Silicone Muffin Cups

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Draper

Reaction score
Is anyone using these? Or non-stick tins are ready to be replaced and I just wondered if it was worth giving the silicone ones a go. If you are using them, how well does the "non stick" portion work, do things come out easily?

I tried several different silicone pans...never had good luck with them. I finally just threw them out.

I've not had too much luck with the muffin 'tins' (like the 6 or 12). I do love my heart-shaped individual silicone dishes. They're sort of like a ramekin for an individual serving, but in a heart shape. Guests love them! I make strata, fritata or French toast in them.

I'm using the silicon muffin pans. I have the large size and the mini muffin size as well as small loaves of bread size. Stuff sticks in them though so I still spray them with pam and they come out easy. They have been used everyday for 6 years and still working. What I like about them over metal pans is that they are flexible and a little easier to clean.

Love 'em. I spray occasionally with Pam, but not sure if it's completely necessary. It IS necessary to let things cool in them so they pop out.

Just got some and so far OK. We have some products with a gooey batter e.g. blueberry muffins and we found it sticks too much to cupcake wraps, so we are trying the silicone instead. Never had a problem with the yeast-base rolls in a conventional tin pan. Jury's out on the plastic ...

I use them and like them for the most part. I have the mini muffin, regular muffin, and cake pans. They are lightweight (we have to manage the storage of our weight on a boat so it DOES matter for us - placement of anything is a calculated thought), but what I do not like is that they tend to get sticky to the touch - like oil does on a deep fryer or anything else oil touches, like the plastic jug is comes in. That is my biggest peeve. I HATE sticky on anything! No matter how hard I scrub, I cannot scrub the sticky off. Also, I run a small rubber or silicon spatula under/around the muffins before I pop them out. They're OK, not great or WOW!, but just OK.
....and they don't rust! Everything here in the salt air rusts so fast.

We use them and like the reliable results but we do spray them with pam before using them.

Thanks for the feedback. I got a great deal on the heavy duty Farberware non-stick tins on Amazon so I am going with them for now, they got rave reviews across the board for non stick and durability. If/when I see the silicone ones on sale I will give them a try too.

I've tried various silicone....most that came with directions, indicated no need to spray them....had sticking issues....and when spraying....had sticking issues.
Only thing I a can think of...cooling times....is it better to let cool for a longer period with silicone ?

I have one that was given to me. Read directions and tossed the cardboard. Now of course I cannot remember. Please clue me in. Do you just use the like regular baking pans? Do you put them on a cookie sheet in the oven because they are so floppy? I think I MAY get around to using them - at least to try it.

Generally the thin silicone needs to be supported and frankly they still work better with muffin liners. Still prefer the metal ones and frankly, we do better with mini-muffins than with muffins.
Now, if you are talking about Silpat silicone baking mats... those I just love! http://silpat.com/ and I stopped all the spraying, scraping and whatnot when I bake!

Generally the thin silicone needs to be supported and frankly they still work better with muffin liners. Still prefer the metal ones and frankly, we do better with mini-muffins than with muffins.
Now, if you are talking about Silpat silicone baking mats... those I just love! http://silpat.com/ and I stopped all the spraying, scraping and whatnot when I bake!.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Now, if you are talking about Silpat silicone baking mats... those I just love! http://silpat.com/ and I stopped all the spraying, scraping and whatnot when I bake!
Silpat has been a wonder for baking cookies. I no longer use parchment paper. Gillum....just lay them on a cookie sheet and then drop your cookie dough on them. They work great. I reccommend only the silpat brand. I have another version of this made by another company and I have a hard time getting it cleaned. The silpat you just hand wash and comes clean.

After reading everything here I went to find my lone silcone muffin pan. It's heart-shaped for V-Day. I've used it maybe twice because it's very easy to overfill and then I've got these gloppy muffins that don't look anything like hearts!
Beside the point, we all know my culinary skills are minimal...
What I found...I had to spray them anyway and now they're all burnt brown on the top (and the spouse is an excellent dish washer so it's not that!) and sticky as someone else mentioned. I'd rather use the metal ones with paper liners.

Now, if you are talking about Silpat silicone baking mats... those I just love! http://silpat.com/ and I stopped all the spraying, scraping and whatnot when I bake!.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Silpat has been a wonder for baking cookies. I no longer use parchment paper. Gillum....just lay them on a cookie sheet and then drop your cookie dough on them. They work great. I reccommend only the silpat brand. I have another version of this made by another company and I have a hard time getting it cleaned. The silpat you just hand wash and comes clean.
What I have is the Flying WV of WVU that my daughter's friend bought for me on a visit here. Have yet to use it. Guess I will have to try it out to see how it goes.

We freeze our muffin batter in the individual silicon muffin cups instead of papers so we don't have to buy them. We bake them in a silicon 6 muffin pan. They work great! We do spray a shot of non stick spam in them before putting the frozen in to bake. They pop right out
Riki

Back