Should we get our own website

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JB, if it is so easy then why is my state association offering a 5 hour class on blogging at $65 (if you are a member) and $95 (if you are not a member). I'm not being difficult, I just haven't started blogging myself cos I thought it was way too complicated and time consuming. Please tell me it isn't true (and that I don't have to pay someone $65 to learn)..
suellen222 said:
JB, if it is so easy then why is my state association offering a 5 hour class on blogging at $65 (if you are a member) and $95 (if you are not a member). I'm not being difficult, I just haven't started blogging myself cos I thought it was way too complicated and time consuming. Please tell me it isn't true (and that I don't have to pay someone $65 to learn).
I will only charge you $50.
wink_smile.gif

Jb,
Tell ya what - when you have me come down there to Inn-sit for you I will come a day early and you can teach me and we can deduct the $50 off my fee!

Thanks you all-I am going to get a blog going-but would like a catchy title; gotta come up with one.
Thanks!.
Bw,
Are you actively looking for another assignment? I feel as if you haven't been at the one you are at for very long, but time has a way of getting away from me lately.

Hmmm...there was an Interim Innkeeper called Sitting Inn - I wonder if they used to blog and stopped? Can I name mine anything I want? Does it cost $$$?
suellen222 said:
Hmmm...there was an Interim Innkeeper called Sitting Inn - I wonder if they used to blog and stopped? Can I name mine anything I want? Does it cost $$$?
I want you to follow those same steps - go to the right corner and create a blog. Just fool around with it and you will see how easy it is. Then you can add anything you want, it does not have to be published. Go ahead, go for it SueE.

suellen222 said:
I want you to follow those same steps - go to the right corner and create a blog. Just fool around with it and you will see how easy it is. Then you can add anything you want, it does not have to be published. Go ahead, go for it SueE.
Ok, how much do you charge for cheerleading?!
heart.gif

Suellen-we want to keep our eyes and ears open for other opportunities-yes we've been here a short time, but putting it simply-owner is a little overbearing and micromanages from afar-so we are still searching. Its always better to look for another job when you have one isn't it?
I will definantely look into the blog thing-will let you know.

Suellen-we want to keep our eyes and ears open for other opportunities-yes we've been here a short time, but putting it simply-owner is a little overbearing and micromanages from afar-so we are still searching. Its always better to look for another job when you have one isn't it?
I will definantely look into the blog thing-will let you know..
Yep, much better to be looking when you have one - especially in these times. I will let you know if I hear of anything, but joining IIN might not be a bad idea for you either. I have found most of the IIN posts seem to be long term gigs - which I personally stay away from, but my sister enjoys them - so we joined!

JB, if it is so easy then why is my state association offering a 5 hour class on blogging at $65 (if you are a member) and $95 (if you are not a member). I'm not being difficult, I just haven't started blogging myself cos I thought it was way too complicated and time consuming. Please tell me it isn't true (and that I don't have to pay someone $65 to learn)..
suellen222 said:
JB, if it is so easy then why is my state association offering a 5 hour class on blogging at $65 (if you are a member) and $95 (if you are not a member). I'm not being difficult, I just haven't started blogging myself cos I thought it was way too complicated and time consuming. Please tell me it isn't true (and that I don't have to pay someone $65 to learn).
wink_smile.gif

Jb,
Tell ya what - when you have me come down there to Inn-sit for you I will come a day early and you can teach me and we can deduct the $50 off my fee!
Sue, listen to JB...it really IS that easy!! Go for it! Don't be afraid. Besides, after you get going with it you can change anything you want to later on. Have fun with it!

suellen222 said:
wink_smile.gif

Jb,
Sue, listen to JB...it really IS that easy!! Go for it! Don't be afraid. Besides, after you get going with it you can change anything you want to later on. Have fun with it!
Ok BD and JB - I'll keep you both posted! I'm excited and scared all at the same time!

Here is a blog I saw today that is lovely, from the get go. The plain blogspot background to enhance the photos and innfo. http://brookfarmberrington.blogspot.com/.
You are right...very nice. Blogging just takes the "gift of gab" and puts it down in words :) Some folks do it marvelously while others...welll you know
cry_smile.gif
they just don't get it. It has to be interesting if anyone is going to read it. For the most part I don't care to read someone's ramblings.

Here is a blog I saw today that is lovely, from the get go. The plain blogspot background to enhance the photos and innfo. http://brookfarmberrington.blogspot.com/.
You are right...very nice. Blogging just takes the "gift of gab" and puts it down in words :) Some folks do it marvelously while others...welll you know
cry_smile.gif
they just don't get it. It has to be interesting if anyone is going to read it. For the most part I don't care to read someone's ramblings.
catlady said:
cry_smile.gif
and yet, on twitter they have the ramblings (This inn), which do not interest me in the least. I know we ramble here, but we have stuff to ramble about that we all discuss.

A BLOG is the way to go!! It's FREE and you can link to social media through it and have all kinds of Internet awesomeness.
You can have Google Analytics attached to your blog so you can track who is finding you.
You can update it all the time.
Easy peasy.

Sueellen, the association is charging money because it's a way to generate REVENUE for the association. ;-) Same reason that there are enterprising people out there who have convinced some folks that they can set up other social media for them....for a price!
You can set up a blog in no time. It's just putting aside the time for the small learning curve involved.

I would think the same cautions mentioned above in terms of having your own website would be important regarding the blog. Hired innkeepers who are looking for a new gig need to be careful about WHAT they blog about. Both potential and current employers may read the blog, so think about what it is you should be blogging about.
I'm thinking that innkeepers like Joey (and countless others, but she comes to mind) blog in order to market the inn and drive traffic to the booking page. So I'd caution to think carefully about what it is you're hoping to achieve by the blog, and how best to go about it.

thats why im here! Thanks you all-will let you know how it goes, and you are right Innbloom-I will be careful about what to blog about-but I can still blog about the assignment I have and upteen other things that go on at an Inn that is yours temporarily.

thats why im here! Thanks you all-will let you know how it goes, and you are right Innbloom-I will be careful about what to blog about-but I can still blog about the assignment I have and upteen other things that go on at an Inn that is yours temporarily..
You can actually also "style" your blog to look more like a website. They've come a long way with the templates....

I would think the same cautions mentioned above in terms of having your own website would be important regarding the blog. Hired innkeepers who are looking for a new gig need to be careful about WHAT they blog about. Both potential and current employers may read the blog, so think about what it is you should be blogging about.
I'm thinking that innkeepers like Joey (and countless others, but she comes to mind) blog in order to market the inn and drive traffic to the booking page. So I'd caution to think carefully about what it is you're hoping to achieve by the blog, and how best to go about it.
InnBloom said:
I agree. I would blog about innkeeping THINGS as such, not specific to the inn where they currently are hired, I would really shine. In fact, perhaps the current inn would like them to blog and they can put something like that ON the blog under the bio? There is always that as well, then when the time comes they can give THAT blog as an example of what they did etc.
I don't think they are there forever, so I think it is fine to market yourself online for your services. Definately. But of course include the part about "happily working currenlty at this lovely inn such and such in Texas..."

Associations hire experts and have to pay them. Our CVB has social media training right now too, as do most areas. Again, this forum gives away the cow. If you know what I mean, you can learn so much here and it is FREE.

Back