Sign that the paint fumes were starting to get to me...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Draper

Reaction score
Hubs is taking the day off from painting so I thought I'd get to work cleaning/organizing our bedroom and closet. As a diversionary tactic I decided I needed to run to the store to get some of those vacuum-seal storage bags. I am getting such a kick out of watching the things get SO small after I pack 'em full of stuff! I need a day off, I'm getting a little delirious here...

So they really work? Curious if they stay that way and what the clothes are like when you take them out again. Let us know.
I'd love a project like that right now. My whole family is watching football.

So they really work? Curious if they stay that way and what the clothes are like when you take them out again. Let us know.
I'd love a project like that right now. My whole family is watching football..
Time will tell if that stay "shrunk" but they worked exactly as advertised. The key is to put the items inside the bags as neatly as possible, that way when you suck the air out with the vacuum it stays really flat. I got a really cool one that lets you store up to 10 dresses, everything hangs from a large hook and then the whole bag hangs in the closet...I have so many old bridesmaids dresses, etc. that I don't want to get rid of quite yet but never wear so it was nice to stow all that away.

I'd love a project like that right now. My whole family is watching football..
Time will tell if that stay "shrunk" but they worked exactly as advertised. The key is to put the items inside the bags as neatly as possible, that way when you suck the air out with the vacuum it stays really flat. I got a really cool one that lets you store up to 10 dresses, everything hangs from a large hook and then the whole bag hangs in the closet...I have so many old bridesmaids dresses, etc. that I don't want to get rid of quite yet but never wear so it was nice to stow all that away.
Should you ever decide to get rid of the dresses, here's a great idea for them, someone in your area may be doing this, too...a couple of moms here got so tired of the cost of dresses they got together, pooled all the dresses they had bought for their daughters over the years and now they have a swap around prom time and winter formals.
The girls can pick a dress for free, they just need to trade one in so the supply stays fresh.
I had no idea these high schoolers were going to 3-4 formals/year.
Anyway, it sounds good to me. Pass those dresses around! My daughter did this for years. I couldn't afford formal dresses so she raided the closets of friends.

We used several of the bags. Within a few months all the seal failed (it only takes a pinhole) and they expand close to normal size. Had one that we wedged into a smaller spot then when it expanded made it real tricky to get out.
We do use thenm in packing. We have some LLbean duffels that we travel with.. shrink the vacuum bags, put them int he duffelthen tighten the compression straps on the duffel... you can fit close to three times as much stuff in that way. This method is NOT good for multi-stop travelling though.

We used several of the bags. Within a few months all the seal failed (it only takes a pinhole) and they expand close to normal size. Had one that we wedged into a smaller spot then when it expanded made it real tricky to get out.
We do use thenm in packing. We have some LLbean duffels that we travel with.. shrink the vacuum bags, put them int he duffelthen tighten the compression straps on the duffel... you can fit close to three times as much stuff in that way. This method is NOT good for multi-stop travelling though..
Ha, I have it all jammed in together so it will be hilarious if they all expand! It's not stuff I plan to need to get at frequently so hopefully no holes in the bags.
One of the packs I bought had a complimentary travel size bag and I though "What a good idea", until I thought "You'd better hope there is a vacuum wherever you are staying for you to pack back up to come home!" Then I started laughing picturing all my guests asking to use our vacuum before they could check out...
I told you, I"m delirious!

Back