Should I Take a Woman Who Might Go Into Labor?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SweetiePie

Reaction score
I spoke to a pastor who wants to bring his wife for a romantic getaway and chose our place because it was close enough that he could get her to the hospital if she went into labor. I joked and said we never had a live birth here before.
Now he actually wants to book and I'm having second thoughts. We just renovated and I have brand new carpets and linens. I'm worried about damage if her water should break, same reason we no longer take pets.
Also, I'm concerned about possible liability if anything should go wrong. I sounded encouraging in the first call but now I'm not sure what to tell him.

Seems like you'd be asking to become famous as the innkeeper who told the pregnant pastor's wife that there is "no room at the inn." That probably wouldn't go over well.

We get a lot of very pregnant guests who stay with us as their last getaway before birth. If you have a hospital relatively near by I wouldn't worry about it.
The closest call we ever had was when we heard a car leaving our parking lot about 2:00am. It turns out they packed up when she went into labor (way too early) and drove to the ER. They were able to stop the labor and the couple came back here because they didn't want to miss one of our breakfasts! Now I took that as a compliment!

Huh? So you do have a hospital nearby? Would you refuse an elderly person on the off chance that they might be incontinent? I'm not sure I understand the question...

Huh? So you do have a hospital nearby? Would you refuse an elderly person on the off chance that they might be incontinent? I'm not sure I understand the question....
I think she is worried about her linens getting damaged from the water breakage or blood..or whatever comes out. I had never thought about an incontinent person but that would fall in the same category.

I would worry about liability telling them no.
"Sorry we just cleaned our carpets. No dogs or expecting mothers allowed."

Anything can happen at any time. The carpets are cleanable and if you put a plastic sheet on the bed, you don't have to worry about the mattress.
They may not even book. I've had plenty of calls that were very excited and hopeful and never panned out. What I would NOT do is any spa treatments if she is really far along.

And no kids, no seniors, no wine drinkers, etc, etc..
You never know what could happen with any guest. Someone could be sick and vomit all over your carpet. What liability would you need? If on the odd chance her water did break it wouldn't break your bank to get the carpet spot cleaned if necessary.

SweetiePie said:
Sorry folks, I have to disagree with you. This is my first Baby Moon so give me a break. I think this concept was thought up in the back room of a hotel by some overzealous marketing person wanting to fill rooms during the slow season. Anyway, it apparently has become very popular.
I've been doing Babymoons for 3 years now and haven't had any issues. The way I would approach it given the father is concerned is to encourage him to plan a trip AFTER the baby comes, when they need some time alone again. However, new fathers are notoriously overprotective. I've had them call and ask about stairs. Hello. Wimmin have been birthin' babies since time began, a couple of steps aren't going to be the end of the world.
Because you are concerned, that will be telegraphed to the guests. You're not comfortable, they won't be comfortable, you're right to pass. However, you may want to rethink offering a package that will cause you grief everytime someone books it.

Thanks Bree. I don't have a Baby Moon Package and I won't be adding one. I'm referring him to a local B&B that does offer one and it is downtown near local hospitals.

my gosh! how 'imminent' is the birth?
have you had children? i am not being fresh in asking this -- was there a huge mess when labor started?
why not just put extra padding on the bed 'just in case'?
by the way, i have done laundry after family members (self included) went into labor at home with the 'water breaking' and everything got washed up no problem. a few 'rebel' births happened in the home and THAT is when sheets got soiled
it occurs to me that a sweet minister's wife going into labor at your place might generate more valuable good publicity for you than the expense of replacing a sheet or cleaning a rug could buy (which i don't think is going to be necessary)
very likely she won't go into labor at your place. and if she does, off they will go. it doesn't usually start with water gushing, it starts with cramps. but if water breaks in the night, extra padding and your less than perfect sheets should be on the bed (if you have any)
most innkeepers start out with gorgeous sheet and towel sets and then the stains start, and the little tears, and we get upset because our perfect set is 'ruined'. and we come in here for advice about how to clean and to complain about the stains. after a time we realize it's part of being in the hospitality industry. and then we put a smile on our faces and go back to business.
i can't imagine any liability issues for you unless she was encouraged to participate in some activities at this late stage like if you suggested she take a soak in a hot tub which i believe is a no-no. if you are that concerned, ask your insurance agent.

I don't think it was thought up as a marketing ploy. It was thought up by couples who are soon to be parents and are depserate to have one last shot at a normal "couple's vacation" before their life gets altered significantly by the arrival of a little one. The term just gives to-be-parents a way to search for it. ;)
I think the concern about a damaging flood is largely a bit of hollywood comic relief/myth. My understanding (having been through a few recent childbirthing classes) is that roughly only 1 in 10 will have their waters break prior to full blown labor. And when the water does break, the flow is more likely to wet their underwear than soak the carpet. Granted, I' a man and have no such experience, but I did pay attention in class ;)
http://pregnancy.about.com/od/laborbasics/ss/waterbroken.htm

I don't think it was thought up as a marketing ploy. It was thought up by couples who are soon to be parents and are depserate to have one last shot at a normal "couple's vacation" before their life gets altered significantly by the arrival of a little one. The term just gives to-be-parents a way to search for it. ;)
I think the concern about a damaging flood is largely a bit of hollywood comic relief/myth. My understanding (having been through a few recent childbirthing classes) is that roughly only 1 in 10 will have their waters break prior to full blown labor. And when the water does break, the flow is more likely to wet their underwear than soak the carpet. Granted, I' a man and have no such experience, but I did pay attention in class ;)
http://pregnancy.about.com/od/laborbasics/ss/waterbroken.htm.
I always worried about this when preggers the first time. What if??? I had friends who would grab a bottle of apple juice off the shelf the minute they walked into a grocery store and lug it around 'just in case'. They were going to drop the bottle on the floor if their water broke. Yikes. I figured I'd deal with the embarrassment and never shop there again.
wink_smile.gif

No gushers here.
Likewise Hollywood hoopla is the fire hydrant shooting a geyser into the air...nope, doesn't happen in real life, even if your car drags the hydrant right out of the ground and down the street. Do not ask how I know this...

Sorry folks, I have to disagree with you. This is my first Baby Moon so give me a break. I think this concept was thought up in the back room of a hotel by some overzealous marketing person wanting to fill rooms during the slow season. Anyway, it apparently has become very popular.
I don't hate pregnant women but the issue here is the timing. I took some time to do a little research and it is recommended that the Baby Moon occur during the 2nd trimester or early 3rd trimester, not when birth is imminent.
We are 20 minutes away from the nearest large city with a hospital and the hospital itself, depending upon which one would be 30 to 45 minutes away. The husband himself expressed concerns that it could occur at any time and we all know that getting frisky can induce labor. I just don't want to put myself in the middle of this possible drama.
There was no firm reservation made and I posted this when he actually called back to make the reservation. So I think I'm going to use my better judgment and pass on this one.

All's well that ends well. The pastor left the church number as a call back number and I got his receptionist. She was very pleasant and happy to get the referral.
I'm sure the B&B will happy to get the referral as well, and much better prepared to handle any eventuality. Sometimes a well-placed referral is the best way to go.

Really now, I think there are far more important things to worry about than this. I also am about 30 minutes to the nearest hospital. What will you do if guests make a reservation and you don't know she's in her 3rd trimester until you see her at your front door??
We learned after the first couple of years to only buy mattress covers that are waterproof. Stained sheets and linens are just a part of doing business.
Our last really pregnant couple was so pregnant that when they went out for the day to sightsee, they packed up their things and put them in the car just in case they needed to make a quick to the hospital or back home. Again, not a big deal.
Anything can happen at any time to people. I had someone almost die and would have if I hadn't told his wife she had to take him to the ER.
If you market yourself to be romantic, or relaxing, or quiet getaway, you're going to have pregnant women.

All's well that ends well. The pastor left the church number as a call back number and I got his receptionist. She was very pleasant and happy to get the referral.
I'm sure the B&B will happy to get the referral as well, and much better prepared to handle any eventuality. Sometimes a well-placed referral is the best way to go..
Are you saying that you DID make the reservation, then call back to refer him to someone else?

No, no reservation had been made. Honestly, I think this is an isolated incident as I have not had to deal with it in the past. I have tried the plastic lined mattress cover and had complaints that it made too much noise. I guess you just can't win. I'm happy to put this to bed about now.

No, no reservation had been made. Honestly, I think this is an isolated incident as I have not had to deal with it in the past. I have tried the plastic lined mattress cover and had complaints that it made too much noise. I guess you just can't win. I'm happy to put this to bed about now..
Yes the plastic or vinyl lined matress covers are horrible.... avoid them ...unless you have a known bed wetter. There are great breathable matress covers that make no sound and don't reflect body heat the way plastic does, yet are waterproof. I highly recommend them whether you are catering to babymooners or not.

Back