Should I Take a Woman Who Might Go Into Labor?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, no reservation had been made. Honestly, I think this is an isolated incident as I have not had to deal with it in the past. I have tried the plastic lined mattress cover and had complaints that it made too much noise. I guess you just can't win. I'm happy to put this to bed about now..
SweetiePie said:
I have tried the plastic lined mattress cover and had complaints that it made too much noise.
Not the plastic lined ones, they now make them with a teflon shield.

No, no reservation had been made. Honestly, I think this is an isolated incident as I have not had to deal with it in the past. I have tried the plastic lined mattress cover and had complaints that it made too much noise. I guess you just can't win. I'm happy to put this to bed about now..
Yes the plastic or vinyl lined matress covers are horrible.... avoid them ...unless you have a known bed wetter. There are great breathable matress covers that make no sound and don't reflect body heat the way plastic does, yet are waterproof. I highly recommend them whether you are catering to babymooners or not.
swirt said:
Yes the plastic or vinyl lined matress covers are horrible.... avoid them ...unless you have a known bed wetter. There are great breathable matress covers that make no sound and don't reflect body heat the way plastic does, yet are waterproof. I highly recommend them whether you are catering to babymooners or not.
I'm going to have look for those. I got the plastic ones last year and they are noisy. But only on some beds. It must be a combo of the plastic and the mattress cover material.

Not a big problem as I don't usually get bedwetters, however good to know. What's it called and where do I get one?

Not a big problem as I don't usually get bedwetters, however good to know. What's it called and where do I get one?.
SweetiePie said:
Not a big problem as I don't usually get bedwetters, however good to know. What's it called and where do I get one?
Not just bedwetters, wine spillers will make a colossal mess as well. And then there's my grape soda guest from the summer...soaked everything.

SweetiePie said:
I have tried the plastic lined mattress cover and had complaints that it made too much noise.
I have noticed (not sure if it is just the brand we purchased) that the teflon shield does start to break down after a couple of years. So we have started replacing them every 2 years even though they look fine.
Have you found the same thing with yours?

Not a big problem as I don't usually get bedwetters, however good to know. What's it called and where do I get one?.
SweetiePie said:
Not just bedwetters, wine spillers will make a colossal mess as well. And then there's my grape soda guest from the summer...soaked everything.
Bree said:
our biggest offenders are coffee & blood

SweetiePie said:
Usually they are just called waterproof mattress protectors or teflon coated mattress pads. I don't trust buying them online because I have to be able to feel them to make sure they are not vinyl or noisy.

SweetiePie said:
NW BB said:
SweetiePie said:
Teflon is made from the chemical ammonium perfluorooctanoate, also known as C8. It is very controversial and studies are being done as it can be harmful to your health.

SweetiePie said:
Bree said:
our biggest offenders are coffee & blood
Don't even get me started about blood. I wasn't going to say anything, but since you brought it up. I'm convinced somebody [left a mess - edited by swirt in response to a complaint] here a few years back. It was a young college couple who left prematuredly and apologized profusely. They tried to clean it up but it was still a mess. I didn't charge them because they were young and struggling, but I'm sure that incident influenced me somewhat on this one.

SweetiePie said:
I have noticed (not sure if it is just the brand we purchased) that the teflon shield does start to break down after a couple of years. So we have started replacing them every 2 years even though they look fine.
Even though they're water proof, they still stain, and around here we have to buy new ones about every 8 months. A few years ago I had a guest who was a nurse and she actually took the sheets off the bed and flipped out because there was a stain (not new, we had bleached it) on the mattress pad. After that, we don't take any chances and we replace frequently.

SweetiePie said:
NW BB said:
SweetiePie said:
Teflon is made from the chemical ammonium perfluorooctanoate, also known as C8. It is very controversial and studies are being done as it can be harmful to your health.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
That's a bit like saying water is made from hydrogen which is very explosive. ;) C8 is part of the production process, but it is not part of Teflon once it becomes Teflon. Teflon as a material is pretty inert. That's why they use it in surgical instruments and even body replacement parts. It's only hazards come at high temperatures like 400 -700 degrees F. If anyone sleeping in my bed gets that hot, it is not the teflon I would worry about ;)
There were some scare headlines several years ago that said cooking with teflon could be hazardous to pet birds in the kitchen (no jokes about frying chickens) that left out the part that the bi-products of cooking with oils was more dangerous to birds.
C8 was found in small levels on newly coated pans. It outgases rapidly at relatively low temperatures so if in doubt, boil some water or fry some waste fat the first time a pan is used. If you are really concerned about it being in the sheets, toss them in the dryer before using it the first time.

SweetiePie said:
Even though they're water proof, they still stain, and around here we have to buy new ones about every 8 months. A few years ago I had a guest who was a nurse and she actually took the sheets off the bed and flipped out because there was a stain (not new, we had bleached it) on the mattress pad. After that, we don't take any chances and we replace frequently.
NW BB said:
I run the mattress pads thru the sanitize cycle on the washer. Even with pre treating and bleach in the wash, no guarantees that it is going to be pristine when it comes out. I have a very 'pouffy' bed because the ones that I can't make look brand new I put on my bed. Princess and the pea style. I'm up to 3 right now. It's quite comfy!

SweetiePie said:
NW BB said:
I run the mattress pads thru the sanitize cycle on the washer. Even with pre treating and bleach in the wash, no guarantees that it is going to be pristine when it comes out. I have a very 'pouffy' bed because the ones that I can't make look brand new I put on my bed. Princess and the pea style. I'm up to 3 right now. It's quite comfy!
Hah ... that's a good one to add to the "You might be an innkeeper.." list
You might be an innkeeper if your own pillowtop mattress consist of 3 older mattress covers stacked on top of each other.
tounge_smile.gif

SweetiePie said:
NW BB said:
SweetiePie said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
That's a bit like saying water is made from hydrogen which is very explosive. ;) C8 is part of the production process, but it is not part of Teflon once it becomes Teflon. Teflon as a material is pretty inert. That's why they use it in surgical instruments and even body replacement parts. It's only hazards come at high temperatures like 400 -700 degrees F. If anyone sleeping in my bed gets that hot, it is not the teflon I would worry about ;)
There were some scare headlines several years ago that said cooking with teflon could be hazardous to pet birds in the kitchen (no jokes about frying chickens) that left out the part that the bi-products of cooking with oils was more dangerous to birds.
C8 was found in small levels on newly coated pans. It outgases rapidly at relatively low temperatures so if in doubt, boil some water or fry some waste fat the first time a pan is used. If you are really concerned about it being in the sheets, toss them in the dryer before using it the first time.
Spontaneous human combustion eh? Looks like this topic ignited quite a firestorm. Pun intended.

SweetiePie said:
NW BB said:
You might be an innkeeper if your own pillowtop mattress consist of 3 older mattress covers stacked on top of each other.
tounge_smile.gif

swirt said:
tounge_smile.gif
Never thought of putting it on that list...good one. You also know you're an innkeeper if all of your sheet 'sets' aren't.

SweetiePie said:
NW BB said:
tounge_smile.gif

swirt said:
tounge_smile.gif
Never thought of putting it on that list...good one. You also know you're an innkeeper if all of your sheet 'sets' aren't.
Bree said:
swirt said:
tounge_smile.gif
Ha! Now that's true as my own bed has a flowered top sheet and a white bottom sheet!
=)
Kk.

SweetiePie said:
Usually they are just called waterproof mattress protectors or teflon coated mattress pads. I don't trust buying them online because I have to be able to feel them to make sure they are not vinyl or noisy.
We got ours at Macy`s and they are great. It creates a whole lot of peace of mind knowing they are on there.

And no kids, no seniors, no wine drinkers, etc, etc..
You never know what could happen with any guest. Someone could be sick and vomit all over your carpet. What liability would you need? If on the odd chance her water did break it wouldn't break your bank to get the carpet spot cleaned if necessary..
That's why I didn't understand the question
wink_smile.gif

SweetiePie said:
I found some at WalMart for $9 each for Queen size. I now have the mattress covers, a waterproof pad in the middle, Ralph Lauren fluffy mattress pads, then the sheets. What's next?? tee hee...

We got ours at Khools...they work fine, never had a problem. Although I would never not take a reservation because someone is close to childbirth. I've had 4 and my water broke with two and it was a trickle, no big wave coming down. Haven't had many stains on the sheets yet, but I always soak and sanitize my mattress pads.

Back