Should we get our own website

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

birdwatcher

Reaction score
As some of you know we are Innkeepers at an Inn not our own. So we are essentially Innkeepers for hire would like long term assignments. Eventhough we have an assignment right now we always want to keep our eyes open for other opportunities just like when you have a job and are always looking at the wanted ads.
Anyway, was thinking the other day that we should have our own website-and of course where else would we go for opinions other than here. We would be doing our own since we have time to do it-what do you all think and also since this is kind of new to us as in being hired as Innkeepers what should we include in our website other than price-should we put our resumes on it or should that be something we send to the client or should we just put what we have done in our past professions? Want to make it nice but informative as well
Would love some ideas or should we even have a website at all? thinking about a blog too-about our assignments etc-we can incorporate this into the webdsite.
Thanks in advance.

YES! If you are looking for new and more work..get yourself out there. There are many innsitters who have web sites..do a google search and check them out. And make yours better :)

Number one, does your current employer consider you to be permanent long term employees? Are you a contract employee, or are you working under an employment contract? Is your length of term spelled out? How are you paid?
If you are temporary traveling innsitters, and your current employers views you thus, then go ahead and do your own website. Using a hosting company's template design is perfectly suitable, easy, and does not cost much. Put in the right effort and it can be very professional looking.
However, if this is going to get you in hot water with your already temperamental employer, think twice. If you're not sure what employment arrangement you currently have, you'd better work on that first. Do something that screws over your first employer or really torques her off, you can forget about the website or a reference from her...and your innsitting career will be a rocky one.
Get a new job AND take guests or employees away from the Inn you work at now, and you might find yourself visiting a courtoom. She sounds like the type.
Careful, birdwatcher!

Number one, does your current employer consider you to be permanent long term employees? Are you a contract employee, or are you working under an employment contract? Is your length of term spelled out? How are you paid?
If you are temporary traveling innsitters, and your current employers views you thus, then go ahead and do your own website. Using a hosting company's template design is perfectly suitable, easy, and does not cost much. Put in the right effort and it can be very professional looking.
However, if this is going to get you in hot water with your already temperamental employer, think twice. If you're not sure what employment arrangement you currently have, you'd better work on that first. Do something that screws over your first employer or really torques her off, you can forget about the website or a reference from her...and your innsitting career will be a rocky one.
Get a new job AND take guests or employees away from the Inn you work at now, and you might find yourself visiting a courtoom. She sounds like the type.
Careful, birdwatcher!.
Wendy, you do have a good point there. If the current owner gets wind of what they are doing.....from what we have heard....could be they would be looking for a new position...sooner rather than later :-(

Nope.
I think you should have your own blog.
Then you can write about all sorts of B&B type stuff. Then your BIO will show you are interim innkeepers/innsitters. :)

We are under no contract-we work like everyone else and if we where to get another position we would give the owner plenty of time to find a suitable Innkeeper. I would not ask for the owner to give us a reference anyway-its just the way it is...i do however have other people that have worked with us on a daily basis willing to give us referencees plus a few guests that have stayed here.
I don't think that a website steps on any toes-and I would not take any names of guests with us-thats just not professional.
Thanks all-will let you know.

thats a good idea joey...i was thinking about that too..
birdwatcher said:
thats a good idea joey...i was thinking about that too.
Then you can glam it up with tons of pix and info. Strut your stuff. :) If you need to later on enhance the job search aspect of it. Write some HOW TO's and it will be picked up in google like these inn the news I have sent to me. :)

Nope.
Then you can write about all sorts of B&B type stuff. Then your BIO will show you are interim innkeepers/innsitters. :).
Joey Bloggs said:
Nope.
Then you can write about all sorts of B&B type stuff. Then your BIO will show you are interim innkeepers/innsitters. :)
This is an excellent idea. You could be the HOW TO of innsitting and then just like in the restaurant business, B&Bs might contact you instead of the other way around. My DH used to get "stolen" all the time.
RIki

I think the blog idea is better than a web site. Blog about things you come up with to increase occupancy. About the packages you put together, things you discover about the area - all show that you are a digger.

Nope.
Then you can write about all sorts of B&B type stuff. Then your BIO will show you are interim innkeepers/innsitters. :).
Joey Bloggs said:
Nope.
I second this idea. Go for it!

Suellen-have seen this websitee before....its nice-will let you know what we decide to do. But a blog sounds like fun.

Do you have to have a website to blog? I would think that you do right? it asks your website url on the blog site.

JB, if it is so easy then why is my state association offering a 5 hour class on blogging at $65 (if you are a member) and $95 (if you are not a member). I'm not being difficult, I just haven't started blogging myself cos I thought it was way too complicated and time consuming. Please tell me it isn't true (and that I don't have to pay someone $65 to learn).

JB, if it is so easy then why is my state association offering a 5 hour class on blogging at $65 (if you are a member) and $95 (if you are not a member). I'm not being difficult, I just haven't started blogging myself cos I thought it was way too complicated and time consuming. Please tell me it isn't true (and that I don't have to pay someone $65 to learn)..
suellen222 said:
JB, if it is so easy then why is my state association offering a 5 hour class on blogging at $65 (if you are a member) and $95 (if you are not a member). I'm not being difficult, I just haven't started blogging myself cos I thought it was way too complicated and time consuming. Please tell me it isn't true (and that I don't have to pay someone $65 to learn).
Sue,
As long as you can figure out what to blog about, blogging is really easy. It's kinda like writing stories for everyone to read that past and potential customers would find interesting and hopefully bring them back to the inn.
regular_smile.gif
Blogger is a good place to start and is quite easy to manage.

JB, if it is so easy then why is my state association offering a 5 hour class on blogging at $65 (if you are a member) and $95 (if you are not a member). I'm not being difficult, I just haven't started blogging myself cos I thought it was way too complicated and time consuming. Please tell me it isn't true (and that I don't have to pay someone $65 to learn)..
You don't need a 5 hour class to start blogging. You can set one up in a couple of minutes. They are probably going to share stories about certain ways to write, how to write to SEO, how to link, etc etc. You can write perfectly well. You don't need to pay anyone. Read peoples blogs...you get the idea :) Some of these "pros" want you to think it is so difficult so they can make money off of you!

Thanks you all-I am going to get a blog going-but would like a catchy title; gotta come up with one.
Thanks!

suellen222 said:
I will only charge you $50.
wink_smile.gif

Birdie go to my blog, you remember it right? Top right corner asks you to create a blog, and then bobs yer uncle...away ya go, add content and have fun!

Back