Silliest thing a guest has ever done?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JunieBJones (JBJ)

Reaction score
What is the silliest thing a guest has ever done?
My short list...
#1) Used a thin disposable plastic watercooler cup for scorching hot boiled water to make tea (yes mugs were right there) - age 30's
#2) Accidentally taken their B&B keys with them and stopped at some minute market out in the middle of nowhere 40 miles away and asked the clerk to mail them back to us. (Of course they never came here) - age 40's
#3) Spilled red wine all over the cottage floor and used white bath towels to mop it up. - age 50's
#4) Use a wicker waste basket to put a bag of ice into to chill wine and left it on the wood floor to drip and destroy the finish - two days in a row! I had ICE BUCKETS on the table in the dining room WITH ICE. - age 60's

Missed the bottom step coming down for breakfast.
Called me from their cell phone asking how to turn the shower on.
Left behind a large cooler of booze.
.... and I haven't been in business all that long!
=)
Kk.

Generally the silliest thing is not being able to open the door to their room or not being able to lock it. We're working on that as it is an ongoing, and therefore 'my fault' issue.
Hanging their dainties off the light fixtures to dry them.
Not turning the mugs over before trying to pour the coffee...world's smallest cuppa!
Family of 3 always takes table set for family of 4. Couple always takes table set for 3.

Felt at liberty to hunt down firewood, build a fire in our living room fireplace at 1 AM and failed to open the damper. All 14 fire alarms in the house went off. (50s)

Go down the very narrow back servants stairs which are roped off (including signs saying "this is the wrong way - private quarters"and opens into our very disfunctional kitchen instead of going down the beautiful wide oak stairs which took them up to their room.
Then they had the nerve to say "Oh is this not the right way"?

Go down the very narrow back servants stairs which are roped off (including signs saying "this is the wrong way - private quarters"and opens into our very disfunctional kitchen instead of going down the beautiful wide oak stairs which took them up to their room.
Then they had the nerve to say "Oh is this not the right way"?.
knowlesl said:
Then they had the nerve to say "Oh is this not the right way"?
That wasn't silly, that was rude. Especially given the boundary markers you had put up.
We've had guests go the wrong way when leaving the dining room. Mostly because they are following someone else whose room is that way. I don't say anything because maybe they just want to see what the rest of the house looks like. And then there are the guests who walk into the laundry room (big sign on door 'laundry room') and are really confused because they were SURE that's where their room was. They've actually turned around and asked where is their room.

Felt at liberty to hunt down firewood, build a fire in our living room fireplace at 1 AM and failed to open the damper. All 14 fire alarms in the house went off. (50s).
tedwin said:
Felt at liberty to hunt down firewood, build a fire in our living room fireplace at 1 AM and failed to open the damper. All 14 fire alarms in the house went off. (50s)
And they walk among us....

When I first saw this thread I thought it said "slimiest" things a guest has ever done!
teeth_smile.gif

Felt at liberty to hunt down firewood, build a fire in our living room fireplace at 1 AM and failed to open the damper. All 14 fire alarms in the house went off. (50s).
tedwin said:
And they walk among us....
Even worse - they VOTE!!

One guest asked if she could leave before checkout time!
Another said she wished she could have a job where you could kick back after breakfast. I said "So would I!"

Silly = stupid
For each room I have 3 different sizes of piller candles that are battery operated. They are made of wax and have a real looking wick. They look great and are very real looking when they are turned on. After the first time a guest tried lighting them with match and singeing the wax (they are made so they will not light), I started turning them upside down so that the guest sees the battery area and turn on switch and has to turn it upside down so that it looks like a real candle.
Welllllll......even after this, they would still try to light them! So, I had to start explaining the candles to all guests when giving them the tour of their room. Ha ha ha ha ha....all the guests laugh when I tell them why I have to explain the candles. Oh no, they would never be so silly, it's sooooo obvious.
The other night I checked in guests and I wasn't feeling well, so I did the shortened version of my room check-in which did not include directions for the candles. You guessed it. They even tried lighting ALL 3 of the candles and there are singe marks on all of them.
Sometimes I'm just amazed at how clueless some people can be!

Silly = stupid
For each room I have 3 different sizes of piller candles that are battery operated. They are made of wax and have a real looking wick. They look great and are very real looking when they are turned on. After the first time a guest tried lighting them with match and singeing the wax (they are made so they will not light), I started turning them upside down so that the guest sees the battery area and turn on switch and has to turn it upside down so that it looks like a real candle.
Welllllll......even after this, they would still try to light them! So, I had to start explaining the candles to all guests when giving them the tour of their room. Ha ha ha ha ha....all the guests laugh when I tell them why I have to explain the candles. Oh no, they would never be so silly, it's sooooo obvious.
The other night I checked in guests and I wasn't feeling well, so I did the shortened version of my room check-in which did not include directions for the candles. You guessed it. They even tried lighting ALL 3 of the candles and there are singe marks on all of them.
Sometimes I'm just amazed at how clueless some people can be!.
I almost bought that type with the wick and my husband said that would asking for trouble as guests would try lighting them!! RIGHT!!! So I got the kind with no wick.;-)

Silly = stupid
I almost bought that type with the wick and my husband said that would asking for trouble as guests would try lighting them!! RIGHT!!! So I got the kind with no wick.;-)
They'll still try to light them. I forgot about this until this thread. I couldn't figure out why the tips of some o fthe flameless votives in holders in one room were melted. Duh! It's plastic!

Silly = stupid
They'll still try to light them. I forgot about this until this thread. I couldn't figure out why the tips of some o fthe flameless votives in holders in one room were melted. Duh! It's plastic!
Samster said:
So what can you do, but another note out - look buddy TURN THEM ON they're not real!

Silly = stupid
Samster said:
So what can you do, but another note out - look buddy TURN THEM ON they're not real!
That hasn't happened since some early guests - and it was a smoker.

Silly = stupid
Samster said:
Turn them on when you show the guests to the room maybe??

Silly = stupid
Samster said:
Turn them on when you show the guests to the room maybe??
Nah...like JBJ said, guests have a short attention span as it is and I am not getting into a lengthy tour. It really isn't rocket science...it's obvious that they're not wax votives!!!

Back