Sick New Innkeeper :-(

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samster

Reaction score
Well...I guess I must have been really run down not to be able to snap back from this being sick for the last couple of days.
Spent the morning at urgent care after a sleepless night :-( Good news is that I'm a little better after a nebulizer treatment and a steroid injection. Sinusitis triggered bronchial asthma, probably not pneumonia (thankfully). 5 prescriptions later and $200 spent (with insurance), I should be on the mend within a couple of days.
Meanwhile, I had to refer a 2 night stay that had been on the books to another inn and they were gracious enough to give my guest my rate ($10 less per night) and handle the extra requests (I hope). The guest was super & asked if he & his wife could stop by and check on me to see if I was better by the weekend :) He was surprised that I had gone to the trouble to find them comparable lodging & work out the details with the other innkeeper before talking to him. What else could I do?? I told him that I would never have just called and told them that they had to find somewhere else to stay!

Difference between B & B's and hotels
wink_smile.gif

Feel better. It's awful getting a summer cold.

Get Better Fast! What a great guest! Could have been a nightmare!
Riki

poor thing!
good for you ... still thinking of your guests when so sick!
(hugs)

Difference between B & B's and hotels
wink_smile.gif

Feel better. It's awful getting a summer cold..
I wish this was just a Summer cold! I am usually never sick and keep pushing through if I am sick...this really took me down. I think JBJ and I are having a bad streak :-( Finally slept last night for the first time in 4 days. I'm wheezing again this morning though but have loaded up all all my drugs. ugh. Our historic foundation is moving the other half of a house down to our area today & I hope I feel well enough to see it - Wednesday I was definitely too sick to see the first part!

poor thing!
good for you ... still thinking of your guests when so sick!
(hugs).
Well, the guy is coming to town for an event & he was trying to treat his wife right since she was coming along while he was busy. I just couldn't see them having a less than great experience since he had ordered some special stuff for their stay. It's fortunate that we have a couple of other B&Bs close by that I can work with. Hopefully, they'll take good care of them. He was a really nice guy and quite understanding. (I'm sure that I didn't sound too good on the phone when I was talking to him though.)

Wow, you really do have it bad. Take care of yourself...

Wow, you really do have it bad. Take care of yourself....
Thanks! Yep, I'm not a complainer and it takes a lot to take me down. Ticked me off that I handed off someone that sounded like they'd be a really good guest too.

Thanks! Yep, I'm not a complainer and it takes a lot to take me down. Ticked me off that I handed off someone that sounded like they'd be a really good guest too.
Oh my, not what you need right now or ever. Hope this later post finds you on the mend!!!!!!!

Oh my, not what you need right now or ever. Hope this later post finds you on the mend!!!!!!!
Thanks ALL!! I'm getting there....taking too many meds though
confused_smile.gif
We've got a lot of guests coming in for the 4th of July weekend so I need to rally. We've blocked out our rooms through the weekend so I can kinda take it easy.
regular_smile.gif
Improving day by day......

confused_smile.gif
We've got a lot of guests coming in for the 4th of July weekend so I need to rally. We've blocked out our rooms through the weekend so I can kinda take it easy.
regular_smile.gif
So glad to hear you are better. Being sick is NO FUN!

confused_smile.gif
regular_smile.gif
Well, I would have been really ticked if I hadn't perked up from the nebulizer treatment in urgent care & they had to admit me to the hospital
sad_smile.gif
It's better to take it easy at home where you can actually get some rest. Besides nurses are the worst patients :)

confused_smile.gif
regular_smile.gif
Well, I would have been really ticked if I hadn't perked up from the nebulizer treatment in urgent care & they had to admit me to the hospital
sad_smile.gif
It's better to take it easy at home where you can actually get some rest. Besides nurses are the worst patients :)
Amen, we know too much, we think too much,we worry too much.

Hope you feel better fast. Great job on helping your guest out, they will always remember.
take care,

I am so sorry you were sick. I know how that can be. I have been home from the Ukraine for three weeks two of which I was sick. I got sick the day I was coming home. I had guests and I did just what I could and then crashed. I would get up and interact just a little as I had to. DH did much he usually does not do. This is the first time I have been really sick as an innkeeper. Good news I lost 20 lbs from the time I left for the Ukraine until today. It was like someone turned off the hunger switch. Hope you are feeling better. It is no fun being a sick innkeeper.
wink_smile.gif

This goes along with having a plan if you have a problem. This Thursday my daughter in law becomes an American. Her swearing is in the morning at 9:00 and I will not miss it. Of course I have people from Spain here. I had to think extra hard to find someone who doesn't smoke to come and serve breakfast. I found one friend older but she can do it. I am so greatful for her.
sandynn

I am so sorry you were sick. I know how that can be. I have been home from the Ukraine for three weeks two of which I was sick. I got sick the day I was coming home. I had guests and I did just what I could and then crashed. I would get up and interact just a little as I had to. DH did much he usually does not do. This is the first time I have been really sick as an innkeeper. Good news I lost 20 lbs from the time I left for the Ukraine until today. It was like someone turned off the hunger switch. Hope you are feeling better. It is no fun being a sick innkeeper.
wink_smile.gif

This goes along with having a plan if you have a problem. This Thursday my daughter in law becomes an American. Her swearing is in the morning at 9:00 and I will not miss it. Of course I have people from Spain here. I had to think extra hard to find someone who doesn't smoke to come and serve breakfast. I found one friend older but she can do it. I am so greatful for her.
sandynn.
We had a family funeral that was about 3 hours from here and 2 rooms. We knew one room would have an early breakfast as they had to be somwhere at a certain time. We said nothing to the other room because it is their vacation.
They arrived back at the house at the same time we did and I explained that we had taken care of anything that could rot, stink, or spoil and had left and why. They said we should have said something - they could easily have had an earlier breakfast. I do believe that if we have guests when the next of Daddy's cousins has a funeral (they are all old so it is just a case of when), we will ask if they would mind an earlier breakfast. Between the late start and road work and a sewer project that blocked the street to the church that required a 5 mile+ detour, we barely made it to the church in time.

Back