Should I think about being an innsitter?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From what I heard on the radio the shortages are due to two things - people stock-piling when they thought the hurricane was going to disrupt the gas supply AND the grades of gas that are required for certain areas. there was a good supply of gas but not in the blend required for sale in some of the cities. Some blends require extra refining processes.

For completely selfish reasons, I hope you do become an innsitter! I'd trust you completely with my hypothetical B&B!
I think you'd be wonderful at innsitting or innkeeping. I did read about an innsitter couple that travelled in a RV with all their cooking/cleaning supplies. They were profiled in the How-To book that I'm currently carrying around with me everywhere. I think RV's look like so much fun, and that would solve the transportation and in-between lodging issues..
stephanie said:
For completely selfish reasons, I hope you do become an innsitter! I'd trust you completely with my hypothetical B&B!
I think you'd be wonderful at innsitting or innkeeping. I did read about an innsitter couple that travelled in a RV with all their cooking/cleaning supplies. They were profiled in the How-To book that I'm currently carrying around with me everywhere. I think RV's look like so much fun, and that would solve the transportation and in-between lodging issues.
RV's? You can buy a few right now. The roads are clear of them with the gas dilemma. Funny, a country singer who was born and raised here filmed a video this week at a local truck stop. Stop laughing, it is true! I laughed then read the local news about him. Anyway, he couldn't get out of dodge! I mean that literally, out of Nashville to get here, there is no fuel in TN and he couldn't get his butt over here with the crew to film with no gas.
I am sure there will be plenty of RV's for sale...are plenty.
Yes, my friends went down to the Biltmore on Monday. I had plotted out a few side trips for them..but they couldn't go anywhere..as there was NO GAS in Asheville!!! They said the week before it was $5 a gallon there. They only had 1/2 tank left to get them over the MT on I-26 so they were afraid they would run out:-(
I had thought about renting an RV this summer and spending the summer driving across country to Grand Canyon and surrounds...so much for that plan!!! I bet it will never happen now because there is no way I am traveling and paying for something that gets like 4 miles to a gallon!!!!! OH well
I don't want to jinx myself but why are there gas shortages in some places? I haven't heard anyone around here say anything like that but hear it from guests from TX and other points south. I went to NY last weekend, no problems in the 5 states I drove thru. At least no problems on the highways with gas or the price of gas, which was running $3.75 give or take a nickel.
Bree said:
I don't want to jinx myself but why are there gas shortages in some places? I haven't heard anyone around here say anything like that but hear it from guests from TX and other points south. I went to NY last weekend, no problems in the 5 states I drove thru. At least no problems on the highways with gas or the price of gas, which was running $3.75 give or take a nickel.
Did I tell y'all about the lady driving up to me and asking "Do you know where there is any gas!" Every service station in town was out. This was the week of hurricane Ike. That really put a lump in my throat.
My parents are west and coming back towing a 5th wheel and are having to plot it out and carry fuel in the back of their truck for those states. TENNESSEE is a very long state!

We just had a cancellation from guests coming from GA who couldn't find gas and heard that gas supplies thru NC were low, too.

We just had a cancellation from guests coming from GA who couldn't find gas and heard that gas supplies thru NC were low, too..
greyswan said:
We just had a cancellation from guests coming from GA who couldn't find gas and heard that gas supplies thru NC were low, too.
Have guests from Charlotte who are not here yet. Hm. Wonder what is going on around there. I think they two rooms will be here together, hopefully they can have a vehicle between them all that will make it here and get gas here.

We just had a cancellation from guests coming from GA who couldn't find gas and heard that gas supplies thru NC were low, too..
greyswan said:
Have guests from Charlotte who are not here yet. Hm. Wonder what is going on around there. I think they two rooms will be here together, hopefully they can have a vehicle between them all that will make it here and get gas here.
Question, what did you do? This is two rooms two nights, a big chunk of change for us. I will have to give a GC if they call to cancel. It is ALSO RAINING and they are here for a wine festival outside...?

Seashanty, I think you would be a wonderful innsitter. It is a path that I considered taking as well. I've looked into it briefly, but decided that with the kids and dh, it would just be TOO difficult to swing right now. I do know that on www.bbteam.com under the Needs/Wants section, there is a listing for an Inn Manager in FL...don't know how you would feel about that. You'd be going from one extreme to another, weather wise...
Good luck. I really hope you find what you are looking for. I also hope that you continue to post on this forum. It really won't be the same without you. You are a calming voice, always full of compassion and care.

greyswan said:
Question, what did you do? This is two rooms two nights, a big chunk of change for us. I will have to give a GC if they call to cancel. It is ALSO RAINING and they are here for a wine festival outside...?
My brother is in Charlotte and e-mailed that if he can find gas, he is coming up next week.

greyswan said:
Probably should have done the GC thing.. we just let them cancel. They are planning another weekend up and this time with more family members - their father was stationed at Camp Pickett in the 40's. Their room did book for one of the nights and we got an extra night from another guest already here, so it worked out for us

greyswan said:
My brother is in Charlotte and e-mailed that if he can find gas, he is coming up next week.
gillumhouse said:
They arrived and it was difficult to find gas they said. They drove most of the way on fumes.

Continuing off topic about the gas thing...
We had problems here. There was gas in the pipeline. Suppliers were getting their gas. They decided to jack up the prices because there "might" have been a shortage with the hurricane. There wasn't. When the price came down, people went for the gas because of the previously jacked up prices, creating a shortage. Our son couldn't get any gas in Atlanta at all...no grades. Here, you could get premium at a few places. Then, mid week when the new gas came in, the prices were still "low" and there is gas now. We have a much lower average salary in our State, are closer to the refineries, fuel tax is not as high as quite a few places, and we are paying 35 cents plus more than most of you folks up North. Hmmmm...

We had problems here. There was gas in the pipeline. Suppliers were getting their gas. They decided to jack up the prices because there "might" have been a shortage with the hurricane. There wasn't. When the price came down, people went for the gas because of the previously jacked up prices, creating a shortage. Our son couldn't get any gas in Atlanta at all...no grades. Here, you could get premium at a few places. Then, mid week when the new gas came in, the prices were still "low" and there is gas now. We have a much lower average salary in our State, are closer to the refineries, fuel tax is not as high as quite a few places, and we are paying 35 cents plus more than most of you folks up North. Hmmmm...
Due to Frontier Days, I have not been out the last couple days but saw from $3.97 to $4.05 depending on the station the other day.

Due to Frontier Days, I have not been out the last couple days but saw from $3.97 to $4.05 depending on the station the other day.
That is lower than here.

That is lower than here.
There was an article on the news last night about the SE shortages. Showed the pipeline route to the SE and how that grade is in low supply...so that is the problem. Here in VA the Gov. passed a law so that we can use lower grade gas temporarily.

What? Is this still true? What does that mean timewise, when you say after the season ends? I feel as though I am just getting to know you. And from all that I have read I think you will succeed in whatever you want to do.
After getting a large dose of the harsh reality of being an innkeeper, I was actually starting a topic to ask about innsitting ( cuz I didn't see anything on it anywhere ) when I did a search and this came up. Wow. I am still speechless.
Anyway, I am wondering if innsitting would be a good way to see if my dh and I are really cut out to be innkeepers. We currently have 6 weeks' vacation every year so we could feasibly do it this year before we have to make a decision about our future.
Also, we haven't researched what location we want to be in either, so that may help us experience different locations, inn sizes and management styles. I dunno, kind of sounds harder than having your own B&B.
I would love to get the usual assortment of feedback!

What? Is this still true? What does that mean timewise, when you say after the season ends? I feel as though I am just getting to know you. And from all that I have read I think you will succeed in whatever you want to do.
After getting a large dose of the harsh reality of being an innkeeper, I was actually starting a topic to ask about innsitting ( cuz I didn't see anything on it anywhere ) when I did a search and this came up. Wow. I am still speechless.
Anyway, I am wondering if innsitting would be a good way to see if my dh and I are really cut out to be innkeepers. We currently have 6 weeks' vacation every year so we could feasibly do it this year before we have to make a decision about our future.
Also, we haven't researched what location we want to be in either, so that may help us experience different locations, inn sizes and management styles. I dunno, kind of sounds harder than having your own B&B.
I would love to get the usual assortment of feedback!.
Actually, rather than taking over someone's business while they are away, when you haven't a clue what you're doing, your best bet would be a working vacation. You go to an inn that has a 'working vacation' program and you work. You do all the tasks, with direct oversight by the owners. This way you don't have the opportunity to destroy their reputation while they are trying to relax on vacation far away. They are right there, putting out all the fires you are creating!
You get to see if 'this is the life for me' (sing along everyone!) and the innkeepers make a few bucks letting you do their jobs.

If you have never worked in an inn or been an innkeeper...I sure wouldn't hire you to innsit for me. I would think most people would want to use someone with innkeeping experience. They don't want to leave their inn in the hands of someone who doesn't know what is going on..SORRY:-(

I don't think you can plan on innsitting as a first step...but, I did innsit at a small place for a weekend by myself before we bought our Inn. I had been to several aspiring classes, including one that this innkeeper taught, and she thought I had a pretty good idea of what was going on by that point. I don't think you will find many innkeepers who would do that, though. Plus, I worked for free that weekend - I just wanted the experience. It was not a busy season, either, and it was only three rooms, but I had one room the first night and two rooms the second night. And a water emergency because someone took a shower in the clawfoot without putting the shower curtain inside the tub. And a smoke alarm emergency because someone lit a fire in a fireplace without opening the damper. I learned a lot that weekend - mostly about what I wouldn't do if I had my own place!!
At least one organization of innsitters has training and certification available - that is Interim Innkeepers. I have heard of a Professional Association of Innsitters but don't know if they are still in business.

That is so helpful! Thank you!
I wouldn't expect or need to get paid, but I would definitely want to help build not trash the inn's business while the innkeeper was away. My experience is minimal, my family owned a B&B lodge many years ago, but that was before utilizing online technology. I will see what I can find out about training. Actually I like the working vacation idea you mentioned, Bree. I will do a Google search to find out more.

Test drive your dream job.
Take this job and love it.
You are not going to get paid to innsit with no experience and our inns are very CONFIDENTIAL, so not likely to just be opened up to a stranger while we are away. But you can PAY for the experience. Click here for more details
click here for the pgrm details

Thanks JBL, I will look into that further!
Let me repeat that I I really did not expect to be paid or to be an insitter without some kind of training, I wondered if this was a good way to see if we are compatible with innkeeping etc.
I looked quickly at that link and saw that it was a per person price, I wonder if it would be best if we did that as a couple or separately at two different places...or ?

Back