INNspiring.com | Innkeeper Forum & Innkeeping Resources

Help Support INNspiring.com | Innkeeper Forum & Innkeeping Resources:

Should this forum go private?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Samster

Reaction score
Definitely keep this forum open. So many folks mentioned over the years how helpful it was to them - aspiring innkeepers, both struggling and successful innkeeps, small hospitality property owners, owners of "non-traditional" B&B endeavors, professional association members, and people making the transition to their next adventure after selling their B&B/inn (to name a few). A closed forum is exclusive and doesn't promote the inclusiveness that has pretty much predominated the philosophy of the members. IMVVHO as we see this industry changing in the face of more Air propeties, unattended vacation stays, etc., I think the experience and wisdom here from many of my friends will only help those travelers and innkeepers who love this type of hospitality property.

GoodScout

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everyone knows what a cheapskate i am. Supporting this is worth the annual donation. Cheaper than a cover charge at a nightclub and it lasts longer.
ANd unlike a nightclub, no one hear cannever tel if uv had one too maneeeeeeeeeeeee. .... ,klonk.

royden

Reaction score
As an occasional visitor from England, I'm not going to vote but will give some thoughts. We have our own free but closed forum, BedPosts. It was started by a former B&B owner who moved into web hosting with his son and started the forum for the benefit of all in the industry.
So, he does check any new member to ensure that they are in the business, basically that they have a website. It takes him very little time and costs nothing except that little time. The downside is that folk not yet trading cannot join. The upside is that we have a closed forum where people can say what they like, ask what they like and share what they like - within reason. People can also stay on the forum after retirement and continue, if they wish, to share their opinions and experiences.
So, you can (not) pay your money and make your choice. Personally, I think that our system works well - but then I would!

OnTheShore

Reaction score
I'm for keeping it open, but an alternative, depending on the capabilities of the forum software we are using (and the people administering it), might be to create a sub-forum or section that is only accessible to registered users of the site and can't be browsed by guest users (including search engine bots). I've seen this on a couple of different forums that I frequent. As to monetary contributions, one option might be limit certain functionality to only those registered users who have paid a subscription -- I'm not sure what that would like look like here at Innspiring, but on another forum I frequent, you can only see the pictures posted by other users if you are a subscriber.

JimBoone

Reaction score
I think you misunderstand me. I'm not hiding my identity from you and from the other innkeepers here. Of course you can figure out who people are here. I know almost everybody. The purpose of using a pseudonym as a forum username is so our guests, and to a lesser extent, our local competition, can't Google our inn name, or our real name, and easily find our posts here.

I cannot speak openly here, about problems at the inn, or problem guests, if I know those guests, or potential guests, may easily run across and read my posts here by just typing my inn name into a Google search.
Arks, maybe I'm just blessed or see myself that way, I see the great majority of my guests, potential guest as friends or friends I haven't met yet, don't expect I'd run out of fingers and toes to count the handful over 30 years that I wouldn't want back as a visitor. I don't figure I have competition, lots of other rooms available and I'd be happy to share my secrets with those folks, am I going to suddenly get rich at this, probably not, but life is good. Now I could tell a tale or two, even wrote a short story about one visit, but too long to post.

Reaction score
There has been quite a few comments about privacy/sharing related to this forum since it's mostly for professionals. One option for this forum would be for it to go private. That would mean that access to the content would only be for validated members (which there would have to be an annual membership, something small like $15-25). So no content would be indexed by Google/search engines/guests. There would also be no more ads.

Further for security we would have to approve new members and validate them as owning an inn or rental. It would still be anonymous to other members though.

This would create more of a trade forum for professionals seen only by professionals.

Thoughts?
I vote for keeping it public.

I noticed one innkeeper had an issue with a guest finding and recognizing comments about said guest. My thoughts on that: if you don't want your rude behavior noted online, don't behave badly. ;)

B&B's are all so very different, and that's what our guests love about all of us. Sharing of experiences, details, amenities, everything is a show of support for each other. Let's keep it easy for aspiring innkeepers to find us and share the love!

Arks

Reaction score
I noticed one innkeeper had an issue with a guest finding and recognizing comments about said guest. My thoughts on that: if you don't want your rude behavior noted online, don't behave badly. ;)
It's not about behaving badly. Suppose an innkeeper has a problem in their inn where a guest brought in...you know, those little insects that like to live in mattresses and come out at night and bite people.

Would that innkeeper really want to make a post here, asking for advice on how to handle the infestation in their inn, if their user name here is their real name, or their inn name, so anyone Googling them or their inn would see the post?

That's why many of us chose not to use our real name or inn name. It's not just so we can say rude things about rude guests, though sometimes innkeepers DO need to get something of their chest. But sometimes people need real help with a problem they don't want to share with the whole world!

Morticia

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
It's not about behaving badly. Suppose an innkeeper has a problem in their inn where a guest brought in...you know, those little insects that like to live in mattresses and come out at night and bite people.

Would that innkeeper really want to make a post here, asking for advice on how to handle the infestation in their inn, if their user name here is their real name, or their inn name, so anyone Googling them or their inn would see the post?

That's why many of us chose not to use our real name or inn name. It's not just so we can say rude things about rude guests, though sometimes innkeepers DO need to get something of their chest. But sometimes people need real help with a problem they don't want to share with the whole world!
Then again, sometimes we just like to point out that a guest got a room for 50% off and ran the gas fireplace for the entire 3 day stay. Never once turning it off and only leaving their room to park themselves in the dining room from 7-12 and expecting us to dance attendance for five solid hours. Oops, did I mention that again?

But, yes, if you don’t want us talking about you before you leave try to be reasonable! (That, btw, was my mistake. I talked about her while she was still here.)

Iris

Reaction score
You don't understand why some innkeepers want to remain anonymous on a Google-searchable forum? If I was listed here with my name and my inn name, such that all my posts could be found by anyone who Google-searches my name or my inn name, wouldn't that seriously limit the honesty with which I could discuss problems with the inn or the guests? Isn't discussion of such problems exactly how this forum can help innkeepers?

There are only two ways we can have an honest forum that's also open to aspiring innkeepers to easily study and learn. Regulars here can remain anonymous, or they can absolutely not care if their guests, potential guests, and competition can read everything they have to say about their business. I sure wouldn't participate in "option 2".
No one here has ever named a guest by name. And why would anyone google to see if they've been discussed
Not to worry, it's all good. Just my opinion.

2cat_lady

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I'm very thankful this forum was public. Seven years ago when I was looking for an egg recipe, I accidentally came across this forum and I'm so thankful. Did I mention I was thankful? I was only open six months but the information I gleaned was invaluable and I don't know where we'd be if the members here hadn't shared their invaluable experience and took the time to look at our website and hold my hand through that first year. Although I haven't posted lately, I still log on and read comments and questions and answers and stories and rants.... Came to know one of the former members of this forum when they visited and developed friendships with others. That being said, I've just donated to the cause. Such a small gesture to keep this group going. I hope to stay on for at least another five years (retirement!) but there's always something new to learn.
Thanks to all for making this group what it is ❤

woodertea

Reaction score
Conflicted, I am. Is there anyway to keep certain threads open to the public, but limit other threads to members only? Also, I am working 60 hours a week and doing the inn stuff on the side right now, so this forum is worth more than $25 when I get the time to go through everything...still not sure how to vote. I need to come back to it, but if it goes private, we are definitely becoming members.

royden

Reaction score
It's that occasional visitor from England again. One thing that we don't have on our BedPosts forum, which as I said is free but private, is anonymity. We sure speak our minds but everyone on the forum knows who and where we are. I have made some good friends because of that, although there have been just a couple that I'd go out of my way to avoid.......

Arks

Reaction score
No one here has ever named a guest by name. And why would anyone google to see if they've been discussed
Not to worry, it's all good. Just my opinion.
??? I didn't say anything about naming a GUEST by name did I? I don't think so. Can't imagine someone doing that.

All I said is if YOU, the innkeeper on this forum, use YOUR OWN name as your screen name on this forum, or use your inn's name, a past or future guest might find your posts here if they google your inn's name, or your name, trying to make contact.

I'm sure I didn't say anything about a guest googling their own name to see if they had been discussed. That would be very strange indeed!

Silverspoon

Reaction score
This forum is a refuge for those of us who occasionally need to ask advice or vent and a godsend to those who are just starting out or inspiring innkeepers. If I had something really sensitive to post or ask I would probably ask a member or two in a private email. We all have our own expertise and it's not difficult for the regulars here to know who to contact for specific feedback. So I vote to keep the general forum public.

On another note, I don't do paypal and that is the only option I see when I try to become a subscribing member. What am I missing?

gillumhouse

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's that occasional visitor from England again. One thing that we don't have on our BedPosts forum, which as I said is free but private, is anonymity. We sure speak our minds but everyone on the forum knows who and where we are. I have made some good friends because of that, although there have been just a couple that I'd go out of my way to avoid.......
I am on it too - I believe thanks to you - and I agree about the out of the way to avoid.

M At QI

Reaction score
So far I have looked for answers on this forum without and have found it to be a wealth of information and the occasional needed smile. If it were private, I would have missed out on all that and been a much more frustrated housekeeper (small inn) for it. Thanks to all of you for the words of experience over the years.

Arks

Reaction score
I don't do paypal and that is the only option I see when I try to become a subscribing member. What am I missing?
  1. Select the BECOME A SUPPORTING MEMBER button.
  2. Select Purchase button beside your support level of choice.
  3. Select Create an Account (you're creating a PayPal subscription so it has to know your info)
  4. The next page let me pay with credit card. Did not require me to pay with Paypal. But you do create an account with your email address and a password. This so you can go in and cancel the subscription if you want to.
If you don't want to create a subscription (recurring payment) but just want to make a one-time donation, select the DONATE button. The next page lets you pay with credit card.

I paid last weekend and am still not listed as a Supporting Member. I guess it takes a while.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I will cast a "no" vote as a decidedly junior member. We bought our property a year ago now and have been pushing our way through endless renovations only to find ourselves in a global pandemic (with plenty still to do). I regularly read to get ideas and advice but would have probably shied away at a fee. Not yet a legit operator too... Anywho. I have thought about changing my "handle" as it narrows down my possible identities considerably (three possibilities once we actually open). How do I go about changing it?

Innkeep

Reaction score
I retired in September. I won’t vote due to my status, but after finishing this post I will go to the donate page. This is going to be a long slobbery post.

Innkeeping did not come naturally to me. 16 years ago I had a thriving medical career and much more responsibilities caring for both my parents who were both transitioning to assisted living due to dementia. Their transition was very bumpy that first year, and although I loved my patients I found more of my time was spent arguing with insurance companies and seeing my future in medicine just dishing out more of the same.

As their power of attorney it was my job to sell their house. It stayed on the market for 9 months without even a nibble. I was really getting worried that it would never sell. One day when I was driving to the hospital I drove by the house, looked at the For Sale sign, and the thought literally popped into my head that the house would make a great B&B. I had never stayed in a B&B and I was not big on cooking or housework. So, all of the sudden I decided this would be my ideal new job.

At the end of the 1year contract, I bought the house and engaged a contractor. Fortunately for me, and all my future guests, I stumbled upon the precursor forum, soon to become Innspiring.

Naive doesn’t come close to describing how I started this journey. I’m so grateful to all the innkeepers who took me by the hand and patiently instructed me personally about so much from how important private bathrooms are and what to include in a website, and how to build a list of breakfast recipes.

Ultimately it took a year of paperwork, since my town’s zoning ordinance didn’t even define a bed and breakfast and I had to make 3 monthly trips to the BZA to get a variance in zoning. Then Mr. Clean at the health department was bound and determined that he was going to make me have a full restaurant kitchen, then, since I had the property zoned, the remodeling was no longer residential and the house didn’t meet commercial standards for a hotel. Ceilings 2” too low, stair treads 4” too narrow, etc. So all the blueprints had to be thrown out and redone. Fortunately the building commissioner was overly accommodating and made my new plans work, but I ended up having a much bigger project when all was said and done.

Even though I languished through another year of construction, those two years were my time of education, so that I was far better prepared when I hosted my first guests.

So many guests have been very complimentary of my B&B and my hospitality. I always credit my skills to my forum buddies because without y’all I doubt things would have worked out nearly as well.

Camaraderie has been a hallmark. I didn’t realize how much I could get to know and appreciate people in cyberspace. I’m blessed by those I’ve met in person. I have a 4-lane road to view out the front dining room window. When 2CatLady posted a photo of an iceberg that she took out of her window, I was inspired to take the trip of a lifetime to visit her, and other forum members along the way...Glad you’re not planning on retiring real soon because your province is back on my bucket list.

Of course during my tenure as an innkeeper we’ve seen dramatic changes in the industry, but nothing like we ever imagined this year. It sounds like most of you are coping, for which I’m grateful.

My retirement isn’t going as planned. My busy schedule of volunteer work has evaporated as has the cross country trip that was greatly anticipated. I had hoped that my nephew would someday want to take over the house and reopen the B&B but he died very unexpectedly and our extended family is still grieving. Right now I feel like my spirit animal is a sloth.

Nothing cheers me up like opening up the guest rooms for some of my friends’ special occasions. They know they’re not getting a full B&B experience. But the invitation is there for any of you folks who need time away from your beautiful destination properties and want to visit Indiana, open now but who knows for how long. Invitation extends to the post pandemic era also.