sick to my stomach

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

four at four forty four

Reaction score
So it's saturday, someone is checking in next friday. Two rooms/Two night. They just called to cancel Friday night and keep Saturday. I have a one week cancellation policy. When I reminded her of this she turned on her attitude, was short and rude.
I told her if I can rebook the rooms for Friday I won't need to charge her for Friday, but if I can't she will be reponsible for them.
I wear my heart of my sleeve and my skin is as thick as tissue paper. Now, of course, I feel like the jerk. Am I wrong? I know it's going to be very hard to book JUST friday. I can just take that hit.
Oh dear. Any advice is appreciated.

No you're not wrong. This is business pure and simple. Stick to your guns. I personally am tired of people who think we just do this for fun and don't have bills to pay like everyone else. You cancellation policy is generous. Mine is 15 days prior to arrival for standard reservations.
I know its hard to not take it personally, but keep reminding yourself that you don't do this for free.
Hang in there!

No you're not wrong. This is business pure and simple. Stick to your guns. I personally am tired of people who think we just do this for fun and don't have bills to pay like everyone else. You cancellation policy is generous. Mine is 15 days prior to arrival for standard reservations.
I know its hard to not take it personally, but keep reminding yourself that you don't do this for free.
Hang in there!.
Thank you FD. Thank you. I try and tell myself the same thing. Honestly people just don't get it. If they could spend just a day in our shoes... they would get it... i'd hope. Thanks again.

They will never get it, they don't want to get it, they want their own way. Stick to your policies, it gets easier each time you have to do it. I know the feeling is terrible, you want to be accommodating, but you have to stay in business in order to BE accommodating! You are doing the right thing.

Good for you! Stick to your guns. Believe me, the more you stand up for yourself with your cancellation policy, the easier it gets. About a year ago I changed by 7 day cancellation to 10 days. It's made a big difference. I get less cancellations that way and no longer get the calls on Fri to cancel the next weekend.
I know how you feel....guilty for charging them, but it's very important to remind yourself that this is a business and the guest knew full well at the time of booking what the restrictions were. You are not running a charity and to lose the revenue for that room on a weekend is not fair to you.
Your skin will thicken with time....the people cancelling don't care about you or your business. You're just there with this fun job, right?

As my best contractor would say, "We're in this business to make money." I think it was his mantra to remind himself that he's not a charity, he has bills to pay, and it's not just a hobby he does for the fun of it. I think it's even harder for us, since we're all about hospitality and making people feel wonderful (plus you know you'll have to deal with them on Saturday!), but he's right... we're not charities, it's not just a hobby, we have bills to pay.
One time I caved on my extra person fee. I grumbled the entire time I had set up the sleep sofa and swore to myself never again. You can cave now and learn or not cave and keep the money. No fun either way, I think.
Hang in there and good luck!
=)
Kk.

you've stated your policy. let it play out. maybe you will get a booking. the guests may fight the charge. time will tell.
they made the reservation knowing the policy, but no one likes to pay for a stay that didn't happen.

Hang in there!.
Thank you FD. Thank you. I try and tell myself the same thing. Honestly people just don't get it. If they could spend just a day in our shoes... they would get it... i'd hope. Thanks again.
Just an idea but if you just can't do it give them a gc and they really might not ever use it. You get the money and you can make it for a one night of a two night stay durning the week. I know it is hard when they will be there and you are feeling uncomfortable.

Charge her!! This is your business and YOUR policy. IF she agreed to it when she booked, you have a legit contract. You can only be mr nice guy so long before you begin to feel trampled all over. People have to learn their responsibilities as well. Do you charge the one night deposit when someone books? YOU SHOULD. Then you at least have that.

If you feel bad because of your policy and having to charge her for a cancellation, then think how much worse you'll feel when the bills roll around and you're short by $$$ because someone else was being a jerk.
Running a Bed and Breakfast ain't for sissies!
smiley-char124.gif

I think that people are just so used to the big hotel chains that they think everyone has the same policy. We charge the first night stay as the deposit, or if they are staying a week, half the total. It usually works out pretty well, we only have problems with the last minute credit card holds. And it has happened to us several times that someone shows up to check in and THEN they inform us that they are only staying the one night and do not need the second. It is infuriating. You do want to be nice and accommodating but when you know that you have been turning people away from that room because it was booked, what do you do? Well we usually charge them for it and tell them that we will refund them if we can re-rent it last minute. And sometimes this alone makes them change their mind and decide that now they (miraculously) can stay for the whole length of time.

I think that people are just so used to the big hotel chains that they think everyone has the same policy. We charge the first night stay as the deposit, or if they are staying a week, half the total. It usually works out pretty well, we only have problems with the last minute credit card holds. And it has happened to us several times that someone shows up to check in and THEN they inform us that they are only staying the one night and do not need the second. It is infuriating. You do want to be nice and accommodating but when you know that you have been turning people away from that room because it was booked, what do you do? Well we usually charge them for it and tell them that we will refund them if we can re-rent it last minute. And sometimes this alone makes them change their mind and decide that now they (miraculously) can stay for the whole length of time..
Renee V said:
I think that people are just so used to the big hotel chains that they think everyone has the same policy. We charge the first night stay as the deposit, or if they are staying a week, half the total. It usually works out pretty well, we only have problems with the last minute credit card holds. And it has happened to us several times that someone shows up to check in and THEN they inform us that they are only staying the one night and do not need the second. It is infuriating. You do want to be nice and accommodating but when you know that you have been turning people away from that room because it was booked, what do you do? Well we usually charge them for it and tell them that we will refund them if we can re-rent it last minute. And sometimes this alone makes them change their mind and decide that now they (miraculously) can stay for the whole length of time.
You do have to be very clear about it in your policies though, don't you?
This is my one beef with Webervations. There is a click box for "I have read your policies", but it does not require the guest to click it before the reservation is passed through. This should be MANDATORY. In other words, you can't have a reservation here UNLESS you agree to our policies.

I think that people are just so used to the big hotel chains that they think everyone has the same policy. We charge the first night stay as the deposit, or if they are staying a week, half the total. It usually works out pretty well, we only have problems with the last minute credit card holds. And it has happened to us several times that someone shows up to check in and THEN they inform us that they are only staying the one night and do not need the second. It is infuriating. You do want to be nice and accommodating but when you know that you have been turning people away from that room because it was booked, what do you do? Well we usually charge them for it and tell them that we will refund them if we can re-rent it last minute. And sometimes this alone makes them change their mind and decide that now they (miraculously) can stay for the whole length of time..
Renee V said:
This is my one beef with Webervations. There is a click box for "I have read your policies", but it does not require the guest to click it before the reservation is passed through. This should be MANDATORY. In other words, you can't have a reservation here UNLESS you agree to our policies.
I thought it was mandatory???? I have tried to do it without checking the box and it would not let me continue. Maybe that has changed????

Renee V said:
PT
IN Webervations, under "Configuration" and then "Custom Messages", just below the box where you enter your policies, there is a little check box that says:

Require the guest to check a box that they have read your Policies?
If you have that box checked, a guest MUST check the box in order to proceed with a reservation. If you don't have it checked, they don't.

Renee V said:
PT
IN Webervations, under "Configuration" and then "Custom Messages", just below the box where you enter your policies, there is a little check box that says:

If you have that box checked, a guest MUST check the box in order to proceed with a reservation. If you don't have it checked, they don't.
Thanks I was just going in to recheck on that but you beat me to it. That's what I thought.

Renee V said:
PT

Little Blue said:
PT

I have that checked. But I had a conversation with one of the techs at Webervations some time back and it apparently does not keep the reservation from being processed if the box is left unchecked.
ETA: Am I wrong? I hope so.

Renee V said:
PT

Little Blue said:
PT

I have that checked. But I had a conversation with one of the techs at Webervations some time back and it apparently does not keep the reservation from being processed if the box is left unchecked.
I've had guests call me on the phone saying "I can't seem to make a reservation on your system" and after questioning them, it's because they did not check the policy box. I'm sure it works.
Try making a bogus reservation on your own site, see what happens.

Renee V said:
PT

Little Blue said:
PT

I've had guests call me on the phone saying "I can't seem to make a reservation on your system" and after questioning them, it's because they did not check the policy box. I'm sure it works.
Try making a bogus reservation on your own site, see what happens.
I tried it and mine worked. I sure hope it does otherwise a bunch of innkeepers would be up the creek without a paddle when the next chargeback shows up:-(

I would dfinantely charge her but not until Saturday morning so that you at least show the guest that the room was available, I always always when I charge a guest that has or had to cancel within the 7 day period send them a note and a gift certificate specially if they never stepped foot in your Inn. I did charge a guest because they did not show up the day that they reserved and to boot ai stayed up late waiting for them, they did not even notice the charge until he got home and looked at his expenditures and called me avout it, I replyed that is in our policy, but we will b e happy to send him a gift certificate for a one night stay. He did not dispute the charges.
Stick to your policies and I'm always so sorry that they could experience our Bed and Breakfast...blah blah blah:)

I had a similar situation just this past week. A guest who had been here numerous times call on Tuesday to say that the wife was sick and they wouldn't be able to come Sat & Sun. "Oh, I'm so sorry Jane has the flu, but you know that you'll still be responsible for that room for 2 nights. It's only Tuesday, I'm sure she'll be feeling better by Sat. Do you want me to open up the room to see if I can rent it?"
Did I feel bad when I said it? Yes, but I stuck to my guns
I was able to fill the Sat night a day later.....then the sick wife calls and I tell her the good news. Now's she upset because she's feeling a little better and wants to come!
End of the story is that they are checking in today, decided to change to our most expensive room for 2 nights which was the only one available and I was able to re-rent their first room for more money than what they had originally reserved it for!
Happy ending!

Back