Shrimp n grits

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aieechihuahua

Reaction score
Last fall we made our annual pilgimage to SC to hang in Cherry Grove in a old condo my dad left to me and my sis. By stange circumstance a cuz of our ended up moving there. He is a chef, and has thrown himself into the local foods, so one night he had us over for a huge spread of SC cookin. I have never had grit. Wouldn't ever go there. I am a Yankee FGS. But I fell head over heels in love with shrimp and grits.
Is that an appropriate thing to serve for breakfast? With eggs too, of course.

I would guess it's on the menu at a lot of Carolina B&Bs, but how do you think your guests would like it? I don't do grits here myself and I am south of the Mason-Dixon line. Once I had a request for grits, for a gentleman on a low-fat diet - I did poached eggs on grits, but only one time in 7 years. Personally - I love them. Lots of shore inns do seafood at breakfast, which is local for them.

I don't have a lot of folks here that seem to want more than regular breakfast fare. Lots say they don't want seafood. I can't even get them to use hollandaise sauce so stopped making it. They don't even want poached eggs and there are so many great recipes with poached eggs! I would be afraid to serve seafood. But it could be different where you are. I'd love a seafood quiche or crepe, but I am from San Francisco originally and don't do grits. I'll feed them to my husband who does like them and is from Vermont. Strange...!
They love here specialty pancakes, herbed cheese scrambled eggs, and especially farm fresh ingredients. So I put my money into local pork sausages and bacon. Costs more, but I don't have all the other stuff to buy to create any masterpieces. So we say we serve farm fresh breakfasts.
Riki

Being in Louisiana (New Orleans, specifically) I can attest that Shrimp 'n Grits is absolutely acceptable for breakfast! In fact, it's a favorite here. And down here, it's never served with eggs, but you can do that, too...whatever you think will please your guests. It's a meal in itself. Should your cousin be stingy with that recipe, I will be more than happy to send one your way! MMMM-mmm...just made 'em last week!

Being in Louisiana (New Orleans, specifically) I can attest that Shrimp 'n Grits is absolutely acceptable for breakfast! In fact, it's a favorite here. And down here, it's never served with eggs, but you can do that, too...whatever you think will please your guests. It's a meal in itself. Should your cousin be stingy with that recipe, I will be more than happy to send one your way! MMMM-mmm...just made 'em last week!.
Ethbay said:
Should your cousin be stingy with that recipe, I will be more than happy to send one your way! MMMM-mmm...just made 'em last week!
There is a link on the left under "Create content" called "Recipe" ;) <hint hint>
regular_smile.gif

Being in Louisiana (New Orleans, specifically) I can attest that Shrimp 'n Grits is absolutely acceptable for breakfast! In fact, it's a favorite here. And down here, it's never served with eggs, but you can do that, too...whatever you think will please your guests. It's a meal in itself. Should your cousin be stingy with that recipe, I will be more than happy to send one your way! MMMM-mmm...just made 'em last week!.
Ethbay said:
Should your cousin be stingy with that recipe, I will be more than happy to send one your way! MMMM-mmm...just made 'em last week!
There is a link on the left under "Create content" called "Recipe" ;) <hint hint>
regular_smile.gif

swirt said:
regular_smile.gif
Duly noted, and hint taken. LOL

I just made Paula Deen's Shrimp and Grits yesterday.... omg!!! so yummy!

Hubs LOVES grits, but up here in the north country, guests won't eat 'em...in fact won't even TRY 'em. Even his Maple Roasted Sweet Potatoes only get eaten about 65% of the time....I don't even like SP and I scarf those!

well ~ if you tell me ahead of time you're serving seafood of any kind at breakfast, i'll let you know i won't be having breakfast with you. i love seafood but not in the morning. and not with eggs. and not in quiche. ever. some suggested i do a lobster thing at breakfast and i couldn't ........... i guess i'm 'strange' ........

well ~ if you tell me ahead of time you're serving seafood of any kind at breakfast, i'll let you know i won't be having breakfast with you. i love seafood but not in the morning. and not with eggs. and not in quiche. ever. some suggested i do a lobster thing at breakfast and i couldn't ........... i guess i'm 'strange' .........
seashanty said:
well ~ if you tell me ahead of time you're serving seafood of any kind at breakfast, i'll let you know i won't be having breakfast with you. i love seafood but not in the morning. and not with eggs. and not in quiche. ever. some suggested i do a lobster thing at breakfast and i couldn't ........... i guess i'm 'strange' ........
We had the lobster quiche once at a guest's request. They had been looking forward to lobster quiche as soon as they made the rez. So, we made it for them. They never asked again! I don't like the smell of shellfish cooking in the morning, so we're off the lobster thing.

well ~ if you tell me ahead of time you're serving seafood of any kind at breakfast, i'll let you know i won't be having breakfast with you. i love seafood but not in the morning. and not with eggs. and not in quiche. ever. some suggested i do a lobster thing at breakfast and i couldn't ........... i guess i'm 'strange' .........
I am with you on that one...and I eat all kinds of seafood including, raw oysters, sushi, crawfish, and soft shell crabs
tounge_smile.gif

Back