Should questionable guest complaint and threat of a bad online review justify full refund?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The questionnaire asked various questions like paying a small fee for featured listings, and also a few questions after expressing how "IN" and important reviews are, and also a THUMBS UP and THUMBS DOWN feature, how I felt about that. I HATE A THUMBS UP OR DOWN!!!! I told them in the extra comments section how easy that is to play the system, would someone REGISTER to just add a thumbs up or down? Nope, so they will have to guarantee that is is fool proof!
Then spoke about adding TA reviews to our listing(s). Not happy about that at all.

We use laterooms and Booking.com and you can review on these but only if you have stayed as you get a link on your confirmation or after your stay (I havn't gone into all the details) I think they need to do something similar so that there is proof of stay. (trip adviser I mean)

May not applly entirely - I made the minimum stay 2 nights / no same day bookings, and lost most of my problem guests.

Government employee discounts............I can understand this concept some decades ago...
Today.......Government employees are over paid and have outstanding benefit, retirement packages......
Gov. employee discounts should be discontinued.
In the last 2 seasons I had been asked this a few times.........oddly, several times this past spring.........this questioned annoyed the heck out of me......my response had been.........."Yeah right....with your quaranteed salary, yearly increases, benefits and retirement. I should consider a surcharge added to your rates".........this gave them a perplexed expression on their faces...

Gvmt per diem is possibly what they are talking about. Sure they can make three figures but can only spend $85 per night on accomodations, or whatever it is for them.

Just had a threat like this yesterday. We had rainy weather & a one night (we take 100% non-refundable VISA/MC deposit for one nights stays-verbal & email confirmation of this policy-it is VERY CLEAR) stay cancel at 6:30pm on the day of the reservation & threaten to "tell everyone I know!" because we wouldn't "work with them"... to refund.
ah...

Just had a threat like this yesterday. We had rainy weather & a one night (we take 100% non-refundable VISA/MC deposit for one nights stays-verbal & email confirmation of this policy-it is VERY CLEAR) stay cancel at 6:30pm on the day of the reservation & threaten to "tell everyone I know!" because we wouldn't "work with them"... to refund.
ah....
You HOPE they go online and tell everyone so 'everyone' knows you are serious and doesn't think they are the one special case that it doesn't apply to.

ah....
You HOPE they go online and tell everyone so 'everyone' knows you are serious and doesn't think they are the one special case that it doesn't apply to.
Amen Sista!

I think the best way to combat the blackmailing guests is to work at getting excellent reviews, so when we tell the blackmailing guest to suck eggs it will be apparent to the reader that there was something afoot. Of course also add a diplomatic response to the blackmailer too.
Riki

How about questionable guest illnesses?
Friend just called me because her guests for this weekend called to cancel. One of them has cancer. Totally understandable that she doesn't want to travel. But the second room? Staying home in 'support' of the friend instead of coming to town to see her own children? Not likely. And guess what? The guest is staying at another property in town!.
Again, reminds me why I have a 14 day cancellation policy. I tell guests if they need to cancel, just let me know and they can come another time and they are paid for, neither of us loose out. When there is a sudden illness, they know the policy. Some nerve to stay elsewhere.

May not applly entirely - I made the minimum stay 2 nights / no same day bookings, and lost most of my problem guests.
Yes, I think it also helps to have no "same day " bookings. I get a few, but they generally really want to stay here and I usually collect payment upon arrival. By the way....welcome to the forum!

Government employee discounts............I can understand this concept some decades ago...
Today.......Government employees are over paid and have outstanding benefit, retirement packages......
Gov. employee discounts should be discontinued.
In the last 2 seasons I had been asked this a few times.........oddly, several times this past spring.........this questioned annoyed the heck out of me......my response had been.........."Yeah right....with your quaranteed salary, yearly increases, benefits and retirement. I should consider a surcharge added to your rates".........this gave them a perplexed expression on their faces....
My caller never asked for the government per diem rate, which we DID honor for extended stays. In addition to their lodging per diem, I believe that they get a meals allowance. With a complimentary breakfast, I think they'd make out OK with our corporate rate for short stays. This was a one night stay, on a weekend, with a wife and our business discount was clearly stated. People need to read and listen!!
I think some other innkeepers here on the forum have experienced these types of callers too.
pita.gif

I think the best way to combat the blackmailing guests is to work at getting excellent reviews, so when we tell the blackmailing guest to suck eggs it will be apparent to the reader that there was something afoot. Of course also add a diplomatic response to the blackmailer too.
Riki.
I agree. I don't think it ever pays to sink to the level of a nasty reviewer.

I might add this as my siggie line, but I have to share it as it is that good:
[FONT= 'Lucida Grande']"Nothing's idiot-proof, but idiot-resistant helps."[/FONT]

The dial replica watches design is replica watches obviously Glashütte Original, as one might expect from the watch makers replica handbags of some of replica handbags the most immediately distinctive dials in the business, however ugg boots the finish ugg boots quality is clearly polished over their other chronographs in the Senator collection. This platinum replica watches version is replica watches expensive however, operating the pushers; one almost forgets how expensive ugg boots it is since ugg boots the sweet smoothness of the button action. The chronograph pusher action, as far replica watches as I'm replica watches concerned, I think it is one of the best creations there is in the industry.While I quite appreciate the replica watches movement and replica watches its operation, I don't like the dial as a whole.

Back