short sheeted and not happy!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 26

Reaction score
i guess there is another definition for short sheeting and i don't mean as a prank.
i stayed at a b&b recently and the sheets were too small for the bed. the bottom sheet was not a fitted sheet and it ended about a foot away from the foot of the bed. the top sheet was the same. so, in the night, the sheets were all bunching up and untucked and i pulled back the covers to see what was going on.
i remade the bed the best i could. but it pulled apart again ... so that my feet were resting on the mattress pad if i wanted the bottom sheet up at the head of the bed. the blanket was also too small for the bed and it was a chilly night.
in the morning, i mentioned ... quietly ... privately ... to the innkeeper ... the issue. she asked, as i checked out, how was my stay and i tried to explain that i thought there was a mistake with the sheet size. she said loud and fierce, 'there is just no pleasing some people.' and she walked away.
angry_smile.gif
this makes me want to post a not so great review ... more for her attitude than the bed linens. either way, i definitely won't go back there.
it was annoying and uncomfortable to try to sleep this way.
why would they make the bed this way?

Maybe a new larger mattress was affordable but they're waiting for the smaller linen to "wear out" before it is replaced?
Or they have an unsupervised housekeeper (it is early in the "season") who never was taught how to make up a bed properly

What ever the reason was, this innkeeper clearly had NO excuse for responding the way that she did!! Seashanty was just trying to point out an 'issue' for the innkeeper's benefit. i.e. maybe there's something that you need to double check before the next guy comes in here and gets really pi$$ed off about it!
If I were you, I WOULD post the review, and mention the issue, your attempts to address it and the innkeepers' rude, un-called-for response.
I'm curious...did you check T/A? Any other mention of innkeeper attitude?

If they have a great attitude and apologize, I would think twice about the review. But with that attitude... I'd post a review.

Wait, the sheets are not long enough to cover the entire mattress?????? That's ridiculous!

You being the soul of discretion I would go ahead with the review. You brought it up, you were rebuffed, rudely and publicly, so let the chips fall where they may.
"The sheets and blankets on the bed were way too small and did not even cover the mattress (or me!). When it was brought to the owner's attention, she was rude and dismissive and stalked off without another word. The breakfast was ok, but I would not recommend this B&B because of the innkeeper's attitude toward me when privately bringing a housekeeping problem to her attention."

I have stayed in that same bed, I swear to it. All you had to do was roll over once and the sheets were all off.
If it was a while ago, then decide what to do, if it was this past weekend, I would wait. She may redeem herself.
I always say, and have said that the innkeepers I know are stellar, but I have stayed at too many places that we are always trying to defend when the critics bash B&B's...but this is it, again. Right here.

I would write the review. My gut is tat this is an issue she is already aware of but for some reason does not feel it to be an issue and so the attitude.

Speaking of being shorted, I wish I knew why every mattress topper I've ever bought has been smaller than the mattress. In my foolish days, I bought a 4 inch memory foam topper at Walmart for a full size bed. It was 4 inches short of the width of the bed, and 4 inches short of the length. I say foolish because I've decided I can't see any benefit whatsoever in the foam retaining the imprint of my body when I roll to a new spot. In fact, I consider the memory a negative.
Then I bought one of these for a full size. Again, 4" short in both width and length. Then I bought one of the same for 2 king size beds, and again 4" short in width and length. Anybody know why topper makers don't know the standard bed sizes??????

Speaking of being shorted, I wish I knew why every mattress topper I've ever bought has been smaller than the mattress. In my foolish days, I bought a 4 inch memory foam topper at Walmart for a full size bed. It was 4 inches short of the width of the bed, and 4 inches short of the length. I say foolish because I've decided I can't see any benefit whatsoever in the foam retaining the imprint of my body when I roll to a new spot. In fact, I consider the memory a negative.
Then I bought one of these for a full size. Again, 4" short in both width and length. Then I bought one of the same for 2 king size beds, and again 4" short in width and length. Anybody know why topper makers don't know the standard bed sizes??????.
I bought mattress pads with the same problem. While discussing this with the technical librarian at my local library (yes they ARE helpful!) she told me to buy the next size up. (Does not work for king mattresses.) So, for the double, buy a queen; for the queen, buy a king. You could buy a Cal king for a standard king.

Then I bought one of these for a full size. Again, 4" short in both width and length. Then I bought one of the same for 2 king size beds, and again 4" short in width and length. Anybody know why topper makers don't know the standard bed sizes??????.
I am clueless (yet again
cry_smile.gif
) but have wondered this as well.
Personally I love the memory toppers - but as the saying goes, it would be a dull existence if we all were the same!

First of all, the guests.... love them (memory foam). Ours were bought at Cco and they are a little shorter, but that doesn't seem to be a problem. We do have to pull and prod them from time to time. But the guests just LOVE them. Put on the hardest worst mattress and the guests just RAVE.
I wouldn't a memory foam bed, for one thing, it's not great for sex. But the topper, they love.

well ... i don't know about the memory foam ... and why sizing is not made to match up to the mattress ... that's just silly.
jb, really!?
regular_smile.gif
it's sounds like such a small issue, but it was not a nice night's sleep having the sheets all bunched up and i was alone ...
and i don't twist the night away in my sleep. ha!
it was on cape cod and i am letting it go. (no review)
but i am not recommending her place and WON'T be sending them to her. really, all she had to say was 'i'm sorry .. i will look into it'. i'm giving her the benefit of the doubt but why pull an attitude?
if she has staff, which i believe she does, then they need to be told to check the sheet sizes. a royal pain, but important. and they should be marking the sheets for size (we've talked about this on forum a lot)
if it was a mixup, you know darn well when you're making the bed that the sheets are not fitting.
if she's got the wrong size linens, then she's in for a big problem going into the busy season in two weeks! this place was not inexpensive.

I bought mattress pads with the same problem. While discussing this with the technical librarian at my local library (yes they ARE helpful!) she told me to buy the next size up. (Does not work for king mattresses.) So, for the double, buy a queen; for the queen, buy a king. You could buy a Cal king for a standard king.
Madeleine said:
You could buy a Cal king for a standard king.
Cal kings are already 4" narrower than standard kings, so their toppers would end up 8" too narrow for a standard king (but their length would be perfect since Cal kings are 4" longer than standard kings).
I hate this. There must be some reason they all make toppers too small, but I can't imagine what it is!

Madeleine said:
Cal kings are already 4" narrower than standard kings, so their toppers would end up 8" too narrow for a standard king (but their length would be perfect since Cal kings are 4" longer than standard kings).
I hate this. There must be some reason they all make toppers too small, but I can't imagine what it is!
I thought Cal kings were square?

Madeleine said:
[/quote]
Sure you can Arks.
[h4]
$[/h4]

Madeleine said:
Madeleine said:
No, compared to a standard king, California's are 4" narrower and 4" longer (making them great for tall thin people, or spaces too narrow to hold a standard king).
Mattress-Sizes.jpg

well ... i don't know about the memory foam ... and why sizing is not made to match up to the mattress ... that's just silly.
jb, really!?
regular_smile.gif
it's sounds like such a small issue, but it was not a nice night's sleep having the sheets all bunched up and i was alone ...
but i am not recommending her place and WON'T be sending them to her. really, all she had to say was 'i'm sorry .. i will look into it'. i'm giving her the benefit of the doubt but why pull an attitude?
if she has staff, which i believe she does, then they need to be told to check the sheet sizes. a royal pain, but important. and they should be marking the sheets for size (we've talked about this on forum a lot)
if it was a mixup, you know darn well when you're making the bed that the sheets are not fitting.
if she's got the wrong size linens, then she's in for a big problem going into the busy season in two weeks! this place was not inexpensive..
Sometimes innkeepers are just cranky...
We were asked once, "How was your room & everything?" one morning after breakfast. No other guests around and we quietly said, "Well, since you asked...we had no hot water for our showers this morning!" Innkeeper says: "That has NEVER happened before!! I'm sure there's some mistake."
I didn't know that cold water was a mistake...

jb, really!?
regular_smile.gif
if she's got the wrong size linens, then she's in for a big problem going into the busy season in two weeks! this place was not inexpensive..
We were asked once, "How was your room & everything?" one morning after breakfast. No other guests around and we quietly said, "Well, since you asked...we had no hot water for our showers this morning!" Innkeeper says: "That has NEVER happened before!! I'm sure there's some mistake."
I have a 30 gallon tank and on several occasions I have ha 2 guests who drained all the hot water with showers. It is gas so it does reheat rather quickly - but not quickly enough!

jb, really!?
regular_smile.gif
I have a 30 gallon tank and on several occasions I have ha 2 guests who drained all the hot water with showers. It is gas so it does reheat rather quickly - but not quickly enough!
This was a large place with a set breakfast time, so you'd think that they would have the hot water issue nailed down. Our second house had 3 hot water heaters for the 3 rooms with large tubs + showers and one of them is a 60 gallon! We have two here and one is for the upstairs only...it is quite large for 2 or 3 rooms. You have to plan...
Plus, the point was that we had very cold showers. We weren't lying! I suspect no one had ever said anything before.

Back