Should I Say Anything?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Banana

Reaction score
It seems silly to ask opinions on this, but what the hey. I've got a lovely foreign couple here from Germany, she is pregnant, they are very nice, quiet, non-intrusive, respectful...just great guests and here for four days. The type of guests you really want to have a nice experience and you "click" with, do more for, etc. Normally with a four day stay, I do a sheet change after day two. Somehow I got sidetracked yesterday (the change day) and forgot. I did freshen their room, but I must have gotten called away by the phone, or something before doing it. Anyway, they've already said this morning that they are taking it easy today and plan to spend all day in the room to recover from their busy day yesterday, and they don't need anything done in their room. It wasn't until they said this that I realized I hadn't changed the sheets yesterday. I couldn't recover from trying to remember why I didn't change them to say something like "Oh my gosh, I'm sorry I didn't do a normal linen change yesterday - would you like me to do that today?"
Do I say anything when they check out tomorrow? I hate to let them leave thinking that it's normal to not change their sheets after four nights!

In a word FERGITABOUDIT!! There is no way to rectify it now and it will imconvenience them if they have to leave the room to do the change. There is ONLY one more night. They will just think you are being ECO and that is supposed to be a plus - right?
They said all was fine and they were just going to rest. Do not interrupt that rest - THAT could be even more embarrassing.

Family here for 5 days has not had their sheets changed.
Don't say anything, there is no law that says you have to change the sheets after 2 days (OK, in some places there is). Chances are they are not going to go home and say, 'It was lovely, but they didn't change the sheets!!!'

Four nights is no big deal, don't sweat it! They want to relax and that is what you are giving them.

All must be well..don't say any thing or worry about it. If everything looked ok when you straightened up yesterday..then you are just fine.

I wouldn't worry about it if that is the biggest problem I doubt they even noticed. Some places don't change your sheets at all. I do it after 3.

Our guests get a linens change after two day with new towels on request. However, I KNOW DW does not change the sheets on our bed every two days.
wink_smile.gif

Thanks for all your input/opinions. I guess I needed someone to tell me not to feel too guilty about it!

B, don't let something so minor make you feel guilt. They are/were loving their stay.

We had an elderly mom and her daughter for the last five nights. That sweet old lady wouldn't let me do anything for her. She wouldn't let me change their sheets mid-stay, and the last couple mornings they were the only guests, and she wouldn't let us cook breafkast for them either. She said "That's just silly to cook a full breakfast for only two people". I did finally talk them into fruit bowls and sticky buns each morning, but Jeeezzz....way to get my OCD jumping!

We had an elderly mom and her daughter for the last five nights. That sweet old lady wouldn't let me do anything for her. She wouldn't let me change their sheets mid-stay, and the last couple mornings they were the only guests, and she wouldn't let us cook breafkast for them either. She said "That's just silly to cook a full breakfast for only two people". I did finally talk them into fruit bowls and sticky buns each morning, but Jeeezzz....way to get my OCD jumping!.
But folks...please...this is why it is called a Bed & Breakfast. :)

Yes, contrary to what you might read here, we all really DO enjoy what we do! I like to spoil people, and if I couldn't cook them breakfast or tidy their room with little surprises placed in the room...I'd feel worthless. I do this job to make others feel good - which makes me feel good. Let me do it!
Oh, but hey...don't expect it. I don't like that so much. Hahaha...

We had an elderly mom and her daughter for the last five nights. That sweet old lady wouldn't let me do anything for her. She wouldn't let me change their sheets mid-stay, and the last couple mornings they were the only guests, and she wouldn't let us cook breafkast for them either. She said "That's just silly to cook a full breakfast for only two people". I did finally talk them into fruit bowls and sticky buns each morning, but Jeeezzz....way to get my OCD jumping!.
That is SO sweet! We get that a lot in the winter, when there are only 1 or 2 rooms here..."Oh, please don't go to all that trouble just for us!". Genuinely nice. But you're paying for it so you get the whole show, soup to nuts
regular_smile.gif

All the water in our house is pumped as the mains pressure isn't very good. A couple of winters ago we had a group of elderly Australians staying and the pump blew up. No showers, no flushing toilets, no drinking water.
This happened on their first morning, but we struggled by with breakfast and they went out for the day. By their return in the evening the repair man has decided a new pump was necessary and it wouldn't be available until at least the next day. When the Australians returned in the evening I had made arrangements with another B&B for them to stay there but they said "No, we don't want to move, we want to stay here". I explained about no showers etc, but they insisted on staying with us. So we gave them bottled water, and we filled buckets from the pond for flushing the toilets.
And to my relief whilst we struggled with breakfast a 2nd morning the pump repair mans van pulled into the drive and before they went out for the day the water supply was back.
I felt so guilty about it and of course discounted their bill but they refused that too insisting on paying the full price saying it was "all part of the adventure of our holiday". When I think of how difficult some people would have been over this, but these people were so tollerant and delightful.

Yes, contrary to what you might read here, we all really DO enjoy what we do! I like to spoil people, and if I couldn't cook them breakfast or tidy their room with little surprises placed in the room...I'd feel worthless. I do this job to make others feel good - which makes me feel good. Let me do it!
Oh, but hey...don't expect it. I don't like that so much. Hahaha....
You've intrigued me. What kind of little surprises?

All the water in our house is pumped as the mains pressure isn't very good. A couple of winters ago we had a group of elderly Australians staying and the pump blew up. No showers, no flushing toilets, no drinking water.
This happened on their first morning, but we struggled by with breakfast and they went out for the day. By their return in the evening the repair man has decided a new pump was necessary and it wouldn't be available until at least the next day. When the Australians returned in the evening I had made arrangements with another B&B for them to stay there but they said "No, we don't want to move, we want to stay here". I explained about no showers etc, but they insisted on staying with us. So we gave them bottled water, and we filled buckets from the pond for flushing the toilets.
And to my relief whilst we struggled with breakfast a 2nd morning the pump repair mans van pulled into the drive and before they went out for the day the water supply was back.
I felt so guilty about it and of course discounted their bill but they refused that too insisting on paying the full price saying it was "all part of the adventure of our holiday". When I think of how difficult some people would have been over this, but these people were so tollerant and delightful.
Aussies are true blue mate!

For that couple, I made them some chocolate covered strawberries one day and a fruit/cheese tray the next. I also bought them a small baby picture frame (Big Lots - $3) since she is pregnant, and it's their first. If I really like the guests, and especially if it's a longer stay or they are repeats, I'll buy a $10 gift card to a local favorite restaurant for lunch, or for our famous confectionary in the historic shopping area downtown. Just little things to let them know I appreciate their business, because I truly do. Times are tough right now, and the fact that people are still vacationing and spending their money is a very good thing.

For that couple, I made them some chocolate covered strawberries one day and a fruit/cheese tray the next. I also bought them a small baby picture frame (Big Lots - $3) since she is pregnant, and it's their first. If I really like the guests, and especially if it's a longer stay or they are repeats, I'll buy a $10 gift card to a local favorite restaurant for lunch, or for our famous confectionary in the historic shopping area downtown. Just little things to let them know I appreciate their business, because I truly do. Times are tough right now, and the fact that people are still vacationing and spending their money is a very good thing.
Wow that is very nice of you. Fruit and cheese trays and choc covered strawberries are not cheap and do take your time as well. Does your room rate at least help reimburse you for those things? OR do you write them off as "marketing" for guests? Got to find someway to make it a WIN WIN situation for all.

Sometimes it is the little things you "just do" for people that bring them back again and again - and if not them, their friends & family. And you never know which ones will be impressed so it is worth it. Giving up a bit of profit (IMNVHO) now (in cases like this) should be looked at as an investment in the future.

Giving those little extras....
I know why one does this........I do it.
However......people take them in many ways......some don't notice......some might notice.......not to many think it's something extra, most take the impression it is standard....few, would even identify it as a nice gesture
How people view these nice extras depends on how it is given...
If you do give.................tell them.........I know it may seem petty of you to be telling them....or you maybe seen in the light of pushing for a tip........who cares what they think in their own mind...........always make a point to tell them that you are giving them this or that....which is above and beyond of what the business arrangement is.
Also.........remember the bottom line is what you are working for........not to give it away........bills have to paid.........repairs and upkeep has to be maintained......profit for the future has to be established.
We all have those gut feelings as to who you want to do something nice for.....and for those that would appreciate it.
I am in no way saying not to do nice things.........just avoid the problem of it being expected all the time

Back