Signs do not work, lets get rid of all of them

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madeleine

Reaction score
We had a whole house check-out today and no help so we immediately hung the sign on the door at 10 AM stating when check-in is. THREE cars pulled in 2 hours early. I was in the office so didn't see the guests but they came to the door, yanked on the door handle, ignored the sign completely and started banging on the door. (All of which I can hear, even if I can't see it.)
DH was in the kitchen, up to his ass in alligators but he graciously went to answer as it is hard to ignore people with their noses pressed up to the glass banging on the door. They wanted to check in. They knew it was early but they just got to town and they wanted to check in now. (We have a built in shade on the door but we had put it back up as we were expecting the UPS guy.)
Why bother with the signs? Atho, I will say, the other 2 sets of guests read the sign and left. So all is not lost.
OK, have to go finish up the last of it.

Try this sign instead....
Gracious innkeeper check-in time starts at 3PM.
Grumpy innkeeper check-in time is anytime before that.
or Version 2.0
Check-in time starts at 3PM.
Knock on the door before 2:59PM for our $25 early check-in.

Is it that they don't read the sign, or is it some people think it doesn't apply to them for some reason. That it only applies to the hoi polloi and they are above that.

or Version 2.0
Knock on the door before 2:59PM for our $25 early check-in..
Eric Arthur Blair said:
or Version 2.0
thumbs_up.gif

If you have paid the $25 fee in advance for an early check in, please ring bell.
Anyone else, ring bell and it will cost you $25.

or Version 2.0
thumbs_up.gif

or Version 2.0
Eric Arthur Blair said:
or Version 2.0
thumbs_up.gif

If you have paid the $25 fee in advance for an early check in, please ring bell.
Joey Bloggs said:
thumbs_up.gif

Anyone else, a $25 early check-in charge will automatically be charged to your card each time you press the bell!!!

or Version 2.0
Eric Arthur Blair said:
or Version 2.0
thumbs_up.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
thumbs_up.gif

Anyone else, a $25 early check-in charge will automatically be charged to your card each time you press the bell!!!
Highlands John said:
...a $25 early check-in charge will automatically be charged to your card each time you press the bell!!!
I like it, and there's a precedent: the websites that say, "Click Submit Payment only once or your card may be charged multiple times."

or Version 2.0
Yes that does work charge for early check ins. You will be amazed if you put that on your web site also. It sure does cut them down. Then you can decide if you charge or not. It works for most in this part of the world.

or Version 2.0
LOL! I Like that, Eric!

or Version 2.0
Eric Arthur Blair said:
or Version 2.0
thumbs_up.gif

thumbs_up.gif

[/quote]
awesome!

i IGNORED bell ringers, door pounders and shouters. yes, i could hear them ... sometimes i could see them ... and they could see me sometimes.
... i travel, too, but i know the rules for check in and so do they.
opening the door to explain, especially to a crowd, leads to please and arguments, requests to drop the luggage, use the bathroom, and for a crowd to push their way in. been there ... had it happen.
ignore them ... unless, of course, they climb in through a window off the 3rd floor fire escape like the moron who did that at my b&b just as i was getting into the shower.

or Version 2.0
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Clear & to the point. Win/Win for all involved.

Interesting. I was talking to 2 guests who did see the sign and walked away to come back later. They said, 'Yeah, we read the sign and just went into town. We figured if the sign was there you weren't ready for us.' (Which is what the sign says.) The guests who figured they would just knock on the door anyway were standing right there so they learned something without me saying a word.

Interesting. I was talking to 2 guests who did see the sign and walked away to come back later. They said, 'Yeah, we read the sign and just went into town. We figured if the sign was there you weren't ready for us.' (Which is what the sign says.) The guests who figured they would just knock on the door anyway were standing right there so they learned something without me saying a word..
Madeleine said:
Interesting. I was talking to 2 guests who did see the sign and walked away to come back later. They said, 'Yeah, we read the sign and just went into town. We figured if the sign was there you weren't ready for us.' (Which is what the sign says.) The guests who figured they would just knock on the door anyway were standing right there so they learned something without me saying a word.
Nice when other guests help by saying something at just the RIGHT time!!!
wink_smile.gif

Interesting. I was talking to 2 guests who did see the sign and walked away to come back later. They said, 'Yeah, we read the sign and just went into town. We figured if the sign was there you weren't ready for us.' (Which is what the sign says.) The guests who figured they would just knock on the door anyway were standing right there so they learned something without me saying a word..
Madeleine said:
wink_smile.gif

this is why I told off a guest at a neighbours place - I rang the bell and was waiting for friend to come - guest opened the door and told me to come in (knew they wouldn't know who I was) said "do you know who I am? so why are you letting me into someone elses house?"
was a bit shirty with some at another friends BB - saw guests comming out said
"is X home"
I don't know and proceeded to walk away leaving the door unlocked "
said arn't you going to lock the door?" "but you are her friend?"
i replied "you don't know that I could be anybody and if she isn't there then you have just left her front door open for anyone to walk in - if she is there then she will answer the door when I ring so I would like you to lock the door please"
was furious! - plus she wasn't there so the door could have been unlocked for hours!

Madeleine said:
wink_smile.gif

this is why I told off a guest at a neighbours place - I rang the bell and was waiting for friend to come - guest opened the door and told me to come in (knew they wouldn't know who I was) said "do you know who I am? so why are you letting me into someone elses house?"
was a bit shirty with some at another friends BB - saw guests comming out said
"is X home"
I don't know and proceeded to walk away leaving the door unlocked "
said arn't you going to lock the door?" "but you are her friend?"
i replied "you don't know that I could be anybody and if she isn't there then you have just left her front door open for anyone to walk in - if she is there then she will answer the door when I ring so I would like you to lock the door please"
was furious! - plus she wasn't there so the door could have been unlocked for hours!
And why we, as guests, were put through a long, long speech at a B&B in a big city. They said in short, lock the door behind you and when coming in do not let anyone in except YOUR party, if someone is behind you and is a guest, they know how to get in.

Back