Should I think about being an innsitter?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 26

Reaction score
so, the inn is for sale and, after this season, i am moving on. i'd rather not go into the details of the 'inn saga', so please don't ask me as i'm sad about it. anyway, i'm exploring my options. my degree is in business administration and i could seek office work again. have driven my past employers crazy!!!
wink_smile.gif
painting murals in their offices and redecorating, and serving up coffee and treats to clients as i present proposals and bills. sound familiar?
had innsitters as guests this week who encourged me to inn-sit. they belong to a group that collectively advertises.
if i do offer myself as in inn-sitter, what should i call myself? just use my name or go with a professional little 'company' name or something silly? your thoughts?

I think it would be fun to come up with a fun or quirky name that people will remember. Inn sitting might be a good thing. I know in some areas there are shortages of them. I think it could be fun to work in different b & b's. Could you ever open up another b & b in the future?

Something that inspires confidence. You could use your name with a catchy tag line.
"SeaShanty Smith, PITA slayer'

If you became an Innsitter, would you only work locally or would you travel? If you would travel, who pays your expenses to get to the Inn you would sit for? Could you make enough money to support yourself? From everything that I have heard you say on this board I can tell you would be the best of the best
regular_smile.gif

They would be beating a path to your door. One of my members was desparate to find an innsitter last year so they could go on a delayed honeymoon.
I think several on this Forum have used innsitters. I think you would be wonderful as an innsitter. Plus a larger inn would not phase you - you will think you are on vacation with 4 or 5 rooms and 6 will be a snap!

well, my goodness, how kind of you! i think the biggest challenges would be doing things exactly the way the owner wants and being familiar with the various reservation and bookkeeping systems.
i don't know what inn-sitters charge -- or are able to earn -- but i have earned very little as an innkeeper and managed (as long as i am able to have backup housing between 'gigs' it could work). just exploring, it may not be the path i take.
from my research so far, i'm finding a number of 9 to 12 room places with owners who employ innkeepers all the time, they do not run the inns. this surprised me. i am most familiar with owner/innkeepers who work 24/7 to get it all done alone ... whether it's a couple or a single innkeeper.

well, my goodness, how kind of you! i think the biggest challenges would be doing things exactly the way the owner wants and being familiar with the various reservation and bookkeeping systems.
i don't know what inn-sitters charge -- or are able to earn -- but i have earned very little as an innkeeper and managed (as long as i am able to have backup housing between 'gigs' it could work). just exploring, it may not be the path i take.
from my research so far, i'm finding a number of 9 to 12 room places with owners who employ innkeepers all the time, they do not run the inns. this surprised me. i am most familiar with owner/innkeepers who work 24/7 to get it all done alone ... whether it's a couple or a single innkeeper..
You would be a great innsitter! I have some time off booked in the next few months if you want to give it a shot here. Also, this was posted on the PAII boards as an opportunity - if you want the info, email me and I will give you the contact. I didn't want to post it in case it is sensitive.
ThIs VA B&B is taking applications for a full time person or couple to work with and partner with Nameless, the owner who is a single Master Innkeeper. I am looking for either an experienced assistant(s) Innkeeper, or an inexperienced person(s) to intern/apprentice as assistant Innkeeper(s). On-site lodging is required and is provided as part of the compensation package in a new apartment on the first floor of the Inn. Monetary compensation is in the form of a salary at the management level for assistant Innkeepers, or at a training level for inexperienced innkeepers. Salary levels will be negotiated depending on your qualifications but will be competitive with the going rate for B&B cottage industry. If you know of anyone, give em a call.

You'd be a fantastic innsitter! I don't know how secure/steady the work is though. I guess a lot depends on your willingness to travel.
I know of an inn in this area that is (was as of the Spring anyway) looking for someone to be the innkeeper long term. I'd be more than happy to contact the owner and see if they still need someone if you have any interest. (I'll email you the website)

I, too, think you'd be a fantastic innsitter, and would recommend you in a heartbeat. In fact, I wish I were going somewhere and could afford to hire you! You'd be fabulous at it! But... obviously you'd have to travel, and not be settled in one spot...
Or... could you buy your own inn somewhere? Or a house and convert it?
I think vacating is a very wise choice and I hope you land somewhere fabulous!!!
=)
Kk.

Seashanty, you have a knack! You would be a great innsitter but I think you'd be even better as an innkeeper for a large property. I don't know if you want something that is that big of a commitment though in light of just coming out of your present situation. Everyday I see how the large inn here could use someone that has a passion for it as opposed to their current staff!

Sorry to hear that, but know there are good things ahead for you!
Inn Sitting - what are you willing to do, and what is the norm for an innsitter? Maybe others can share their experiences.

I think you would be a wonderful innsitter and would work fine with anyone who really cares about their guests and B&B.
Riki

I can't remember the name of the site..but go to the PAII site and look at innsitters. You can get an idea of what folks charge and what they do. We have several on our site who mostly do VA.
You would be great at it...but right now..I just don't know how much income that would bring in for you. THings are pretty tight.
You would need to start marketing yourself pretty quickly...maybe send emails to the inns in Maine first. Folks need to get to know you before they will hire . Maybe you could do a few to build up some references. WE KNOW YOU ARE A GREAT INNKEEPER..but you have to build up a reputation as a GREAT INNSITTER.
Have you thought about looking for an innkeeper / manager position??? Sometimes there are listings at Paii or bbonline.
I know this is a tough situation you are in, but I think it is for the best that you move on with your life and think about YOU FIRST
kiss.gif

Best of luck in your search whatever it ends up for you.
I am glad you are now looking forward.

from my research so far, i'm finding a number of 9 to 12 room places with owners who employ innkeepers all the time, they do not run the inns. this surprised me. i am most familiar with owner/innkeepers who work 24/7 to get it all done alone ... whether it's a couple or a single innkeeper..
We just got the names of a couple who live on a boat and do innsitting. Obviously, they are somewhat limited to places where they can dock the boat and then get to the inn, but I'm thinking I might give them a call. (There IS a marina here.)

For completely selfish reasons, I hope you do become an innsitter! I'd trust you completely with my hypothetical B&B!
I think you'd be wonderful at innsitting or innkeeping. I did read about an innsitter couple that travelled in a RV with all their cooking/cleaning supplies. They were profiled in the How-To book that I'm currently carrying around with me everywhere. I think RV's look like so much fun, and that would solve the transportation and in-between lodging issues.

For completely selfish reasons, I hope you do become an innsitter! I'd trust you completely with my hypothetical B&B!
I think you'd be wonderful at innsitting or innkeeping. I did read about an innsitter couple that travelled in a RV with all their cooking/cleaning supplies. They were profiled in the How-To book that I'm currently carrying around with me everywhere. I think RV's look like so much fun, and that would solve the transportation and in-between lodging issues..
stephanie said:
I think you'd be wonderful at innsitting or innkeeping. I did read about an innsitter couple that travelled in a RV with all their cooking/cleaning supplies. They were profiled in the How-To book that I'm currently carrying around with me everywhere. I think RV's look like so much fun, and that would solve the transportation and in-between lodging issues.
RV's? You can buy a few right now. The roads are clear of them with the gas dilemma. Funny, a country singer who was born and raised here filmed a video this week at a local truck stop. Stop laughing, it is true! I laughed then read the local news about him. Anyway, he couldn't get out of dodge! I mean that literally, out of Nashville to get here, there is no fuel in TN and he couldn't get his butt over here with the crew to film with no gas.
I am sure there will be plenty of RV's for sale...are plenty.

I think you'd be wonderful at innsitting or innkeeping. I did read about an innsitter couple that travelled in a RV with all their cooking/cleaning supplies. They were profiled in the How-To book that I'm currently carrying around with me everywhere. I think RV's look like so much fun, and that would solve the transportation and in-between lodging issues..
stephanie said:
RV's? You can buy a few right now. The roads are clear of them with the gas dilemma. Funny, a country singer who was born and raised here filmed a video this week at a local truck stop. Stop laughing, it is true! I laughed then read the local news about him. Anyway, he couldn't get out of dodge! I mean that literally, out of Nashville to get here, there is no fuel in TN and he couldn't get his butt over here with the crew to film with no gas.
Yes, my friends went down to the Biltmore on Monday. I had plotted out a few side trips for them..but they couldn't go anywhere..as there was NO GAS in Asheville!!! They said the week before it was $5 a gallon there. They only had 1/2 tank left to get them over the MT on I-26 so they were afraid they would run out:-(
I had thought about renting an RV this summer and spending the summer driving across country to Grand Canyon and surrounds...so much for that plan!!! I bet it will never happen now because there is no way I am traveling and paying for something that gets like 4 miles to a gallon!!!!! OH well

stephanie said:
Yes, my friends went down to the Biltmore on Monday. I had plotted out a few side trips for them..but they couldn't go anywhere..as there was NO GAS in Asheville!!! They said the week before it was $5 a gallon there. They only had 1/2 tank left to get them over the MT on I-26 so they were afraid they would run out:-(
I had thought about renting an RV this summer and spending the summer driving across country to Grand Canyon and surrounds...so much for that plan!!! I bet it will never happen now because there is no way I am traveling and paying for something that gets like 4 miles to a gallon!!!!! OH well
I don't want to jinx myself but why are there gas shortages in some places? I haven't heard anyone around here say anything like that but hear it from guests from TX and other points south. I went to NY last weekend, no problems in the 5 states I drove thru. At least no problems on the highways with gas or the price of gas, which was running $3.75 give or take a nickel.

stephanie said:
I don't want to jinx myself but why are there gas shortages in some places? I haven't heard anyone around here say anything like that but hear it from guests from TX and other points south. I went to NY last weekend, no problems in the 5 states I drove thru. At least no problems on the highways with gas or the price of gas, which was running $3.75 give or take a nickel.
All they said was it had to do with the hurricane and no supplies being shipped in. Have no idea why there???

Back