Silly season has begun

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been helping sort people with accomodation and lost people all yesterday had 10 people who were not my guests but my big neighbour the Kimberley's (Camberley and Kimberley) the first lot the taxi driver dropped them off with me three pieces of hand luggage and 2 huge cases discovered the mistake straight away but the taxi was long gone and the poor couple had come all the way from south America and were quite tired rang the Kimberley to see if they could send a porter for the bags they couldn't for a bit So I left DH in charge and wizzed them round. Then we had 3 lots of people trying to check in and then another 4 looking for people they thought were staying with us but wern't. It gives me ten types of stroke as I worry I have made a mistake and don't have a reservation for them. Oh well I hope that by helping they may come back to me another time or if they are internationals they have a good impression of English people..
I have always had a good impression of English people! :) Sounds like you're very kind and a winner, Camberley!
One tries (my mum says I am very trying) but I always think if you don't like helping people you shouldn't work in customer service? Some people are just not suited! I think it helps because I know a lot about my town and how it works and have 20 years experience. Plus Yorkshire people can be a bit odd as you are not considered a local for about 10 years so it can be intimidating for new people. Plus I am a soft touch for lame ducks lol its why I get stuck with all the mad old dears that no one else wants!
Out here you're not a local until you've lived through a catastrophe. They figure if you don't leave after that, then you must be one of them.

Been helping sort people with accomodation and lost people all yesterday had 10 people who were not my guests but my big neighbour the Kimberley's (Camberley and Kimberley) the first lot the taxi driver dropped them off with me three pieces of hand luggage and 2 huge cases discovered the mistake straight away but the taxi was long gone and the poor couple had come all the way from south America and were quite tired rang the Kimberley to see if they could send a porter for the bags they couldn't for a bit So I left DH in charge and wizzed them round. Then we had 3 lots of people trying to check in and then another 4 looking for people they thought were staying with us but wern't. It gives me ten types of stroke as I worry I have made a mistake and don't have a reservation for them. Oh well I hope that by helping they may come back to me another time or if they are internationals they have a good impression of English people..
Here it requires at least 4 generations of "born here" to be a local (and that does NOT include folks from the next town that is 3 miles away).
My house will never be anything other than the Gillum house no matter how long I own it - and not because of the B & B name but because of the family name. No one ever called it the Harris house (we bought it from them over 20 years after they bought it! The house across the street that was torn down was owned by the Douglas family for over 50 years, but was never anything other than the Lynch house.

Here it requires at least 4 generations of "born here" to be a local (and that does NOT include folks from the next town that is 3 miles away).
My house will never be anything other than the Gillum house no matter how long I own it - and not because of the B & B name but because of the family name. No one ever called it the Harris house (we bought it from them over 20 years after they bought it! The house across the street that was torn down was owned by the Douglas family for over 50 years, but was never anything other than the Lynch house.
Yep, never a local here unless you were born here. AND, you are a Yankee unless you were born in this State. I was born pretty far South, but it doesn't count. They are still fighting the War of Northern Aggression here!

Now getting calls for last minute specials for the holiday weekend. Should I blame this on FaceBook, Wm Shatner, or what?

Now getting calls for last minute specials for the holiday weekend. Should I blame this on FaceBook, Wm Shatner, or what?.
Morticia said:
Now getting calls for last minute specials for the holiday weekend. Should I blame this on FaceBook, Wm Shatner, or what?
And what are you telling them? After you stop screaming. ;)

Now getting calls for last minute specials for the holiday weekend. Should I blame this on FaceBook, Wm Shatner, or what?.
Morticia said:
And what are you telling them? After you stop screaming. ;)
I'm telling them I have no availability it's a holiday weekend! At which point I'm hearing, 'Oh.' That 'last minute deal' thing only works when there are last minute rooms.

More on silly season...just went to turn off the lights around the house and there is a note in the kitchen...Rooms X & Y will be going out for breakfast as 8 AM is too late for them to eat with their young children. And an appended note from someone else telling what Room Z would like to have to eat. Room A has already requested something other than what we're making, but that's ok as this was requested years ago and we do this every year. (Rank has privileges around here!) So, that leaves me 2 rooms that may actually eat what we had planned to make and one room that, for some reason, thinks they are supposed to place an order the night before.
Silly season is off and running!

Yes, it is Silly Season... Guests said they would be checking in today at 3-4 when they booked. This morning I received and email saying it would be closer to 7. (nice huh). They call at 6:50 "we got some terrible directions & we won't be there until about 9". Me - where are you? - Two states away!!! Good thing they are traveling through a very narrow part of those 2 states!!! But it is now 10 and still no sign of them! GRRRRRRR.

Yes, it is Silly Season... Guests said they would be checking in today at 3-4 when they booked. This morning I received and email saying it would be closer to 7. (nice huh). They call at 6:50 "we got some terrible directions & we won't be there until about 9". Me - where are you? - Two states away!!! Good thing they are traveling through a very narrow part of those 2 states!!! But it is now 10 and still no sign of them! GRRRRRRR..
So, now it is almost 11, no word from them and I am beat! I call their cell and they tell me the city they are passing now...STILL AN HOUR away. How could that be? They said they had not reached the city they had told me before - they had just seen billboards with that sign... Oh brother!!!
The thoughts of giving them self check info go racing through my brain... I know that there is NO WAY they would be able to swing it.

More on silly season...just went to turn off the lights around the house and there is a note in the kitchen...Rooms X & Y will be going out for breakfast as 8 AM is too late for them to eat with their young children. And an appended note from someone else telling what Room Z would like to have to eat. Room A has already requested something other than what we're making, but that's ok as this was requested years ago and we do this every year. (Rank has privileges around here!) So, that leaves me 2 rooms that may actually eat what we had planned to make and one room that, for some reason, thinks they are supposed to place an order the night before.
Silly season is off and running!.
3 rooms left to go out for breakfast (and the kids had cereal before going out!) and one room left early. And we're not even serving quiche!

3 rooms left to go out for breakfast (and the kids had cereal before going out!) and one room left early. And we're not even serving quiche!
We have 7 people for breakfast this morning, and only two eat bacon - the rest are veggies. Tomorrow, with a full house, we have 4 bacon eaters, 2 turkey bacon eaters and 5 veggies again.

We have 7 people for breakfast this morning, and only two eat bacon - the rest are veggies. Tomorrow, with a full house, we have 4 bacon eaters, 2 turkey bacon eaters and 5 veggies again.
I'll eat their bacon.
teeth_smile.gif

I'm just gonna keep this going...
4 guests (incoming for today) just rang the bell (yes, 10 AM) and asked to come in and watch the soccer game that starts at 10. I had to send them away, we have barely started to clean and I don't need 4 people sitting in my living room yelling 'goal' all day!
Also had a 'heated discussion' break out in the dining room this morning over what the spouse could eat or not eat which gets ugly when they put us in the middle.

Morticia said:
And then they came back and one of the rooms had breakfast with us, too.

So my guests finally checked in at 12:17. I had to go to bed and left DSH (Dear Sweet husband - for really special times) to handle the check-in. So this morning I had to bite my lips to keep from asking how they ended up in a state they shouldn't have been in in the first place. And to top it off - I was going to give them directions to a tour I had arranged for them but she replies "is it in GPS?" HUH! Oh brother!

I'll eat their bacon.
teeth_smile.gif

You will have to fight me for it! I love crisp bacon!

And the season continues...had guests here last week who were 'bookending' their stay...a few nights last week, another night tonight. It's 1 PM and they let themselves in the house and went to 'their' room. The only way we knew they were here is we saw their car outside. Just waltzed in 2 hours early, didn't ring the bell, just used the door code to open the door. I'm going to have to start changing the code when we have 'bookenders'. Luckily, the room was cleaned.

And the season continues...had guests here last week who were 'bookending' their stay...a few nights last week, another night tonight. It's 1 PM and they let themselves in the house and went to 'their' room. The only way we knew they were here is we saw their car outside. Just waltzed in 2 hours early, didn't ring the bell, just used the door code to open the door. I'm going to have to start changing the code when we have 'bookenders'. Luckily, the room was cleaned..
and luckily...it was their room:-(

And the season continues...had guests here last week who were 'bookending' their stay...a few nights last week, another night tonight. It's 1 PM and they let themselves in the house and went to 'their' room. The only way we knew they were here is we saw their car outside. Just waltzed in 2 hours early, didn't ring the bell, just used the door code to open the door. I'm going to have to start changing the code when we have 'bookenders'. Luckily, the room was cleaned..
Luckily no one was in 'their' room....

Back