Showers - the future in hotel bathrooms?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Copperhead

Reaction score
This was in a sense a topic to an article I read today by a hotel supply comany, to paraphrase:
Upscale hotels are offering showers with spa-like features such as multiple showerheads or his/hers showerheads in oversize showers, romantic style lighting, exquisite tilework... and some even hammocks to lounge in. They state that many hotels are opting out of even installing tubs these days.
I do get many more calls asking if we have tubs - not jacuzzi tubs, just tubs. Maybe that can be a plug for my B&B in times ahead.
teeth_smile.gif

We stayed in a newly renovated room in a hotel and it had a shower the size of the former tub. Nothing fancy. I can see why hotels are moving this way, in part because you have to wonder how many drunken guests have fallen in or out of the tub. Then again, I wonder how many will fall thru the glass door.

We stayed in a newly renovated room in a hotel and it had a shower the size of the former tub. Nothing fancy. I can see why hotels are moving this way, in part because you have to wonder how many drunken guests have fallen in or out of the tub. Then again, I wonder how many will fall thru the glass door..
Madeleine said:
We stayed in a newly renovated room in a hotel and it had a shower the size of the former tub. Nothing fancy. I can see why hotels are moving this way, in part because you have to wonder how many drunken guests have fallen in or out of the tub. Then again, I wonder how many will fall thru the glass door.
or drowned in 3 inches of water!

large two person walk in rain showers with a bench- Thought we might be ahead of the curve when we went this way but I would not even consider installing tubs now.

Partly its money saving much less water (generally) in a shower than a tub. We have mainly showers due to space and hot water tank volume. I would also say for the older or less mobile guests they always request showers so it can be a way to cater to that market who spend more, less trouble, tend to vacation in their own country and so on, can be an excellent market segment to cater to.

DH can no longer get into a tub. I have a chair for him to sit on and lift his legs over. There is a fear of slipping in a tub - only a YOUNG person could ever manage that claw-foot people go ga-ga over. If I were starting over with bathrooms my suggestion would be to consider one of those walk-in tubs. It would be easier for older people to use as a shower and would still hav ethe tub the bubble bath crowd and families need.

We have a tub/shower combo in our rooms. We provide rubber self-gripping mats that are supposed to go in the bottom of the tub to keep the bather from slipping, but it's surprising how many people don't use it. Fortunately, our tubs have a non-slip surface on the bottom.

We have a tub/shower combo in our rooms. We provide rubber self-gripping mats that are supposed to go in the bottom of the tub to keep the bather from slipping, but it's surprising how many people don't use it. Fortunately, our tubs have a non-slip surface on the bottom..
We had the same problem. Guests refused to use the mats even tho they were pretty obviously clean. We got those peel and stick strips and put those in the showers and tub. Now I don't worry as much. They've held up very well, no replacing and are still white, after 6 years.

Some guests like showers, some want a tub. We have both and find that people will sometimes choose a room based on the tub vs. shower issue. Personally, I am a soaking tub guest, not a jacuzzi but a nice, deep soaking tub. It will win me over every time!
Strangly enough, I see many B+B's in the area that do not even mention the set up in the bathroom on their website...makes me think the bathroom might be an old closet outfitted with a sink, toilet and 2 sqft shower.
whattha.gif

Some guests like showers, some want a tub. We have both and find that people will sometimes choose a room based on the tub vs. shower issue. Personally, I am a soaking tub guest, not a jacuzzi but a nice, deep soaking tub. It will win me over every time!
Strangly enough, I see many B+B's in the area that do not even mention the set up in the bathroom on their website...makes me think the bathroom might be an old closet outfitted with a sink, toilet and 2 sqft shower.
whattha.gif
Silverspoon said:
whattha.gif
Bingo! That's here. I do mention the shower but not that it looks like the bathrooms used to be closets. When guests arrive and look in and have 'the look' I say, 'Amazing what can be done with a closet isn't it?'
When guests ask if the shower is big enough for 2 people I tell them the bathroom is big enough for two people, IF you're really good friends.
I'm impressed by how the OO got 7 bathrooms in this house. It was definitely a feat of engineering. And there weren't any original closets, either. Where space allowed, the bathrooms are bigger but nowhere near what I've seen on TV for bathrooms! Whenever I bemoan the lack of space and wish things were different, I comtemplate how much more time cleaning large bathrooms would take and I'm ok with teeny bathrooms.

whattha.gif
Silverspoon said:
whattha.gif
Bingo! That's here. I do mention the shower but not that it looks like the bathrooms used to be closets. When guests arrive and look in and have 'the look' I say, 'Amazing what can be done with a closet isn't it?'
When guests ask if the shower is big enough for 2 people I tell them the bathroom is big enough for two people, IF you're really good friends.
I'm impressed by how the OO got 7 bathrooms in this house. It was definitely a feat of engineering. And there weren't any original closets, either. Where space allowed, the bathrooms are bigger but nowhere near what I've seen on TV for bathrooms! Whenever I bemoan the lack of space and wish things were different, I comtemplate how much more time cleaning large bathrooms would take and I'm ok with teeny bathrooms.
I don't need a large bathroom but DH is a tall, large man so a decent size shower is a must for him. I remember one place we stayed where he took a shower, dropped the soap, but the shower was not large enough for him to bend down to pick up the soap! I had to go to the rescue to open the shower door and get the soap. Additionally, the showerhead came up to his neck and sprayed water all over the place as it bounced off him. So now I ask about the size of the shower before we book.
We were lucky here to be able to incorporate large bathrooms into each accommodation. They are not huge but there is plenty of room for toiletries, tub and one has a window seat. But you are correct; the larger bathrooms take longer to clean so if I were doing it all over again I would not put a huge bathroom in a guest suite.

whattha.gif
Silverspoon said:
whattha.gif
I don't need a large bathroom but DH is a tall, large man so a decent size shower is a must for him. I remember one place we stayed where he took a shower, dropped the soap, but the shower was not large enough for him to bend down to pick up the soap! I had to go to the rescue to open the shower door and get the soap. Additionally, the showerhead came up to his neck and sprayed water all over the place as it bounced off him. So now I ask about the size of the shower before we book.
We were lucky here to be able to incorporate large bathrooms into each accommodation. They are not huge but there is plenty of room for toiletries, tub and one has a window seat. But you are correct; the larger bathrooms take longer to clean so if I were doing it all over again I would not put a huge bathroom in a guest suite.
When we creared one bathroom and remodeled the original (1912) bathroom, I had large showers installed - 48 inch in the new and 60 inch to replace the claw-foot tub in the old. I had horrible visions of have to "crisco" a wide-load guest out of the shower so got large ones. A guest who became a friend asked if we were putting in personal showerheads, that her husband liked them. My original thought was glad he likes them and then I thought about how I cleaned the claw-foot tub - scrub and use the hand-held shower to rinse. DUH! I went to the store and bought the personal showerheads and thank her every time I clean a bathroom. Both of the new showers have seats and grab bars.

I had to put an addition on the house to get enough bathrooms, so the new bathrooms are huge. We discussed the trend towards luxury showers at the time, and so one new bathroom was a big shower with lots of shower heads, the other has a whirlpool for two and a stall shower. The whirlpool is booked first, the room with the shower is only booked after the whirlpool and another room with king bed and a stall shower. I really hate it that the shower is so much easier to clean than the whirlpool.

whattha.gif
Silverspoon said:
whattha.gif
When we creared one bathroom and remodeled the original (1912) bathroom, I had large showers installed - 48 inch in the new and 60 inch to replace the claw-foot tub in the old. I had horrible visions of have to "crisco" a wide-load guest out of the shower so got large ones. A guest who became a friend asked if we were putting in personal showerheads, that her husband liked them. My original thought was glad he likes them and then I thought about how I cleaned the claw-foot tub - scrub and use the hand-held shower to rinse. DUH! I went to the store and bought the personal showerheads and thank her every time I clean a bathroom. Both of the new showers have seats and grab bars.
Sounds perfect! We have personal shower heads in all of our accommodations as well. They make cleans tubs and showers so much easier!

whattha.gif
Oh Silverspoon, you've been here? We did indeed do something very close to that. (the sink is out in the bedroom. No room in the bath!) The only way to squeeze in a private bath in this old house. However, when our current guest in that room was offered an upgrade to the larger room with larger bath, (and TV) he chose not to make the move. We do have showers only upstairs.
wink_smile.gif

DH can no longer get into a tub. I have a chair for him to sit on and lift his legs over. There is a fear of slipping in a tub - only a YOUNG person could ever manage that claw-foot people go ga-ga over. If I were starting over with bathrooms my suggestion would be to consider one of those walk-in tubs. It would be easier for older people to use as a shower and would still hav ethe tub the bubble bath crowd and families need..
I agree Gillum. We have one room for our personal friends only. It has a charming claw foot tub. One of our elderly friends needed the help of her daughter to get out. THe guest rooms all have showers only.

whattha.gif
Silverspoon said:
whattha.gif
Sounds perfect! We have personal shower heads in all of our accommodations as well. They make cleans tubs and showers so much easier!
Maybe I am being thick but what is a personal shower head?

whattha.gif
Silverspoon said:
whattha.gif
A hand-held shower. So, instead of being permanently affixed to the wall, it has a long, flexible hose so you can move it around. It makes washing the dog and spraying down the shower walls really easy.

whattha.gif
Silverspoon said:
whattha.gif
A hand-held shower. So, instead of being permanently affixed to the wall, it has a long, flexible hose so you can move it around. It makes washing the dog and spraying down the shower walls really easy.
Sorry that is pretty standard in the UK as people don't always want to get their hair wet though more people are having the fixed rainfall type shower heads fitted.

whattha.gif
Silverspoon said:
whattha.gif
It fits between the water pipe and the regular shower head. There is a knob for lack of a beter term that pulls up to divert the water to the personal shower but if left down, the regular shower head gets the water. It makes cleaning SO much easier!

Back