. There's a round edge to where it cracked.
We took the shelf out of a bathroom that is not in use tonight. Will get replacement, hopefully, later this afternoon and have it all done before check-in.

Its a sign that he is comfortable enough to be oblivious, just like he probably is at home. ;)
hmmm broken glass shelf. Any way to replace it with something not made of glass? Glass for a shelf always bothers me as shelves have to bend (even slightly) and glass is one matterial that can't bend without breaking. To me it is kind of like boiling water in a paper cup. Sure it can be done, and it looks cool, but sooner or later it has to fail..
swirt said:
To me it is kind of like boiling water in a paper cup. Sure it can be done, and it looks cool, but sooner or later it has to fail.
I don't think I understand this. Why is failure inevitable here?
We have glas shelves in all four bathrooms... it's what they sell at Home Despot and Loos that match the other bath fixtures. They do have tempered glass...
=)
Kk.

hmmm broken glass shelf. Any way to replace it with something not made of glass? Glass for a shelf always bothers me as shelves have to bend (even slightly) and glass is one matterial that can't bend without breaking. To me it is kind of like boiling water in a paper cup. Sure it can be done, and it looks cool, but sooner or later it has to fail..
swirt said:
To me it is kind of like boiling water in a paper cup. Sure it can be done, and it looks cool, but sooner or later it has to fail.
We have glas shelves in all four bathrooms... it's what they sell at Home Despot and Loos that match the other bath fixtures. They do have tempered glass...
=)
Kk.
Home Depot and Lowes are used by homeowners. I agree that glass shelves are what is part of a set or the only thing you can buy to go with something.
However, In all the hotels I have stayed in including the upscale ones, they have sinks in countertops with countertop space and don't have glass shelves. So that is what our commercial counterparts are doing.
I put in wood shelves with the pedistal sinks because you really need something. I also put in cabinet with baskets and metal shelves with baskets.
For my own house, I found a ceramic shelf and I love it, but wouldn't put it in a B&B bathroom because it is like a glass shelf.
In the 4 apartments that I have been redoing, the medicine cabinets had glass shelves inside the cabinets. I would say at least half have been broken.

swirt said:
=)
Kk.
Failure is pretty much inevitable because shelves are meant to hold things up and they are almost always supported at the extremes (the ends), yet the load is almost always placed in the middle. This translates into two upward forces with a downward force right in the middle. It is the same method employed to bend and break sticks for a bonfire. Grab each end of the stick, put knee against middle, pull with hands, push with knee....CRACK. Wood, metal. or plastic can all bend to some degree and do, but thin pieces of glass bend only to a real small degree, after which they break. Glass can be incredibly tough and stand up to many things. The only thing it doesn't do well is bend. Tempering helps make it more rigid so that helps it resist bending more, but when tempered glass breaks, it goes everywhere. And of course the other problem with a glass shelf is that when it breaks, it also becomes a hazard. The falling pieces of the shelf can cut where wood wouldn't.
I'd say that small shelves (like those of a medicine cabinet) could be safe from being overloaded and breaking but I often find them broken or missing from secondhand medicine cabinets. So at some point they were either overloaded or something banged into them.
To me I look at it from the odds...take a material that doesn't handle bending, combine it with a property of not doing well with impacts from other objects and then make it clear which makes it all the more likely it will be accidentally hit by something, then put it in surroundings where people aren't familiar with the surroundings and where they don't always exercise the wisdom or care they might at home, and it is a recipe for a broken shelf. On the plus side, it is fireproof. ;)

You mean like the lady who put boiling hot water from the kettle into a thin plastic cup? Do not put anything past anyone. What seems like common sense does not even enter their minds.

What about replacing with Plexiglass. If you buy a thick enough piece it will stand up to a heavy weight. Home Depot and Lowes keeps several sizes in stock and will cut it for you.

What about replacing with Plexiglass. If you buy a thick enough piece it will stand up to a heavy weight. Home Depot and Lowes keeps several sizes in stock and will cut it for you..
Copperhead said:
What about replacing with Plexiglass. If you buy a thick enough piece it will stand up to a heavy weight. Home Depot and Lowes keeps several sizes in stock and will cut it for you.
Plexi is a good idea for the unbreakability. It's prone to scratches and with the gunk guests put on the shelves, I might just get something that would eat right thru it!
Hubs got the glass and replaced it this afternoon. Luckily, he had swapped the shelves out as the guests in the room with the original broken shelf arrived at 1 PM. (Of course.)

All these bathroom shelves are made of glass that will become little pellets, just like auto safety glass. Would you take all your mirrors out of your bathrooms and guest rooms too? Your windows? Jeez...stuff is bound to get broken. These bathroom shelves work well in spaces where nothing else can fit...we have 3 of them above pedestal sinks.
People do weird stuff...that guy is probably used to putting his foot up on his own furniture to tie his shoe. Idiot.

All these bathroom shelves are made of glass that will become little pellets, just like auto safety glass. Would you take all your mirrors out of your bathrooms and guest rooms too? Your windows? Jeez...stuff is bound to get broken. These bathroom shelves work well in spaces where nothing else can fit...we have 3 of them above pedestal sinks.
People do weird stuff...that guy is probably used to putting his foot up on his own furniture to tie his shoe. Idiot..
no, i wouldn't take out windows and mirrors
but a glass surface that guest put stuff on ... wouldn't surprise me that some of the guests who have clomped through here would travel to bree's and break it, lean on it, load it with too much ... and it would shatter on our old bathroom (tile) floors.

People do weird stuff...that guy is probably used to putting his foot up on his own furniture to tie his shoe. Idiot..
but a glass surface that guest put stuff on ... wouldn't surprise me that some of the guests who have clomped through here would travel to bree's and break it, lean on it, load it with too much ... and it would shatter on our old bathroom (tile) floors.
If these shatter, you can't get cut on the glass - it's safety, tempered glass and will break into pellets.

seashanty said:
6 of my 7 bathrooms have tile flooring. We figured the 7th bathroom had the vinyl because of all the angles so we replaced the old with new vinyl. We are going to have to replace one tiled floor this winter. This one is on a slab. Absolutely no give to that at all. Guest drop heavy things on the floor all the time...many of the tiles are cracked or chipped. So, we'll replace it with cork flooring. Quieter, softer, warmer to the feet.

We had a guest put a hand through a window. She said it got stuck when she was opening it, and she broke the pane trying to unstick it. No stitches but several butterflies and a wrapped hand the next a.m. My theory? She was angry and stressed out and took it out on the glass.

Not all of them are tempered glass. Most of the shelves in medicine cabinets are simple plate glass.
Not sure what Bree had. If she had a pile of fragments all over then it was tempered. If she had a pile of sharp shards, then it was pre-stressed (like pyrex or corelle) and if she had solid plate pieces with cracks in it, it was plate glass.
Tempered and pre-stressed glass don't break quietly. Due to stresses intensionally built into tempered glass it sort of goes off with a bang. And that which makes it stronger also creates a new weakness. Plate glass can be scratched with a diamond or piece of sand and only result in scratch in the glass. A similar scratch in tempered glass can trigger the release of all that stress. So while it can carry more weight and withstand more impact, a passing glance with a ring can trigger a failure.

My turn to rant. What else Dip**** has a "show" today (he is actually selling more of his "toys" I hope) and he wants to be there by 8am. I get a call for a room last night and take it! HE comes in the kitchen this morning to make his breakfast, load the car, etc as I knew he would right when I am in the middle of fixing breakfast. I took time out to fix him a lunch (even made bread for him last night) and he decides to mop up water just as I am trying to get the entree ready for the oven so I almost trip over the
potty-mouth.gif
mop TWICE as he moves it as I try to gt over it and then HE is ticked at ME.
Just as it is with guests, it was all about HIM! He was ticked with me for taking the room. See, I can take the guests in stride, but after over 30 years of mostly 24/7 DH is the one that sends me on my rants. It is good to be able to vent so I do not have to call on the 2 ladies to help clean up the mess they did not see.
cry_smile.gif
This is as close to a primal scream as I can get!

Not all of them are tempered glass. Most of the shelves in medicine cabinets are simple plate glass.
Not sure what Bree had. If she had a pile of fragments all over then it was tempered. If she had a pile of sharp shards, then it was pre-stressed (like pyrex or corelle) and if she had solid plate pieces with cracks in it, it was plate glass.
Tempered and pre-stressed glass don't break quietly. Due to stresses intensionally built into tempered glass it sort of goes off with a bang. And that which makes it stronger also creates a new weakness. Plate glass can be scratched with a diamond or piece of sand and only result in scratch in the glass. A similar scratch in tempered glass can trigger the release of all that stress. So while it can carry more weight and withstand more impact, a passing glance with a ring can trigger a failure.
swirt said:
Pyrex is tempered. I just saw it on HOW IT'S MADE and thought of our innkeeper who had guests use it on the stove to boil water.

My turn to rant. What else Dip**** has a "show" today (he is actually selling more of his "toys" I hope) and he wants to be there by 8am. I get a call for a room last night and take it! HE comes in the kitchen this morning to make his breakfast, load the car, etc as I knew he would right when I am in the middle of fixing breakfast. I took time out to fix him a lunch (even made bread for him last night) and he decides to mop up water just as I am trying to get the entree ready for the oven so I almost trip over the
potty-mouth.gif
Just as it is with guests, it was all about HIM! He was ticked with me for taking the room. See, I can take the guests in stride, but after over 30 years of mostly 24/7 DH is the one that sends me on my rants. It is good to be able to vent so I do not have to call on the 2 ladies to help clean up the mess they did not see.
cry_smile.gif
This is as close to a primal scream as I can get!.
gillumhouse said:
potty-mouth.gif
cry_smile.gif
This is as close to a primal scream as I can get!
He's gone now, right?
Deep breath?
Double butter tonight?
=)
Kk.

Back