Showers - the future in hotel bathrooms?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some guests like showers, some want a tub. We have both and find that people will sometimes choose a room based on the tub vs. shower issue. Personally, I am a soaking tub guest, not a jacuzzi but a nice, deep soaking tub. It will win me over every time!
Strangly enough, I see many B+B's in the area that do not even mention the set up in the bathroom on their website...makes me think the bathroom might be an old closet outfitted with a sink, toilet and 2 sqft shower.
whattha.gif
Silverspoon said:
Strangly enough, I see many B+B's in the area that do not even mention the set up in the bathroom on their website...makes me think the bathroom might be an old closet outfitted with a sink, toilet and 2 sqft shower.
whattha.gif
Bingo! That's here. I do mention the shower but not that it looks like the bathrooms used to be closets. When guests arrive and look in and have 'the look' I say, 'Amazing what can be done with a closet isn't it?'
When guests ask if the shower is big enough for 2 people I tell them the bathroom is big enough for two people, IF you're really good friends.
I'm impressed by how the OO got 7 bathrooms in this house. It was definitely a feat of engineering. And there weren't any original closets, either. Where space allowed, the bathrooms are bigger but nowhere near what I've seen on TV for bathrooms! Whenever I bemoan the lack of space and wish things were different, I comtemplate how much more time cleaning large bathrooms would take and I'm ok with teeny bathrooms.
I don't need a large bathroom but DH is a tall, large man so a decent size shower is a must for him. I remember one place we stayed where he took a shower, dropped the soap, but the shower was not large enough for him to bend down to pick up the soap! I had to go to the rescue to open the shower door and get the soap. Additionally, the showerhead came up to his neck and sprayed water all over the place as it bounced off him. So now I ask about the size of the shower before we book.
We were lucky here to be able to incorporate large bathrooms into each accommodation. They are not huge but there is plenty of room for toiletries, tub and one has a window seat. But you are correct; the larger bathrooms take longer to clean so if I were doing it all over again I would not put a huge bathroom in a guest suite.
When we creared one bathroom and remodeled the original (1912) bathroom, I had large showers installed - 48 inch in the new and 60 inch to replace the claw-foot tub in the old. I had horrible visions of have to "crisco" a wide-load guest out of the shower so got large ones. A guest who became a friend asked if we were putting in personal showerheads, that her husband liked them. My original thought was glad he likes them and then I thought about how I cleaned the claw-foot tub - scrub and use the hand-held shower to rinse. DUH! I went to the store and bought the personal showerheads and thank her every time I clean a bathroom. Both of the new showers have seats and grab bars.
Sounds perfect! We have personal shower heads in all of our accommodations as well. They make cleans tubs and showers so much easier!
Maybe I am being thick but what is a personal shower head?
A hand-held shower. So, instead of being permanently affixed to the wall, it has a long, flexible hose so you can move it around. It makes washing the dog and spraying down the shower walls really easy.
Sorry that is pretty standard in the UK as people don't always want to get their hair wet though more people are having the fixed rainfall type shower heads fitted.
I figured it was as I found that type of hand held shower all over France. I never found an 'American' shower anywhere. Extrapolated and figured it might be a 'Euro' thing.

Some guests like showers, some want a tub. We have both and find that people will sometimes choose a room based on the tub vs. shower issue. Personally, I am a soaking tub guest, not a jacuzzi but a nice, deep soaking tub. It will win me over every time!
whattha.gif
Silverspoon said:
whattha.gif
Bingo! That's here. I do mention the shower but not that it looks like the bathrooms used to be closets. When guests arrive and look in and have 'the look' I say, 'Amazing what can be done with a closet isn't it?'
When guests ask if the shower is big enough for 2 people I tell them the bathroom is big enough for two people, IF you're really good friends.
I'm impressed by how the OO got 7 bathrooms in this house. It was definitely a feat of engineering. And there weren't any original closets, either. Where space allowed, the bathrooms are bigger but nowhere near what I've seen on TV for bathrooms! Whenever I bemoan the lack of space and wish things were different, I comtemplate how much more time cleaning large bathrooms would take and I'm ok with teeny bathrooms.
I don't need a large bathroom but DH is a tall, large man so a decent size shower is a must for him. I remember one place we stayed where he took a shower, dropped the soap, but the shower was not large enough for him to bend down to pick up the soap! I had to go to the rescue to open the shower door and get the soap. Additionally, the showerhead came up to his neck and sprayed water all over the place as it bounced off him. So now I ask about the size of the shower before we book.
We were lucky here to be able to incorporate large bathrooms into each accommodation. They are not huge but there is plenty of room for toiletries, tub and one has a window seat. But you are correct; the larger bathrooms take longer to clean so if I were doing it all over again I would not put a huge bathroom in a guest suite.
When we creared one bathroom and remodeled the original (1912) bathroom, I had large showers installed - 48 inch in the new and 60 inch to replace the claw-foot tub in the old. I had horrible visions of have to "crisco" a wide-load guest out of the shower so got large ones. A guest who became a friend asked if we were putting in personal showerheads, that her husband liked them. My original thought was glad he likes them and then I thought about how I cleaned the claw-foot tub - scrub and use the hand-held shower to rinse. DUH! I went to the store and bought the personal showerheads and thank her every time I clean a bathroom. Both of the new showers have seats and grab bars.
Sounds perfect! We have personal shower heads in all of our accommodations as well. They make cleans tubs and showers so much easier!
A hand-held shower. So, instead of being permanently affixed to the wall, it has a long, flexible hose so you can move it around. It makes washing the dog and spraying down the shower walls really easy.
Sorry that is pretty standard in the UK as people don't always want to get their hair wet though more people are having the fixed rainfall type shower heads fitted.
I figured it was as I found that type of hand held shower all over France. I never found an 'American' shower anywhere. Extrapolated and figured it might be a 'Euro' thing.
was chatting with some US guests (very nice people by the way good ambassadors!) and I was saying about how in the USA caffitiers (ie french presses) for coffee are very rare you tend to use the drip type machines where as here its the other way around. It was handy as it mean I knew to push the press down for them before taking it out so there weren't any incidents with the grounds!

whattha.gif
Silverspoon said:
whattha.gif
was chatting with some US guests (very nice people by the way good ambassadors!) and I was saying about how in the USA caffitiers (ie french presses) for coffee are very rare you tend to use the drip type machines where as here its the other way around. It was handy as it mean I knew to push the press down for them before taking it out so there weren't any incidents with the grounds!
This Forum discussions between the east & west sides of the Atlantic helped me to know about several things before I went to Europe last year. Yea Forum!!

I didn't get the chance to visit a hotel that has a spa room instead of a bathroom but I did find few hotel rooms that have a nice deluxe steam shower, I prefer a shower to a bathtub, it's refreshing and less time consuming.

Almost all hotels and bed & breakfasts offer en-suite facilities for their guest rooms and this will probably be the first part of the room the guest will visit after they arrive. It might be for a more biological need, but it might also be a quick way to check on the overall cleanliness of the room. mexican beef marinade carne asada

We have large 'rain shower' heads with flexible necks so can be adjusted to the desired height in our bathrooms. They also have a button to push to get a smaller standard shower spray.. Guests love them!
We bought them with the 'prize money' we got when we won "This Old House" Decorate your home for the Holidays Contest. It's been the best thing we did to our bathrooms...
(and yes, we do need to get pics of our (nice BIG) bathrooms on our website...)

We have large 'rain shower' heads with flexible necks so can be adjusted to the desired height in our bathrooms. They also have a button to push to get a smaller standard shower spray.. Guests love them!
We bought them with the 'prize money' we got when we won "This Old House" Decorate your home for the Holidays Contest. It's been the best thing we did to our bathrooms...
(and yes, we do need to get pics of our (nice BIG) bathrooms on our website...).
When we revamped our most popular room last winter we put in one of these showers, after we fitted one in our bathroom and a loved it.
It was very easy to fit, didn't require any changes to the plumbing and like you we've been getting great comments about it.
We replaced the head that came with it with an Eco jet storm head, so it uses less water than the supplied head and therefore reduces the hot water bill.
Going to do the same in one, possibly both of the other rooms this coming winter.

(and yes, we do need to get pics of our (nice BIG) bathrooms on our website...).
So ..any news Sunshine on the potential buyer?

EmptyNest said:
No,... and yes.... the potential buyer's son said 'no'... (he wants to build him a house with his $$), and so she is searching out financing options....
Trying not to be .... discouraged.... I think its harder to have people look and want it, really want it and not just say they want it, and then things happen and it falls through... (3 times so far now)... than it is to not have anyone look at all...
First time, a gal wanted it and they were about to put it under contract (had an appt set with realtor to do it) and her husband suffered quadruple heart attack. :(
Second one, wanted it, but spouse wanted to work outside the B&B and found a job out of state... :(
And this one, who wants it, but is having difficulty getting financing... which we all understand....
I guess its seems even harder because Mom and Dad are aging and they need us back there and we are so far away and can't help them. Mom is having health issues and Dad is afraid to let her out of his sight so he doesn't do much of anything anymore. Thats really sad because he is in excellent health and still very alert and active and loves to do for others. And I miss them terribly! They are actually my 'in-laws' but I have always been very close to them and love them sooo much! (I actually met them and had a relationship with them before I even met their son- now my husband). I'm sitting here with tears running down my face as I write this.... gotta pull myself together before guests check in.... Feeling extra homesick today... It probably wasn't the best day to answer your question... sorry...

EmptyNest said:
No,... and yes.... the potential buyer's son said 'no'... (he wants to build him a house with his $$), and so she is searching out financing options....
Trying not to be .... discouraged.... I think its harder to have people look and want it, really want it and not just say they want it, and then things happen and it falls through... (3 times so far now)... than it is to not have anyone look at all...
First time, a gal wanted it and they were about to put it under contract (had an appt set with realtor to do it) and her husband suffered quadruple heart attack. :(
Second one, wanted it, but spouse wanted to work outside the B&B and found a job out of state... :(
And this one, who wants it, but is having difficulty getting financing... which we all understand....
I guess its seems even harder because Mom and Dad are aging and they need us back there and we are so far away and can't help them. Mom is having health issues and Dad is afraid to let her out of his sight so he doesn't do much of anything anymore. Thats really sad because he is in excellent health and still very alert and active and loves to do for others. And I miss them terribly! They are actually my 'in-laws' but I have always been very close to them and love them sooo much! (I actually met them and had a relationship with them before I even met their son- now my husband). I'm sitting here with tears running down my face as I write this.... gotta pull myself together before guests check in.... Feeling extra homesick today... It probably wasn't the best day to answer your question... sorry...
Big hugs!
It's gotta be tough when what seems like an interloper (buyer's son???) puts the kibosh on the deal. Unless the buyer's son is financing the thing or is going to run it for them, butt out already! Ownership by committee never works.

EmptyNest said:
Oh..sorry I asked today. Bummer for sure. But...things will work out. Take care.

EmptyNest said:
the potential buyer's son said 'no'... (he wants to build him a house with his $$),
It sounds to me like the Mom decided how the son's money was going to be spent. She probably never dreamed HE might have plans for HIS money. Sorry you got caught in the crossfire, Sunshine.

Regarding tubs and showers, many have mentioned that guests like that you offer a jet tub, but most don't end up using it.
In my room that has both jet tub and separate shower, I'd estimate that 90% so far have used BOTH. I keep being surprised that even one-nighters have used the jet tub, and the packet of herbal grains and the little liquid scent pods I put out.
So far nobody has built a fire in the living area wood stoves, but every other amenity in the place gets used a lot. I think that's a good sign that they're enjoying themselves, and winter will bring some fire builders, no doubt.

Regarding tubs and showers, many have mentioned that guests like that you offer a jet tub, but most don't end up using it.
In my room that has both jet tub and separate shower, I'd estimate that 90% so far have used BOTH. I keep being surprised that even one-nighters have used the jet tub, and the packet of herbal grains and the little liquid scent pods I put out.
So far nobody has built a fire in the living area wood stoves, but every other amenity in the place gets used a lot. I think that's a good sign that they're enjoying themselves, and winter will bring some fire builders, no doubt..
It is probably because you have made it look so inviting and enticing. And they know everything is new :)

Our jetted tubs are used most of the time. One suite has the shower separate from the tub and both are always used. Very rarely is it the shower only.

Back